Bloomberg boffins predict the '13/14 PL table

BOF

The problem the 3 promoted sides have this season is that there isn't a Wigan Athletic or similar perennial struggler hanging around at the bottom of the PL ripe for the picking. Of course some existing sides might have a disaster, but all the sides who survived last season were either down there through circumstances outside of their control (massive injuries for Newcastle), were adapting to a new manager and can expect a better season next season (Villa, Norwich and to some extent Southampton) or are looking optimistically at major change for the season ahead (Sunderland). Some of us have tipped sides like Fulham, Stoke or Swansea (really?) to struggle but that's still 3 sides who sauntered to Premier League safety last season, so it would be more likely although not guaranteed; that they don't do as badly as the promoted sides.

Having said all of that, each promoted side can make a reasonable claim for staying up and all 3 have; I believe; good managers. Bruce knows how to stay up. Holloway is well capable and missed out with Blackpool by the skin of his teeth and Malky Mackay might be the pick of the bunch. For me Cardiff look the better prospect of the 3 sides.

This.

You could extend the struggle point to two years ago. All 3 promoted teams stayed up but partially because wolves and Blackburn were either constantly close go going down or imploding as a club.

I guess I could see Southhampton struggling cause Pochettino really isn't a great coach, (espanyol were bottom when he left) and also maybe Fulham or Newcastle, but overall the last couple years have gotten rid of the prem teams that were constantly struggling to stay up

Think of imploding clubs and think north east...they're a ticking time bomb.

Think of imploding clubs and think north east...they're a ticking time bomb.

Absolutely and I'm looking forward to it happening, however; particularly with Newcastle; it's more out of hope than expectation. It's more likely that a healthier (on the pitch anyway) Newcastle will climb the table. Sunderland have bought fairly well too. So with them I'm hoping PdC falls out with everyone.

I guess I could see Southhampton struggling cause Pochettino really isn't a great coach, (espanyol were bottom when he left) and also maybe Fulham or Newcastle, but overall the last couple years have gotten rid of the prem teams that were constantly struggling to stay up

Yeah I had them as my tip to go down based on how last season ended, but they've bought quite well in the transfer market so I might have to revisit it. But even with that, as I said originally, I think the 3 promoted sides are coming up to face the healthiest set of 17 clubs the Premier League has had for a while in the sense that none are clearly staring the drop in the face.

I know early days but it seems players are buying into Di Canio style which is good for him, think he was given a ridiculous rough ride by media about his "beliefs" and hope he can entertain us with sunderland

Oh he'll entertain us alright. One way or the other. Sure they're already 'playing down' or dismissing reports of fallouts on the training ground (smoke/fire?). I don't doubt his football will be more progressive either. Given that he replaced O'Neill, it could hardly fail to be.

Firstly, he left Swindon in a huff so he's combustible and likely to act on impulse. Secondly, there were stories from his time there of him treating those players in a way that he won't get away with at a Premier League side. Like ex-Villan James Collins getting a root in the hole while walking off the pitch. See what happens when you do that to Sessegnon :) PdC is just a mentalist liable to do anything. The football his teams play will be the least of their fans' worries.

Di canios style of management is just to blame everyone else but him and then throw chairs at players.

Id be amazed if there aren't "di canios lost the dressing room" segments by crumble.

Edited by Jimzk5

Â