Premier League Managers - Where do you rate them?

Mark8691

How would you rate the managers in the Premier League? I based them mainly on what they've done in England, and admit i don't know enough about a few of them. Some in the lower half are young and not had time to prove anything yet and i'm certain will go on to prove better than some of the old faces who have achieved little but are higher at the moment.

But would be interested to see how you rate the managers

1. Jose Mourinho (Chelsea)
2. Arsene Wenger (Arsenal)
3. David Moyes (Man Utd)
4. Martin Jol (Fulham)
5. Paul Lambert (Aston Villa)
6. Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool)
7. Andre Villas Boas (Tottenham)
8. Sam Allardyce (West Ham)
9. Roberto Martinez (Everton)
10. Pelegrini (Man City) (no nothing about him so put him in the middle)
11. Steve Bruce (Hull)
12. Mark Hughes (Stoke)
13. Alan Pardew (Newcastle)
14. Michael Laudrup (Swansea)
15. Chris Houghton (Norwich)
16. Malky McKay (Cardiff)
17. Ian Holloway (Crystal Palace)
18. Steve Clarke (West Brom)
19. Mauricio Pochettino (southampton) (again no nothing - but had no time to prove anything yet)
20. Paulo Di Canio (Sunderland)

For me you can only really judge managers on how they do compared to how their team should do, taking into account financial abilities, etc. 

With that aside, here it goes.

1. Jose Mourinho- Amazing record, won the CL with two teams that definitely didn't have the best squad in the competition, most players actually seem to like despite seeming egotistical, maybe will be the best ever.

2. Manuel Pellegrini- Job with Villareal was unreal. Town of 40,000 people, yet he got them into the champions league group stages (including beating Moyes' Everton) multiple times and to a semi that they lost due to a missed penalty. Went to Real and didn't do bad job, got them 96 points which was then a club record, then last year he took financially crippled Malaga all the way to the CL quarters where they were denied by one of the most amazing comebacks and two missed offsides on one play. 

3. Moyes- Got promotion with Preston then almost  another promotion, then moved to Everton where his team consistently finished higher than clubs with more money. 

4. Paul Lambert- Record is really good. Took Wycombe to league two playoffs and a cup semi, then moved to Colchester for a year before smashing Norwich 7-1. Week later took over same Norwich team and got back to back promotions and consolidated in the prem. So those jobs he all did really, really well at, overachieved. Then at Villa had to replace basically a lot of the starting eleven while trying to cut the wage bill and still stayed up. 

5. Wenger- A few years ago probably would've been one or two, as many of his methods were ahead of the game. But people caught up and he hasn't really adapted well. A little too rigid at this point to be as high as he once would've been. 

6. Sam Allardyce- He's succeeded at a number of different clubs, almost always having them overachieve (except newcastle). Once won promotion in March with Notts County and he once finished sixth with Bolton. Then he was very good at Blackburn, has been good at West Ham, and didn't get a lot of time at Newcastle but didn't do a great job. 

I accidentally clicked post after two so i can't just keep this as a draft, and I'm really tired, so those are the first six i guess. Probably finish this tomorrow

Edited by Rovers13

Tier 1:

Tier 2:
3. Andre Villas Boas (Tottenham) 

4.  Pelegrini (Man City) 

5. David Moyes (Man Utd)

6.  Paul Lambert (Aston Villa) 

7. Michael Laudrup (Swansea)  

Tier 3:

8. Martin Jol (Fulham) 

9. Roberto Martinez (Everton) 

10. Steve Clarke (West Brom)   

11.Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool)

Tier 4:

12. Sam Allardyce (West Ham)

13. Mark Hughes (Stoke) 

14. Mauricio Pochettino (Southampton) 

17. Alan Pardew (Newcastle)
18.Ian Holloway (Crystal Palace)  

19. Steve Bruce (Hull)

1. Mourinho

2. Wenger

3. Pellegrini 

4. Moyes 

5. AVB 

6. Laudrup

7. Lambert (Hasn't yet done anything with us, if we kick on to 6th-8th or win a cup then he'll be higher)

8. Rodgers 

9. Clarke

10. Pochettino

11. Houghton

12. Martinez

13. Allardyce

14. Jol

15. Mackay

16. Hughes

17. Holloway

18. Di Canio

19. Bruce

20. Pardew

stopped reading at Martin Jol number 4. the man is a fraud as a manager and has no idea how to build a squad or teams to defend. to have him ahead of Laudrup, AVB, Pellegrini, even Allardyce and Hughes is shocking

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

Tier 1:

Tier 2:

3. Andre Villas Boas (Tottenham)

4. Pelegrini (Man City)

5. David Moyes (Man Utd)

6. Paul Lambert (Aston Villa)

7. Michael Laudrup (Swansea)

Tier 3:

8. Martin Jol (Fulham)

10. Steve Clarke (West Brom)

11.Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool)

Tier 4:

12. Sam Allardyce (West Ham)

13. Mark Hughes (Stoke)

14. Mauricio Pochettino (Southampton)

17. Alan Pardew (Newcastle)

18.Ian Holloway (Crystal Palace)

19. Steve Bruce (Hull)

I can't be bothered writing out my own but this is pretty much what I would have put.

The only issue I have is that Lambert and Rogers have pretty similar CVs, either Lambert should be lower or Rogers higher.

Edited by LondonLax

I can't be bothered writing out my own but this is pretty much what I would have put.

