Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

Bond

it will depend on the Arsenal side as well. Obviously if were playing Stoke with Crouch in the side.. id prefer Baker to play as he attacks everything in the air. Where as if were playing a team with speed upfront.. Okore would be much better suited.. in some games possibly Vlaar being left out.

Well i hope Lambert is a bit tactical in that way.

There seems to be some confusion over the suggested teams.

Are we picking teams we want to see or teams we think Lambert will play?

Gabby will start, Tonev wont. If you don't agree with that choice, take it up with Lambert ;-)

• Like 1

The rest of the team basically picks itself.

This is why i'm still more than a little concerned. We have improved the squad but not the first team enough so it might be a damage limitation exercise with two poor defences but Arsenal much better going forward.

wasnt really 1st team needed to be improved it was the squad. we were i think 7th in form table from January 1st and when gelled we had a decent team. we were more than a match for Chelsea at back end of season

With all due respect a team battling relegation right up until the second last game of the season and you don't believe our first team needed improvement?

There seems to be some confusion over the suggested teams.

Are we picking teams we want to see or teams we think Lambert will play?

Gabby will start, Tonev wont. If you don't agree with that choice, take it up with Lambert ;-)

When it comes to Lambert in this regard I wouldn't bet on the above. The good thing about him is he doesn't play favourites. If you're not putting in your shift you'll get offside with Lambert in a hurry. In light of my criticism of Gabby in attack against Malaga, I will say this, he did get back and defended well to his credit and that will sit well with Lambert.

Whilst I don't think he will, I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see Tonev starting - Lambert has shown a willingness to gamble on an attacking line up - I would be hugely surprised to see him start ahead of Gabby though, I really don't think Gabby's place is under threat at all.

• Like 1

How can you say pick Tonev over Gabby based on a single friendly though Kiwi?

Tonev has basically played 3 pre season matches while Gabby has played in all of them.

Has Gabby played in all of the pre-season games? I thought he was injured in the first game like Tonev.

I will be hoping to high heaven that Tekkers doesn't pick up a knock against the French. Im nervous thinking about it...

Edited by roonst83

point woudl be marvellous, 3 would be an insanely good start and really throw down a marker. if i was a betting man i'd say the smart money was on a home win though. we defied the odds at the back end of last season though a few times. i can't wait to see how we do though, it's going to be really interesting seeing what team PL puts out and how well they do at the emirates. if we manage to put in a good performance and not get a point then we shouldn't be too upset about it,

I don't know whether its just pre-season optimism but i really fancy us, I'd like Baker to start in the back line,

I'd go for something like this i think:

Guzan,

Lowton,

Vlaar,

Baker,

Luna,

Westwood

Delph,

El-Ahmedi

Gabby,

Weimann

Benteke.

I'd have been tempted to start Sylla, but i think given he played for the U-21's he's not likely to feature a great deal saturday.  Rather than play Tonev, i'd have 3 more conservative centre mids, and bring on Tonev should we need a goal.

-----------------Given------------------

--Hutton---Herd---Clark--Stevens-

-----------Ireland--Bannan-----------

--Albrighton----------------Bennett--

----------Bent---Delfouneso----------

The useless team! Bowery makes a strong case to start over Albrighton.

I would expect all to give it 100% except for Ireland and Bent.

I think the rest, while some may not want to play for Villa anymore, are still professionals who would try their best.

In any case, that team would get us relegated.

When you watched the England v Scotland game it tells you something.

England had by far the superior technically gifted players, Scotland inferior in that department......applied themselves and subsequently give us a game.

If Villa go to the emirates respecting Arsenal...we will lose.

We have to apply our youth and effervescence have no respect for Arsenals reputation and dump them on their arse.....110% work rate and application and we will win.

If all the players apply themselves like CB ....we will win.

ps   This game is all about APPLICATION.

Edited by TRO