Madrid

Demitri_C

• 2 weeks later...

ive been Madrid a few times. for me its better than Barcelona though was only in latter for 2 days. has a good nightlife and in some spots was very cheap for good food and drink. might not be great weather in february though though was 30 when there in October before

• Like 2

It's nothing like Barcelona, it's much less tourist orientated, and doesn't have lots of big tourist attractions. It feels a lot more genuinely Spanish than Barca and that makes it a lot more interesting. We had a great time just going around the bars, eating tapas and trying to talk to the locals. What struck me most about the place was how friendly everyone was. 

This was all pre-crisis though, so don't know if any of that changed. 

stayed around Bilbao myself which seemed very central but was visiting friends so they knew all the good places to go and shortcuts. If you go definitely get to Bernabeu. an awesome sight though not if have vertigo

Been quite a few times with work. Agree with the comments re it being more of a working city than Barcelona. In winter it can and does get bloody cold ! But it's a good place and you can people watch quite a bit and see "real" people as opposed to Russian tourists and pickpockets as you get in Barcelona 

Personally I like Valencia and Seville as Spanish cities to visit - again been a few times and loved it every time 

drat01, on 05 Sept 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

Demitri_C, on 04 Sept 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

did you see any flamenco shows by any chance? considering taking the missus to one

NO!  .............  I found the pink birds kept falling over as we approached them 

almost  ..... almost  got a chuckle out of me :)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

BUMP!

Hey guys. Off to Madrid this weekend with the lovely lady (her birthday present for me, she's played a blinder).

Just bumping this for any advice on stuff to do.

We don't really have any plans yet apart from going to see Real Madrid on the Sunday. Tickets for that are already booked. We'll probably do a stadium tour one of the days too.

I'm going to spend this week researching a few things to do, although I'm sure we'll do a fair amount of just wandering around via bars and restaurants. So any advice welcomed!

We're staying at the Dormidcine in the Salamance district. Don't know much about it but it's relatively close to the Bernabeau, close to metro stations to get to the centre and I'm led to believe there's plenty of bars and restaurants in that area anyway.

Fire away!

If any fellas come up to you and start doing a weird leg dance whilst they distract you by talking about English Real Madrid players you're in the process of being robbed ;)

Remember though, they aren't the smartest. They'll probably be counting the money in the same spot where they stole it and they don't take a punch too well.

On 1/24/2016 at 20:43, Stevo985 said:

BUMP!

Hey guys. Off to Madrid this weekend with the lovely lady (her birthday present for me, she's played a blinder).

Just bumping this for any advice on stuff to do.

We don't really have any plans yet apart from going to see Real Madrid on the Sunday. Tickets for that are already booked. We'll probably do a stadium tour one of the days too.

I'm going to spend this week researching a few things to do, although I'm sure we'll do a fair amount of just wandering around via bars and restaurants. So any advice welcomed!

We're staying at the Dormidcine in the Salamance district. Don't know much about it but it's relatively close to the Bernabeau, close to metro stations to get to the centre and I'm led to believe there's plenty of bars and restaurants in that area anyway.

Fire away!

I went madrid a couple years ago was really nice city. Go check out this flamenco show http://www.corraldelamoreria.com/landingpage/english/flamenco-madrid-show-restaurant.html?gclid=CJTt0LuKx8oCFUI8GwodDLYK7g its one of the best in Spain

Dont get the food though its expensive and shit glad we just went for the show. Sol is main town center I think its on the yellow line. Also be warned for a capital city then dont speak much English at all!! Which was very wierd as when I went barcelona they spoke a lot of English there. But you will definitely have a great time, people are friendly if you can communicate with them!

• Like 1

Don't worry, I'm 2 and a half years into Spanish lessons so I'm prepared for the lack of English :)

Cheers for the tips.

I've seen something online for a Madrid card, so I think we might get that. €60 for two days but gives you free access to hundreds of things. The Real Madrid tour is on there, for example, and that's €20 on it's own, so I think that'll be worth it.

It'll also give us plenty of ideas of stuff to do.

No worries, when you get to madrid ask about a train ticket from what i remember they do something similar to a oyster card for tourists works out  alot cheaper. Ask at the tourist desk by the station

Its a lovely city, food is very good as well. felt evry safe there. I stayed in Monclea which was a great location

last time I was there it was something like 4 or 5 euro for 10 trips on the metro. Metro is brilliant though and if go our drinking it starts again when the bars are closing. think they only didnt run from 2-5

Bernabeu is a definite must-see, also the Retiro is nice par if you get a fine day. Also a visit to Cibeles just because its location of all Real celebrations

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

I think we're going to do a fair bit of walking around the city looking at squares and buildings and other sites as the weather is forecast to be really good (16 degrees and sunshine). Cibeles is on the list for that reason :)

Can't wait for the Bernabeu. Will be nice to compare the stadium and tour to the Camp Nou, but I never got to see a game in Barcelona so I'm especially looking forward to the Real game.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I think we're going to do a fair bit of walking around the city looking at squares and buildings and other sites as the weather is forecast to be really good (16 degrees and sunshine). Cibeles is on the list for that reason :)

Can't wait for the Bernabeu. Will be nice to compare the stadium and tour to the Camp Nou, but I never got to see a game in Barcelona so I'm especially looking forward to the Real game.

Out of the two i preferred the nou camp! Had a more modern feel to it. But like bernabeau too. Its a good stadium nore traditional. I also liked the photos they do (you see when you go)

Madrid is a massive city so if you enjoy walking your covered.  Oh and their paella is lovely in Madrid 

Â