A moment of silence for Downing's career

Spoony

_69258546_stewart_downing_whu.jpg

13 August 2013Last updated at 13:18

Stewart Downing: West Ham sign Liverpool's England winger By Mandeep SangheraBBC Sport

West Ham United have signed England winger Stewart Downing from Liverpool for a fee of about £5m.

The 29-year-old has agreed a four-year contract with Sam Allardyce's side and follows striker Andy Carroll in swapping Anfield for Upton Park.

West Ham's summer signings
  • Andy Carroll (£15m, Liverpool)
  • Stewart Downing (undisclosed, Liverpool)
  • Razvan Rat (Free, Shakhtar)
  • Adrian (Free, Real Betis)
  • Danny Whitehead (undisclosed, Stockport)

Downing was signed by Liverpool in a £20m deal from Aston Villa in 2011.

"I'm very excited. It's a great opportunity for me being here, it's a great club and I'm really excited to get going," said Downing.

"I've played a decent few games for Liverpool in pre-season, so there will be no problems on that front."

Brendan Rodgers, who replaced Kenny Dalglish as Liverpool boss, criticised Downing shortly after taking over at Anfield, and picked him at left-back as well as on the wing.

Stewart Downing factfile
  • England caps: 34
  • England goals: 0
  • Teams: Middlesbrough, Sunderland (loan), Aston Villa, Liverpool, West Ham

Downing, who has 34 international caps and was part of England's Euro 2012 squad, scored five times in 45 appearances for the Reds in the 2012-13 campaign and registered seven goals in 91 matches for the club overall.

He revealed last December he had been told he could leave Anfield.

Downing's arrival is West Ham's fifth summer signing, including the permanent transfer of Downing's former team-mate Carroll.

Carroll joined Liverpool for £35m in January 2011 but moved to West Ham in a £15m deal earlier this summer following a season on loan with the Hammers.

I'm delighted to see his big move to Liverpool fall apart after the way he treated us.

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember Downing's career.

dont know. Can he recapture the form he had at Villa, its hard for wingers who lose form to get it back. Young, Nani, Johnson all look hopeless these days even Valencia is struggling get back where he was 2 years ago

Apart from Gerrard, he was the 2nd highest fantasy scorer for Liverpool last season.  So he wasn't as bad as our blinkers might make out.  Granted the likes of Coutinho with a full season would've caught him no problem, but I think at £5m he's great value for the Hammers.  We know what he's capable of and on his day he's a £20m player so if the Shammers can get a fraction of what he can do then they'll have a good player on their hands.

Putting the way he left us to one side for a moment, I think at £5m thats actually a good deal for West Ham.

4 year mega wage contract for a 29 yeard old?  The fee may be decent but the contract length / value does not make this a good deal. Must be on at least 50K pw,  maybe even 60k.  That's  £17M in wages and fee they have pissed up the wall just there on what will be zero return by the time his contract expires

• Like 1

Posted in the other thread too, but the most successful season Downing had in the league was a 6th place finish with... Aston Villa.

Liverpool offered nothing but mid table obscurity and a somewhat fortunate league cup win.

• Like 1

He's been signed to put the ball on Carroll's head then...route one tactics.

Problem is, his crossing ability isn't any better than Jarvis, downings best football for us was playing right wing cutting in, this has already been proved with Carroll at Liverpool and 35caps for England and been utterly useless in all of them.

I never rated him pre villa, I was gutted when he left cus that season under houllier he was probably our best player but in glad his career amhas gone tits up and will now play out his days kicking aimless balls to that donkey Carroll.

A winger putting the ball on Carroll's head isn't route one anyway.  James Collins putting the ball on Carroll's head would be route one (and that might happen in any event).  They should never have sold Etherington.  Downing will plug that gap.

How do Liverplop keep affording this? Huge losses on Downing and Carroll. What is it about 3 years without CL football? I know for some reason they are stilll seen as a big club and sell loads of shirts, but Anfield is small. I think they have 12 exec boxes or something. Downing might do okay at West Ham- he has found his level. Mid table nothingness.

A winger putting the ball on Carroll's head isn't route one anyway.  James Collins putting the ball on Carroll's head would be route one (and that might happen in any event).  

am sure the media (Big Sam mates) they call that a long pass ;)

Â