Our attacking 3 is going to kill teams this season.

Oaks

Thought something similar after the 3-1 away to Liverpool. :rolleyes:

Our next game after that was Chelsea away..

We all know what happened there, and the run of results which followed. Lets see how much we've progressed, eh?

Think they're way ahead of where they were then.

Errr that was the point of the thread. In the OP I mentioned our "defencive problems" I decided to balance it off by praising what we are good at, and our top 3

Fair enough. I put you in the "let's ignore the negatives" camp. My mistake :)

Errr that was the point of the thread. In the OP I mentioned our "defencive problems" I decided to balance it off by praising what we are good at, and our top 3

Or rather than trying to pigeon hole people for making a thread about one of the team's strengths and punctuating with a condescending smiley face you could use this thread to discuss our front 3 and the other thread to discuss the defensive issues.

Using this thread to complain about this thread's existence, and attempting to imply this thread's creation is an attempt to ignore problems rather than just give them a fuller perspective, is a little bit silly I think. :)

• Like 1

Or rather than trying to pigeon hole people for making a thread about one of the team's strengths and punctuating with a condescending smiley face you could use this thread to discuss our front 3 and the other thread to discuss the defensive issues.

The OP mimicked my words and wrote that the other thread needed to be "counter acted" against. I thought he was pigeon holing. I have apologised to him.

But my post in this thread was arguing for keeping an open mind, i.e. against pigeon holing. Good man for missing the point.

I've been predicting all pre-season that with our front 3 we are going to be this seasons ` Great Entertainers.` We are not frightened to toe to toe it with anyone & we can definitely hurt the rich teams on the counter attack too. We will be involved in some truly ridiculous scorelines this season, mark my words. I also predict that we will be involved in the all time classic Premiership game ever played. Something truly ridiculous, like a 6-5 result either way at Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford. Lets face it, we don't know any other way to play.

Somebody, somewhere is gonna' be on the end of a right good walloping from us this season & Benteke will definitely score 5 goals in one match because even at half pace he is still finding the back of the net, so god help the opposition when he's at full kilter. I wouldn't put it past him to score a double hat trick either & take home two match balls.

Away from home it's not just the pace of our front 3 either. Judge for yourselves but unless my eyes deceived me wasn't that our left back doing an impression of Usain Bolt from inside of his own half to run away & finish with aplomb at the Emirates yesterday or what?. Take a bow Tony Moon son, Take a bow.

How can the opposition account for that? Sublime or ridiculous who cares, it's their problem to solve.

Also, as other posters highlight too, if Benteke or Weimann aren't  firing then  `The Gabster ` steps up to the plate & vice versa.

The power, pace, movement & finishing prowess of our front 3 means the majority of our opponents will be brickin' it & playing in brown shorts when they face us.

Even more terrifying for them, imagine what our front three would be like with that elusive AM pulling the strings behind them, especially when we play at home?

Scary.

Let the good times roll.

Edited by villa-revolution
  • Like 3

We all know what happened there, and the run of results which followed. Lets see how much we've progressed, eh?

Problem with that game (Chelsea away last season) was Benitez was trying to win the fans over - they just didn't let up. Contrast that to today v Hull - 2-0 up, they control the game but ease off - mindful of upcoming games. If for some reason they needed 6 goals against hull - they probably could have got them

Problem with that game (Chelsea away last season) was Benitez was trying to win the fans over - they just didn't let up. Contrast that to today v Hull - 2-0 up, they control the game but ease off - mindful of upcoming games. If for some reason they needed 6 goals against hull - they probably could have got them

I agree with your observation here Smetrov. Chelsea's movement & intricacy is frightening. When their at it better watch out. Hopefully we wont let them play on the edge of our box because that could be disasterous. It will be interesting to see what plan Mourinho comes up with to counter our prodigious front 3. One things for sure, Terry, Ivanovic, Cole, Cahill et al will know they have been in a game & will surely be tested more than the like of Hull City offered up.

if Kenny miller can make cahill look bang average then im sure we can get some joy out of him

will also be interesting to see how far ivanovic / cole push up, today they spent a lot of the game going forward, hopefully gabby / andi keep them pinned in

• Like 1

There's a negative thread on this forum about our defencive problems, so I've decided to counter act that by looking at our positive area of our team, the front 3.

Ah yeah.

Legitimate criticism of the defence should not only be overlooked, but counter acted against.  :rolleyes:

How about we stop covering our eyes and talk realistically about both strengths and weaknesses?

Is that not exactly what both threads are doing?

• Like 1

Think there is some posts getting slightly carried away. Definitely our strongest area on the pitch however, should Benteke get injured, I am not sure it would be anywhere near the same. 

And if Van Persie is injured the Man Utd front line looks nowhere near the same.

And if Bale is injured for Spurs their front line looks no where near the same.

etc... etc...

No!!!!!!

• Like 1

But my post in this thread was arguing for keeping an open mind, i.e. against pigeon holing. Good man for missing the point.

Amnesia must be a real burden, even for someone so humble and genuine. Your post where you said "I put you in the 'let's ignore the negatives' camp" was against pigeon holing? :wacko:  You claimed to have put someone in a "camp" based around one negative opinion you have of their mindset.

I'm sure that you're completely right though and for some reason that quote is not a textbook example of pigeon holing and I'm completely missing the point. Good man for putting up with my nonsense.

• Like 1

My only concern with the front three is the lack of creativity within it and behind it. They're great at counter attacking but may not be so good at unpicking teams.

Throw tonev instead of andi and think we would be ok in that case ..

ESPN wrote a good write up about the Arsenal game that I posted in the match thread(Clicky)

I particularly liked the line towards the end of the piece

It's been said before by this writer, but with this trio fit and in form, Villa stand a chance of winning any match.

Edited by Nigel

Â