Bloomberg boffins predict the '13/14 PL table

BOF

I think Cardiff will be the one this year. Probably with Norwich going the other direction.

If I were to pick a team to stay up out of the three promoted it would be hull based on fist faces record of keeping teams up.

Cardiff would be my surprise package of finishing well obove the bottom 3.

if palace stay up with squad id be amazed, he had a bloody good go with that Blackpool squad though.

newcastle 8th? stopped reading there

Newcastles starting XI is very strong IMO. If they all stay fit i think they will push for a europa spot again.

I think Cardiff will be the one this year. Probably with Norwich going the other direction.

Norwich will be fine. I think they have made some good signings this summer

The predicted that the top four will be Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United and Arsenal? :blink:

The predictor didn't include any Liverpool mental predictions in there?

• Like 1

with kinnear there no chance they will finish 8th in my view

I wonder if they have made allowances for the inevitable departure of Pardew?

Edited by Nigel

I just don't see it. A lot of those clubs would be over achieving.

Well some of them have to finish there. We can't have 14 clubs finish in the bottom half :P

Indeed, if it's the case that there's not much distance between, say, 7th and 17th, then any club that doesn't get into the relegation scrap is overachieving.

I'm sticking by my tip of Swansea to struggle big time this season, I think they could go down

They're form after they won the cup was absolutely atrocious...that said I don't think they will be in the relegation mix, mid table should be where they end up around, especially now they have a legitimate striker in Bony.

I'm sticking by my tip of Swansea to struggle big time this season, I think they could go down

They're form after they won the cup was absolutely atrocious...that said I don't think they will be in the relegation mix, mid table should be where they end up around, especially now they have a legitimate striker in Bony.
You don't think that form was due to a lack of motivation? Their season was over in March.

Still, it will be interesting to see how playing in Europa affects them. Newcastle didn't seem to be able to cope.

Edited by LondonLax

no chance Swansea will struggle. they have one of best attacks and defences outside Top 4. Only struggle they will have is playing too many games.

of 3 promoted I think Hull only team with a chance of staying up, Cardiff remind of Reading coming up last season. good for championship but step up is too big

The problem the 3 promoted sides have this season is that there isn't a Wigan Athletic or similar perennial struggler hanging around at the bottom of the PL ripe for the picking. Of course some existing sides might have a disaster, but all the sides who survived last season were either down there through circumstances outside of their control (massive injuries for Newcastle), were adapting to a new manager and can expect a better season next season (Villa, Norwich and to some extent Southampton) or are looking optimistically at major change for the season ahead (Sunderland). Some of us have tipped sides like Fulham, Stoke or Swansea (really?) to struggle but that's still 3 sides who sauntered to Premier League safety last season, so it would be more likely although not guaranteed; that they don't do as badly as the promoted sides.

Having said all of that, each promoted side can make a reasonable claim for staying up and all 3 have; I believe; good managers. Bruce knows how to stay up. Holloway is well capable and missed out with Blackpool by the skin of his teeth and Malky Mackay might be the pick of the bunch. For me Cardiff look the better prospect of the 3 sides.

Yup, Swansea will be just fine. It's funny that people mention form as the biggest thing when the new season starts. We had an atrocious seasons last season, but carried good form the last 10 games or so. So automatically people on here carry that into the new season, like we are going to play our next ten games like we did our last. Just the same with Swansea, who had a good season but a poor finish to it. They were 5 points ahead of us and always ahead of us, they are a better team. Going down next year because of their poor finish? Makes no sense. Form is temporary, their season was already over and they took an early vacation. Still favorites to beat us easily next season, sadly.

I think the opposite!  They are my tip to be pushing in and around the 6th ,  7th and 8th places.

A tip to struggle,  and this isn't wishful thinking just a hunch,  is baggies actually

The problem the 3 promoted sides have this season is that there isn't a Wigan Athletic or similar perennial struggler hanging around at the bottom of the PL ripe for the picking. Of course some existing sides might have a disaster, but all the sides who survived last season were either down there through circumstances outside of their control (massive injuries for Newcastle), were adapting to a new manager and can expect a better season next season (Villa, Norwich and to some extent Southampton) or are looking optimistically at major change for the season ahead (Sunderland). Some of us have tipped sides like Fulham, Stoke or Swansea (really?) to struggle but that's still 3 sides who sauntered to Premier League safety last season, so it would be more likely although not guaranteed; that they don't do as badly as the promoted sides.

Having said all of that, each promoted side can make a reasonable claim for staying up and all 3 have; I believe; good managers. Bruce knows how to stay up. Holloway is well capable and missed out with Blackpool by the skin of his teeth and Malky Mackay might be the pick of the bunch. For me Cardiff look the better prospect of the 3 sides.

This.

You could extend the struggle point to two years ago. All 3 promoted teams stayed up but partially because wolves and Blackburn were either constantly close go going down or imploding as a club.

I guess I could see Southhampton struggling cause Pochettino really isn't a great coach, (espanyol were bottom when he left) and also maybe Fulham or Newcastle, but overall the last couple years have gotten rid of the prem teams that were constantly struggling to stay up

Â