Athletics

mikeyp102

Can't believe this is our first 1,500 m gold since 1983.  We used to dominate this event when I was a nipper.  Coe, Ovett, Cram.  We ruled the world.

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Can't believe this is our first 1,500 m gold since 1983.  We used to dominate this event when I was a nipper.  Coe, Ovett, Cram.  We ruled the world.

Then Africa happened :D 

Edited by sne

OK so NIKE has been gifted their World Championship, now lets never give it to the US again.

The tiny stadium is barely 1/3 full most days, no one over there cares. Due to it's construction it's really not suited to any events that's effect by wind.

The athletes lives in cramped student dorms with no AC, communal showers and toilets and beds that would make any Olympic village look like a 5 star resort apparently. The US athletes of course doesn't live like that. The live in nice hotels but since Eugene is a tiny city that's not an option for other nations as it's fully booked everwhere.

The medals are made of wood and are gifted to the athletes the same second the competition is over and there is no real medal ceremony.

There is also the fact that NIKE/Oregon/the US were handed the competition without voting due to corruption from ex president Lamine Diack who is now in jail and his disciple Lord Sebastian Coe who at the time was still on the pay roll at NIKE. NIKE of course is based in Eugene Oregon where the Championship is.

And lets not get started on the now cancelled NIKE- Oregon project and Alberto Salazar.

The whole thing is rotten to the core.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

Just saw the Sydney McLaughlin time in the 400 hurdles. Thats a Bolt level race and time :o 50.68. 0.73 better than her own WR wich was eons ahead of everyone else already. Please dont be suffed with mexican suplements!!

Armand Duplantis with a new WR in the pole Jump. 6.21 with almost 10 cm of air between him and the bar.

Shame the stadium was once again half empty because there were some cracking events on the final day.

5 hours ago, sne said:

Armand Duplantis with a new WR in the pole Jump. 6.21 with almost 10 cm of air between him and the bar.

Shame the stadium was once again half empty because there were some cracking events on the final day.

Another fantastic day. Tobi Amusan smashes the 100m hurdles record in the semi. And again in the final but wind-assisted

9 minutes ago, Tegis said:

Another fantastic day. Tobi Amusan smashes the 100m hurdles record in the semi. And again in the final but wind-assisted

spacer.png

• Haha 2

Enjoyed watching the meet, apart from the time zone.  Seems like British Athletics is making a  bit of a recovery, especially in the middle distances, and gets me ready for the Commonwealth games.  I think the Worlds is one of the sports events that is increasingly being shoe-horned in the summer schedules due to the never ending football season.

• 3 weeks later...

The European championship starts next week in Munich. The organizers have decided to put the Marathons mid day because they want big crowds around the track through the city.

It's 30 °C in Munich but they refuse to change the starting time despite athletes protests.

What a difference with actual people in the stands. I reckon the 70000 Olympic stadium is at least at 85% capacity.

Hang your head in shame Oregon

The crowds at the Munich Olympic stadium for these Euros are really weird. One night it's nearly empty, then the next it's nearly full, then the next it's nearly empty again. Must be an explanation - maybe it depends on which German athletes are involved in any given day?

2 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

The crowds at the Munich Olympic stadium for these Euros are really weird. One night it's nearly empty, then the next it's nearly full, then the next it's nearly empty again. Must be an explanation - maybe it depends on which German athletes are involved in any given day?

Yesterday were the 100m finals which are usually the biggest draw and their female sprinter is one of the biggest athletics stars over there. 

Birchfield Harrier Matthew Hudson-Smith walked his way to 400m gold tonight. 

Loved his introduction where they're all expeted to do a **** stupid pose for the cameras but he just strolled straight to his blocks.  Cool dude. 

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Loved the womens speed climbing!

Aleksandra Miroslaw 😍

About 30 years ago,  as part of my job I attended the World Indoor Climbing Championships at the NIA. 

I have to say I wasn't looking forward to it at all (e even as a person who had done a little rock climbing and abseiling) and thought it would be very dull.   But actually I found it fascinating and was genuinely in awe of their skills.   The women are way way better than the men. 

Â