Season Previews in the Press

CrackpotForeigner

http://talksport.com/football/premier-league-preview-aston-villa-are-kids-really-alright-13081455553

Pretty generic, but does see us 10th (sorry for long link on phone)

Worth a quote (and I'll let you off the charge of Slackarse due to the phone thing :)):

The Big Issue: Are the kids really alright?

Five wins and two draws from their last 10 games propelled the Lambert Babes of Aston Villa to safety last season. A campaign plagued by defensive nightmares and catastrophic mistakes had been turned on its head as a squad full of talented but inexperienced footballers found their feet, under the greatest of pressure, in the nick of time.

So goes the theory, anyway – and this is the season when that gets put to the test. In the aftermath of the great escape, manager Paul Lambert has remained true to his policy of investing in youth – of seven new faces to arrive this summer, the Bulgarian midfielder Aleksandar Tonev is the oldest at an almost geriatric 23. Danish international Jores Okore (21) looks set to partner captain Ron Vlaar at the back, while Antonio Luna (22) should usurp Joe Bennett at left back.

The adored former skipper Stiliyan Petrov has retired, but competition for midfield places will be ramped up by the arrival of Leandro Bacuna (21) from Groningen, and the return from long-term injury of the hugely talented Gary Gardner.

Still, who are we kidding? The biggest news to come out of Villa Park over the summer was the new contract signed by Christian Benteke – the biggest and best kid of the lot.

Keep an eye on…

Ron Vlaar - Brought in for £3.2m last summer, Vlaar was the rock upon whom Paul Lambert wished to build his defence – but calf trouble ruled him out between November and January, and the Villa rearguard fell apart without him. Restored to the team and given the captain’s armband, the Dutch international ranks alongside popular goalkeeper Brad Guzan and Christian Benteke as the players his manager cannot do without. Even if he is, at 28, far too old.

The Stat

1 - At the time of writing, the number of players in the Villa squad over the age of 30. And that’s 37-year-old Shay Given, whose fat salary they can’t wait to get rid of.

If they were an animal, they would be a…

Dolphin - Exuberant and fast learner that responds well to an appreciative crowd. Communication sometimes puzzling, however, and regularly all at sea.

Prediction: 10th

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/premier-league-preview-aston-villa-are-kids-really-alright-13081455553#VQ3FFdDHzlDWVBEp.99

Edited by CrackpotForeigner

Wooo, go the Aston Villa Dolphins. According to our mini-NFL-database, that oughta keep RunRickyRun, Gringo, Baselayers & SilkyAVFC happy :P

[Lowton] was one of only two players to register triple figures for both tackles (105) and interceptions (111) in the league last season.

Nice!

[Lowton] was one of only two players to register triple figures for both tackles (105) and interceptions (111) in the league last season.

Nice!

Morgan Schneiderlin was the other I believe,a player who I really rate. However WhoScored having him at 27 in their top 100 PL players was a tad generous. (Lowton was 104, Benteke our top entrant at 50)

We have such a tough start to the season it's likely put us on the back foot right away. How well we cope and how mentally resilient we are to defeats might dictate the rest of the season.

Being in the bottom 3 brings it's own pressure. We showed many times last season that we have the strength, mentality & mind set to deal with it.

So, in the worst case scenario that we do have a poor start I'm sure we can draw out of the positives of last years experience for dealing with being down at the depths of the table.

Hopefully though we will come out of the blocks flying & surprise a few.

We have such a tough start to the season it's likely put us on the back foot right away. How well we cope and how mentally resilient we are to defeats might dictate the rest of the season.

I think they can cope. We lost to those sorts of teams at the end of last season and still maintained our momentum. Admittedly we never played them in a row, but I'd say playing them in the midst of a tight relegation battle is a lot more pressurising than at the beginning of the season.

im sure somebody is already preparing a relegation thread for tomorrow evening as we speak :P

The cheapskate's choice, the I, has predicted Villa to come 9th. Quotes ' Villa's survival was welcome after Lambert put his faith in young talent rather than lavishly paid veterans and all concerned will be stronger for the experience'.  Usual stuff about good news Benteke has stayed. Also mentions Vlaar needs to have a good year and that Villa have shopped abroad rather than down the leagues in the summer.

Phil McNulty on Bbc has us finishing ninth, I haven't done a link as its not specifically about us but covers all teams

That's really no stretch, in spite of all the VTers predicting 12th.

We could also easily finish above Everton and West Ham (I'll be disappointed if we don't), or below Southampton, Swansea and Newcastle. So 7th to 12th is the range I'm predicting.

Trawling the Internet and came across a fairly new site, who happened to have another review... Done slightly differently than others as it has picked a team to start vs arsenal rather than a full season review.. Again apologies on phone so can't small link

http://articles.squarefootball.net/squarefootball/2013/08/aston-villa-how-will-the-villains-line-up-for-trip-to-arsenal.html

Edited by mikeyp102

Anywhere between 14th and 9th position would do me

Would you be outraged if we finished 8th? 

That's probably close enough to ninth he'd be okay, but if Villa finished top four then that might be an outrage.  ;)

Anywhere between 14th and 9th position would do me

Would you be outraged if we finished 8th? 

That's probably close enough to ninth he'd be okay, but if Villa finished top four then that might be an outrage.  ;)

We'll have to wait and see

Â