Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

What is it with footballers these days having fancy double barrelled names? Trent Alexander-Arnold? We need more Bert Postlethwaite type names. 

Forbes Ernest Phillipson-Masters to give him his full name.

Baddiel and Skinner said he sounded like an entire midfield. Seemed like a nice chap when he was their show.

7559A352-5120-4D2E-8484-FA06A92FCB59.jpeg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Forbes Ernest Phillipson-Masters to give him his full name.

Baddiel and Skinner said he sounded like an entire midfield. Seemed like a nice chap when he was their show.

7559A352-5120-4D2E-8484-FA06A92FCB59.jpeg

We have a winner. It's that 'Forbes' that clinches it. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, choffer said:

I don't think FIFA states that...

... which if they don't makes it even more interesting why they forced whoever that is to stay on the pitch?

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think FIFA states that...

... which if they don't makes it even more interesting why they forced whoever that is to stay on the pitch?

I may be wrong but I think that the kick off can be taken as long as nobody from the opposition is in the other half of the pitch. Since players off the pitch are considered as out of play rather than in the Spain half, Spain could have kicked off if the last Portugal player had left the pitch.

4 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I may be wrong but I think that the kick off can be taken as long as nobody from the opposition is in the other half of the pitch. Since players off the pitch are considered as out of play rather than in the Spain half, Spain could have kicked off if the last Portugal player had left the pitch.

But would they have? 

I must admit, I'd have loved to have seen that. 

Edited by mjmooney

Just now, mjmooney said:

But would they have? 

I must admit, I'd have loved to have seen that. 

Yeah, you'd like to think that a team wouldn't. It's a bit similar to the game at St Andrews the other year when Gardner scored and ran back towards our goal to celebrate with the Villa fans. Mike Dean made Jedinak stand in the Blues half so that the kick off couldn't have been taken.

In reality you'd like to think that the refs would use a bit of common sense to stop a team from taking the kick off but I suppose if they're playing by the rules then they'd have to let it stand.

3 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Mike Dean made Jedinak stand in the Blues half so that the kick off couldn't have been taken.

Which, if I were a Blues fan, I'd have been fuming about to this day. 

• Like 2

It sounds one of those "You are the ref" quizzes they used to put in boys' comics. Always some bizarre combination of unlikely events and obscure rules. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

Yeah, you'd like to think that a team wouldn't. It's a bit similar to the game at St Andrews the other year when Gardner scored and ran back towards our goal to celebrate with the Villa fans. Mike Dean made Jedinak stand in the Blues half so that the kick off couldn't have been taken.

In reality you'd like to think that the refs would use a bit of common sense to stop a team from taking the kick off but I suppose if they're playing by the rules then they'd have to let it stand.

Blimey, never thought I'd see the words Mike Dean and common sense so close together.

He certainly wouldn't have done that if we had been playing Arsenal.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The current Street Fighter champion is British, having won the tournament at the prestige fighting game championship Evo last week. It's the first time a Brit has won the Street Fighter title at the event, and only the second time a Brit has won any official tournament there, the last one being a guy winning a Tekken title a decade ago.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

The current Street Fighter champion is British, having won the tournament at the prestige fighting game championship Evo last week. It's the first time a Brit has won the Street Fighter title at the event, and only the second time a Brit has won any official tournament there, the last one being a guy winning a Tekken title a decade ago.

I think I saw that video. IIRC he was Ryu and he beat Chun Li by the proverbial fanny hair in the decider. 

49 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think I saw that video. IIRC he was Ryu and he beat Chun Li by the proverbial fanny hair in the decider. 

The final was Akuma v Bison, the defending champion as Akuma and the Brit using Bison. Bison is an odd choice, I don't think that's a character many top players use.

The match isn't that close because of the odd organisation of the tournament - in the final the Brit needed to win a single best of 5 set, the other guy needed to win 3 I think. He takes the first set just about but the Brit never looked flustered.

Â