Premier League Managers - Where do you rate them?

Mark8691

1. Jose Mourinho (Chelsea)
  2. Arsene Wenger (Arsenal)
  3. Andre Villas-Boas (Tottenham)
  4. David Moyes (Man Utd)
  5. Mauricio Pellegrini (Man City)
  6. Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool)
  7. Paul Lambert (Aston Villa)
  8. Michael Laudrup (Swansea)
  9. Sam Allardyce (West Ham)
  10. Roberto Martinez (Everton)
  11. Steve Clarke (West Brom)
  12. Malky Mackay (Cardiff)
  13. Mauricio Pocchetino (Southampton)
  14. Martin Jol (Fulham)
  15. Alan Pardew (Newcastle)
  16. Chris Hughton (Norwich)
  17. Mark Hughes (Stoke)
  18. Ian Holloway (Crystal Palace)
  19. Steve Bruce (Hull)
  20. Paolo Di Canio (Sunderland)

I'd definitely have Martinez ahead of Sam. Pellegrini has done nothing yet to merit a top 5 place. Other than that I agree with the list.

Sam has a better record than Martinez, though the style obviously isn't as good. As for Pellegrini, all he did was finish second in Spain while getting them to the UCL semis, and took Malaga to the UCL quarters, but I guess that's nothing?

Still think Kean would've taken Blackburn back up though. Stupid decision to sack him when they did.

No he wouldn't have. The luck rovers had in the first seven games was unbelievable, just opponents missing chance after chance. Everyone who watched those games could see it wasn't sustainable. And there's the whole part that he wasn't sacked, he actually resigned

Still think Kean would've taken Blackburn back up though. Stupid decision to sack him when they did.

No he wouldn't have. The luck rovers had in the first seven games was unbelievable, just opponents missing chance after chance. Everyone who watched those games could see it wasn't sustainable. And there's the whole part that he wasn't sacked, he actually resigned

Fair enough. Didn't watch the games so can't dispute that.

• Like 1

I'd definitely have Martinez ahead of Sam. Pellegrini has done nothing yet to merit a top 5 place. Other than that I agree with the list.

Sam has a better record than Martinez, though the style obviously isn't as good. As for Pellegrini, all he did was finish second in Spain while getting them to the UCL semis, and took Malaga to the UCL quarters, but I guess that's nothing?

And took Villarreal to the semi-finals as well. 

Obviously not as impressive as just being quite good with Norwich and Swansea.

Only a Villa fan would think Lambert is better then Laudrup.

I'd bet that Norwich fans would if they didn't hate him now

Yes possibly them too. The majority still rate him despite hating him.

I think Steve Bruce should be a bit higher.

It's anti SHA sentiment. Bruce is a decent manager and should be higher than certain names appearing above him on some of the lists. He's had a mixed record as manager, but so have most of those apart from the real top class managers and those who haven't been in management all that long. I think he's done a good job in getting Hull into the PL and I think he'll keep them there which will be a more than a decent achievement.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I was wrong on Steve Bruce, done a brilliant job at Hull this season, cup final and comfortably survived.

He's a bit of a lower half Moyes though, he struggled at Sunderland and no chance he'd have done aswell at Everton as Martinez given it's comparable to what he did with Wigan last season.

Mark Hughes bottom baffled me then and still does, aside from the disaster at QPR he's actually done really good jobs at all the other prem clubs he's been at on limited resources, At Man. City things changed completely overnight which meant he struggled but he still signed some really good players for them.

He's someone who struggles with money, but when he has to be resourceful he comes up with brilliant signings. Sort of like big Sam in that way I suppose.

Also, on Bruce, I agree he would've struggled at everton or Liverpool, but the job he did at Wigan was possibly better than Martinez.

Edited by Rovers13

Â