The only issue I have is that Lambert and Rogers have pretty similar CVs, either Lambert should be lower or Rogers higher.

Yea, tbh I put them in terms of my own preference, as in who I'd take for Villa. Obviously in terms of personal accolades and CVs our Lambo is being helped by the inner homer in me :) 

How would you rate the managers in the Premier League? I based them mainly on what they've done in England, and admit i don't know enough about a few of them. Some in the lower half are young and not had time to prove anything yet and i'm certain will go on to prove better than some of the old faces who have achieved little but are higher at the moment.

But would be interested to see how you rate the managers

3. David Moyes (Man Utd)

4. Martin Jol (Fulham)

5. Paul Lambert (Aston Villa)

6. Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool)

7. Andre Villas Boas (Tottenham)

8. Sam Allardyce (West Ham)

10. Pelegrini (Man City) (no nothing about him so put him in the middle)

11. Steve Bruce (Hull)

12. Mark Hughes (Stoke)

13. Alan Pardew (Newcastle)

14. Michael Laudrup (Swansea)

17. Ian Holloway (Crystal Palace)

18. Steve Clarke (West Brom)

19. Mauricio Pochettino (southampton) (again no nothing - but had no time to prove anything yet)

AVB has won the europa league, Pellegrini took Madrid to their highest ever points total in La Liga. Should be higher those two. Laudrup won a trophy in his first season in England and plays great football with Swansea and Hughton took Newcastle up, took Blues to the play offs and kept Norwich up comfortably. Don't think those two should be below the likes of Bruce and Hughes. Lambert I would have somewhere around 10th I guess.

Edited by bradarmstrong_

2. Manuel Pellegrini (Man City)

3. Arsene Wenger (Arsenal)

4. Paul Lambert (Aston Villa)

5. Andre Villas-Boas (Tottenham)

6. David Moyes (Man Utd)

7. Michael Laudrup (Swansea)

8. Malky McKay (Cardiff)

9. Sam Allardyce (West Ham)

10. Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool)

11. Chris Hughton (Norwich)

12. Steve Clarke (West Brom)

13. Steve Bruce (Hull)

14. Roberto Martinez (Everton)

15. Martin Jol (Fulham)

16. Ian Holloway (Crystal Palace)

17. Mauricio Pochettino (Southampton)

18. Alan Pardew (Newcastle)

19. Paulo Di Canio (Sunderland)

20. Mark Hughes (Stoke)

In the last few Yrs Rodgers and lambert have very similar cvs, and in the prem Rodgers has finished higher. Not too sure how people have them so far apart

I kind of disagree. In management in England, Lambert's job with Norwich was better than Swansea cause he had to get two straight promotions and his team still finished higher than Rodgers Swansea. Before that, Lambert did a pretty good job with Colchester and Wycombe, while Rodgers was average with Watford and a disaster at Reading. last year was a wash as neither did amazing but they both had challenging jobs for different reasons. So I definitely think Lambert should rate higher than Rodgers.

Edited by Rovers13
  • Like 1

You'd have to say Lambert made his own success to while Rodgers was really only finishing what Martinez started at Swansea.

Pretty much this.

But more than that, infact. Swansea's footballing philosophy actually goes far back beyond Martinez and Rodgers. It is a philosophy that has been in place for a number of years, and runs through the club at all levels. Managers at all levels are carefully selected to buy into their footballing ways, and pick up where the last manager left off. Players are carefully selected for their ability to play 'the Swansea way', even the goalkeeper was bought (partly) because of his ball playing ability.

Which is why Liverpool's appointment of Rodgers was particularly ill founded. They thought that just because they poached their manager, they would all of a sudden start playing Swansea's possession football. It takes much more than one man.

Anyway:

Best manager would be Mourinho

Most overrated would be Moyes (Unless we're talking about Villa fans, in which case Lambert)

Most underrated would be the painfully unfashionable Allardyce

Worst would be Hughes or Di Canio

Some of the managers fulfil different roles to their contemporaries and some are far better in certain areas of their jobs than they are in others.

Overall BOF's list is pretty good except Brenton should be higher and Holloway should be lower.

It's a tough question to answer because I don't think Jose could do Lamberts job and maybe vice versa.

I've noticed a few have Holloway and Di Canio above Steve Bruce for instance, I find that quite frankly rediculous, and I have no idea how good a manager Martinez is.

You'd have to say Lambert made his own success to while Rodgers was really only finishing what Martinez started at Swansea.

Pretty much this.

But more than that, infact. Swansea's footballing philosophy actually goes far back beyond Martinez and Rodgers. It is a philosophy that has been in place for a number of years, and runs through the club at all levels. Managers at all levels are carefully selected to buy into their footballing ways, and pick up where the last manager left off. Players are carefully selected for their ability to play 'the Swansea way', even the goalkeeper was bought (partly) because of his ball playing ability.

Which is why Liverpool's appointment of Rodgers was particularly ill founded. They thought that just because they poached their manager, they would all of a sudden start playing Swansea's possession football. It takes much more than one man.

Anyway:

Best manager would be Mourinho

Most overrated would be Moyes (Unless we're talking about Villa fans, in which case Lambert)

Most underrated would be the painfully unfashionable Allardyce

Worst would be Hughes or Di Canio

How is Moyes overrated? His Everton team consistently finished higher than sides with more money and even got top four once. He's always done a solid job, I'm not sure how he's overrated. At this point he's probably underrated because everyone seems to think he'll fail at Man U. Agree on Mourinho and Allardyce though.

Â