Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

Bond

Weimann should start as we will need a good physical Presence against Mertesacher. We should also pack the Midfield due to Ramsay, Arteta and Wilshire's passing ability

keeper.png
Guzan

home.png
Lowton
home.png
Vlaar
home.png
Okore
home.png
Luna

home.png
Westwood
home.png
Sylla
home.png
Delph

home.png
Weimann

home.png
Agbonlahor
home.png
Benteke

Subs:

Steer

Baker

Clark

Bacuna

El Ahmadi

Helenius

Tonev

Edited by limpid

I thought Tonev had an up and down game against Malaga, some good things, some not so good. However, for me, Benteke, Weimann and Agbonlahor are the strength of our team and the first three names on the team sheet. I'd only change those three due to injury, suspension or the need for rest.

I'd go with the same line up as Bond, but with Gabby on the left and Weimann on the right of a front three.

I don't think we can afford to play with Helenius or Tonev over Sylla as we'll need to counter Arsenal's packed midfield with something more defensive.

I don't think Tonev is anywhere near starting yet, although I'd like to see him come on as a sub in games where we either need to push on or are comfortable.

I'd go with the same line up as Bond, but with Gabby on the left and Weimann on the right of a front three.

That's about as bad as I've ever seen Gabby play. He got caught with the ball time and time again. Terrible decision making(which has never been his strength). Someone commented in another thread that in the warm-up he looked completely disinterested. So again I ask why does he get in the starting XI. Is it because he is Gabby and he might turn up? Tonev is green yet got two assists. 

Agree with the lineup in the original post although I fear El Ahmadi will start over Sylla given the amount of game time the two have had in pre-season.

As for Gabby v. Tonev, Kiwivillan has had nothing but negative things to say about Gabby for years. Dropping him for the season opener would be horrendous management.

Luckily it won't happen.

Gabby was fine yesterday. A few things he tried didn't come off but he worked fairly hard and had a couple of very good runs with the ball.

Didn't see him in warm up but no one looks interested at that time, that's why it's called warming up.

I think Bennett and Clark will be starting this, I just have a feeling Lambert will throw them in to see whether or not they have learned anything from last season.

We can take a draw from this I reckon.

I think Bennett and Clark will be starting this, I just have a feeling Lambert will throw them in to see whether or not they have learned anything from last season.

We can take a draw from this I reckon.

Even though Luna started pretty much every pre-season game and Bennett has played 15 mins due to injury? Think you could be wrong.

Agree with the lineup in the original post although I fear El Ahmadi will start over Sylla given the amount of game time the two have had in pre-season.

As for Gabby v. Tonev, Kiwivillan has had nothing but negative things to say about Gabby for years. Dropping him for the season opener would be horrendous management.

Luckily it won't happen.

That's not fair. Yes I've been critical but have said I've been wrong as well and given praise. Probably more the former because he often frustrates. But you can't get away with the performance yesterday. It was abject.

Guzan

Lowton Okore Vlaar Luna

Westood Sylla Delph

Wiemann Benteke Gabby

subs:Steer,Baker,Clark,KEA,Bacuna,Tonev,Helenius

Arsenal win 3 - 1

This team and formation.

We win 3-1.

! Arsenal.handle(Benteke)

Guzan

Lowton Okore Vlaar Luna

Westood Sylla Delph

Wiemann Benteke Gabby

subs:Steer,Baker,Clark,KEA,Bacuna,Tonev,Helenius

Arsenal win 3 - 1

Pretty sure this will be the starting eleven  for this opening game. Hopefully we can get the first goal & something from the game. A win would be sensational & would do no end for confidence going into the Chelsea game.

Please do it Villa.