Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

Chelsea really slowed down at 2-0 today, exactly how you would expect a Mourinho team to be, gave a couple of debuts to the new guys to ease them in. If we fall behind and they ease off again, we have the quality in attack that Palace lack to nick a goal back. If we can nick one...who knows.

At worst, if they ease off it'll stop another 7 or 8 goal drubbing

hoping to get a result of some sort.....just hope we don't get mauled as it will effect Saturdays game

need to approach the game positively but must try and press them... counter is the only chance we have.

we need a big closing down performance Wednesday...we must deny them space.

The longer we can keep it at 0-0 and ease in to the game the more chance of getting something from this. If Chelsea get a lead they will prob let us try and break them down and that's something we struggle with. We need them to get frustrated trying to break us down and then hit them on the break.

As long as we don't get humiliated I'm not too fussed about this one. Anything from the game is a bonus. Get it out the way and then being on the scousers.

If we gift Chelsea a lead in the 5th minute like we did on Saturday then I will truly fear for us. I'm pleased the whole nation won't be watching this on Sky.

Hoping we give them a good go and get stuck into them. It's almost a certainty that Lampard and Torres will score. Hope we remember how well we played against these in May.

If we gift Chelsea a lead in the 5th minute like we did on Saturday then I will truly fear for us. I'm pleased the whole nation won't be watching this on Sky.

Hoping we give them a good go and get stuck into them. It's almost a certainty that Lampard and Torres will score. Hope we remember how well we played against these in May.

Lukaku, people. That's all that really matters. If Chelsea don't play him, we have a chance. If Chelsea do (and why wouldn't they?), we're up bunghole creek without a paddle.

We're younger, faster, brainier, and better-looking against a Chelsea without Lukaku. But bring the kid on, and Benteke's Belgian bro may well neutralise all the good hurt we put on Arsenal last weekend.

All that aside, my bigger concern in this match is that we don't get any needless injuries. I worry our boys are still (unnecessarily) going to try to prove they're not last year's team. This is a bad game to do that. I still think they'll play to win, and I half hope they do, but I worry ... please, stay healthy!

Don't get hurt, don't get totally humiliated, and I'll be pleased. 

Chelsea 3 - AVFC 1

Lukaku is good but its the mixture his game would bring to Chelsea with their midfield. 

Oscar    De Bruyne   Hazard

Torres

tried to walk the ball into the net a lot yesterday, the passing and movement from those 3 behind the striker was superb. Especially from De Bruyne for the 1st goal. That alone is going to be extremely difficult to cope with and still Mata and Schurrle to come. Clark, Luna and Vlaar going up against a battering ram of the one-twos that completely ruined us when Rosicky did it the other day is worrying.

Add in Lukaku, who really helped calm the game down for Chelsea when Hull started to get a foothold yesterday who offers a lot of power and intelligence to an already superbly technical attacking side and we could be in for a trouncing.

Hopefully we can get a goal and give us time to grow in confidence. We'll definitely have to ride our luck. Or if we concede 1st, hopefully Chelsea will ease off and let us back into the game like they did with Hull.

• Like 1

We'll score, but unfortunately I can't see us getting anything out of the game.

A good performance and an acceptable scoreline will be fine. If we take any points it's a bonus.

We have an extremely good record against Mourinho managed Chelsea sides. If I remember correctly, they never beat us on their own turf and we came out about equal on theirs.

I expect that trend to continue - especially if we press like we did against Arsenal. It will be fairly close, even if I expect Chelsea to get the 3 points by the odd goal.

It's all about doing the opposite of what we did last year - getting some players into the middle of the park.

With our 352 formation we were leaving too much space infront of the defense, which they exploited accordingly. If we line up 451 (same personnel but Gabby and Weimann a bit deeper) then this shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

We definately need to change our formation for this one.4-5-1 or even 5-4-1 and try to nick something on the break, and if they go in front then revert back to 4-3-3 cause if we are going to lose then lets go down fighting.

Can't stand these rocket polishers.

Torres could go on a dry run for 5 years and still score against us. Lumpard loves playing us. Terry is scum.

The Mourinho love-in really gets on my dangedangs as well.

• Like 1

We definately need to change our formation for this one.4-5-1 or even 5-4-1 and try to nick something on the break, and if they go in front then revert back to 4-3-3 cause if we are going to lose then lets go down fighting.

The back 5 is dead. Especially a team who tend to set up like CHelsea do.

Our midfield would be absolutely overrun if we played 5 at the back.

• Like 1

The back 5 is dead. Especially a team who tend to set up like CHelsea do.

Our midfield would be absolutely overrun if we played 5 at the back.

Yup - this is the exact problem we had last year. Could not agree more.

As stated a couple of times already on the thread, anything at all from this game would be a bonus, however, I just can't see anything other than a comfortable home victory.

It is obvious with our front three that we are capable of giving any side problems but Chelsea to me looked very impressive in the first half against Hull and I really fear that if they get an early goal then we are in for a very long evening. We struggled at times with little one-twos and quick passing around the box at the Emirates with Rosicky in particular a constant menace and I feel we will have our work cut out defending against the likes of Hazard, Mata, Oscar et al.

Key for me then is not to concede early (obviously this is the case in all games), psychologically I just feel that the longer we can stay in the game at The Bridge, the more confident the players will become and we can create a few chances of our own.

I would stick with the same eleven that took us into a 3-1 leading position, with Clark in for Baker again. Not sure if Sylla is fit for this game and if so there may be a temptation to stick him in the middle for more protection to the back four however I feel that it would be a little unfair on any of Saturday's middle three whom all did admirably.

Head 4-1 Heart 2-3 (I said 2-3 for the Arsenal game and will continue to do so until we lose  ;) )

• Like 1