Hull Tigers

HalfTimePost

I think it's disgraceful.

I hate these foreign guys coming in for a bit of fun and messing with a club's history. Over the past year, I've grown to respect Randy again. Bar McLeish, his intentions have been good.

• Like 2

They do sound like a rugby league team now but to be fair it doesn't make a lot of difference. 

Maybe the change of name is to entice rugby league fans to the game ?!

Does not sound like too much of a bad idear to me.

When Rugby League did (pretty much en masse) this back in the 90s, I was amazed at how passively the fans took it.

Bradford Northern --> Bradford Bulls (the club emblem used to be a ram, which made it even more of a bizarre choice)

Leeds --> Leeds Rhinos (how shit is that?)

Wakefield Trinity --> Wakefield Trinity Wildcats (clumsy compromise, keeping the perfectly-OK-in-itself "Trinity" as well as "Wildcats")

Widnes --> Widnes Vikings (Vikings? In Lancashire?)

...and so on.

My uncle used to play for Bradford Northern.

• Like 1

I hate these foreign guys coming in for a bit of fun and messing with a club's history. Over the past year, I've grown to respect Randy again. Bar McLeish, his intentions have been good.

not just foreign guys though. Look at Newcastle

What's worse...

1. Changing the team name (Hull)

or

2. Changing the team colours (Cardiff) ?

I was thinking the same. I'd probably say changing colours is worse. In these specific cases changing colours was definitely worse, wasn't the reason that red is considered a lucky colour in Malaysia/far East in general. That's a shocking reason to change it. 

When would anyone ever notice the club's full name being changed. I suppose when the classified football results are read out but that's it. 

Adding the club's nickname to it's official name doesn't change the club's identity at all for me. I'm disappointed he hasn't done something more outrageous to be honest like make them play in real tiger fur. 

When Rugby League did (pretty much en masse) this back in the 90s, I was amazed at how passively the fans took it.

Bradford Northern --> Bradford Bulls (the club emblem used to be a ram, which made it even more of a bizarre choice)

Leeds --> Leeds Rhinos (how shit is that?)

Wakefield Trinity --> Wakefield Trinity Wildcats (clumsy compromise, keeping the perfectly-OK-in-itself "Trinity" as well as "Wildcats")

Widnes --> Widnes Vikings (Vikings? In Lancashire?)

...and so on.

I dunno.

I've been to Warrington and asked a load of Rugby League lads (my mate played for a local team there) if they "often went to see the Wolves"

I thought they were going to slap me.

And after having been to a game the fans very much still refer to the team as "The Wire".

Well I'm not entirely surprised by that, but nonetheless, when it all happened I don't recall any real objection.

YEah and to be fair, I don't remember it happening so can't really comment :D

But yeah if you go to Warrington (and I don't know why you would), call them the Wire!

Definitely colours. If Randy changed our name tomorrow to Aston Villans (essentially what Hull have done). I'd be pissed but me and everyone would still call the club Villa.

If he changed our home colours like at Cardiff, say to Black and Orange, there would be a massive backlash.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Name for me. In the past ten years we have had a purple home shirt with virtually no blue on it and we have played in stripes. Claret is dark red and we should have sky blue sleeves but that gets dicked about so much who cares if we switch to scarlet?

Pretty much this! 

Edited by Xela

Name for me. In the past ten years we have had a purple home shirt with virtually no blue on it and we have played in stripes. Claret is dark red and we should have sky blue sleeves but that gets dicked about so much who cares if we switch to scarlet?

I hated all those strips. But I knew that they were only temporary (one of the few good things about the mania for changing strip so often). 

What we are talking about here (hypothetically) is a permanent switch from C&B to, say, all red. That, for me, would make it NOT Aston Villa, just as much as a name change. 

TBH I wouldn't be ecstatic about a move away from VP, either (even though I rarely attend games these days!) 

• Like 2

yeah kit for me too, it would be a move to something generic like blue or red to appease some sponsors who are based the other side of the world. I know we already share the colours with west ham and burnley but I still think it carries a better identity than say all red or all blue

they can call us aston villa of Birmingham (the worst option IMO) aston lions, villa lions, aston villans whatever they like, they've always been "the villa" and always will be to me and no doubt many others

out of interest what would people think if they tried to drop "prepared"?

they can call us aston villa of Birmingham (the worst option IMO) 

That wouldn't be bad.

It'd be just like Inter Milan, Sporting Lisbon or Chelsea London (as they're known overseas.)

Â