Hiroshi Kiyotake

KjParton

It's not the transfer fee per se.

But,  if you sign a youngish hungryish player on 2-4M what do you think his expectations of a salary are likely to be?

If you sign a player on 10M plus what do you think his expectations of a salary are likely to be?  

It's all just speculation.

If its a case of lambert thinking the price was too high then no you can't question wether he's being backed.

If its a case that lambert is happy to pay the asking price but has been told he can't sign him until we've moved some players on then yes I believe you could question his backing.

In regards to Cardiff they've bought cornelius and caulker for around £20 million. We signed helenius and okore for under half of that. I'm happy with what we've been doing.

You will get very few managers who refuse to buy a player on the basis that they think he's too expensive.

What?!

In regards to Cardiff they've bought cornelius and caulker for around £20 million. We signed helenius and okore for under half of that. I'm happy with what we've been doing.

Now I know you know I'm joking when I say this John but,  please somebody bookmark this post as John being happy!

Haha

Very happy!!

• Like 1

But,  if you sign a youngish hungryish player on 2-4M what do you think his expectations of a salary are likely to be?

If you sign a player on 10M plus what do you think his expectations of a salary are likely to be?

That's why I think it's unlikely. I know people don't like combining fee and wages but this signing would be over £20m. I'd speculate this is the sort of signing we might be looking at next summer, all being well.

I'm sure that if Lambert wanted him, it would happen (from a financial standpoint).

I don't understand why some of you are still having a pop about Lerner not 'backing the manager'. We are still pissing away wages, nearly £250k pw just on Bent, Ireland, Given and Hutton!

We (as Richard already mentioned) have also given out a lot of new deals to the current squad this summer, and if I'm honest then I much prefer this set-up of rewarding players who have performed well for you to that of 4/5 years ago of bringing in players on inflated contracts - at least this way is sustainable!

We are playing things sensibly, and I am not going to criticise Randy for finally getting his s*** together. Sure he might have 'slammed on the brakes' somewhat financially, but we've survived it with out top-flight status intact, and hopefully he's learnt a lot from it.

On topic, Kiyo is a good player who would really fit in with the way we play, especially on the counter.

It's all just speculation.

If its a case of lambert thinking the price was too high then no you can't question wether he's being backed.

If its a case that lambert is happy to pay the asking price but has been told he can't sign him until we've moved some players on then yes I believe you could question his backing.

You will get very few managers who refuse to buy a player on the basis that they think he's too expensive.

What?!

What i mean is this.

Manager has identified a player he wants. He then presents that target to the board. The board or CE approach the club the player plays for and his agent. We are quoted a price. The board then informs the manager of the price and that he can have that player.

Do you think the manager would turn that player down on the basis of thinking that the price is too much even though his chairman has said ok to the deal?

• Like 1

I couldn't care less about marquee signings anymore.

Our best signing in years was a relatively unknown Belgian from Genk.

I'm actually seeing teams like Cardiff splashing the cash and thinking "that's gonna end in tears"

Exactly my thoughts. For years we complained that we paid over the odds for known players and wished we unearthed some of the unknown stars that other clubs managed to find. Now we are doing that some fans are complaining that we are not splashing the cash. I'm loving the irony!

BTW not sure what Cardiff are doing, my point is more general.

As for KT he would probably be a good signing I think but it's hardly earth shattering news from Nursey that we might want to sell before we buy.

He has probably just been monitoring JulieB's Twitter to get the latest accurate and most up to date news on the player.

But, if you sign a youngish hungryish player on 2-4M what do you think his expectations of a salary are likely to be?

Exactly Richard. This was my big concern about replacing Benteke. There were people already knocking RL over how much of the Benteke 'money' he would be given to replace him, but if we spent say £15m on a striker then he'd surely want £50k+ pw? Unfortunately big fees and big wages go hand in hand!

As for KT he would probably be a good signing I think but it's hardly earth shattering news from Nursey that we might want to sell before we buy.

He has probably just been monitoring JulieB's Twitter to get the latest accurate and most up to date news on the player.

Monitoring this site as well. I'm sure his 'news' came out after the fans' forum details were posted on here.

Well, Benteke cost us £7m how much was he on?

20,000 I think

Now tripled to 60,000

Were suddenly playing him what Bent is on? Are you sure?

I thought the whole point was to have a control over wages?

Now when we signed Bent he was seen as similar importance as Benteke is now, so nobody quibbled at his wages now they are a pain in the arse and making it difficult to get rid.

If for whatever reason in a few years time Benteke is in that position Villa will be as well, struggling to get rid.

We've learned nothing if he's on those wages.

20,000 I thinkNow tripled to 60,000
Were suddenly playing him what Bent is on? Are you sure?I thought the whole point was to have a control over wages?Now when we signed Bent he was seen as similar importance as Benteke is now, so nobody quibbled at his wages now they are a pain in the arse and making it difficult to get rid.If for whatever reason in a few years time Benteke is in that position Villa will be as well, struggling to get rid.We've learned nothing if he's on those wages.

I'm pretty sure 60,000 has been reported. Not 100% though maybe someone else can clarify

I think it's different to bent though, benteke is only 21 remember

We have to be willing to give some players who are a real asset the big wages

We will get officially nowhere if we are not willing to give a star player at least 60,000

• Like 1

20,000 I think

Now tripled to 60,000

Were suddenly playing him what Bent is on? Are you sure?

I thought the whole point was to have a control over wages?

Now when we signed Bent he was seen as similar importance as Benteke is now, so nobody quibbled at his wages now they are a pain in the arse and making it difficult to get rid.

If for whatever reason in a few years time Benteke is in that position Villa will be as well, struggling to get rid.

We've learned nothing if he's on those wages.

I completely disagree and actually it shows we have learnt a valuable lesson

Benteke will be off soon,  we all know that.  He is a quality player in demand that cost relatively little and was on little wages.  had we sold him this summer for 20M we would have had to replace him and fund the wages too.  And replace with a player of commensurate ability or go backwards.

Instead we have trebled his wages to 60k from 20K and have secured him for one more year,  after he showed how important he was to us last year.  We will more than get 20M for him next summer and then be in a stronger position to reinvest that on a better player.

And for the privilege it has cost us 2.34M pounds in increased wages.  Makes sense to me

What i mean is this.

Manager has identified a player he wants. He then presents that target to the board. The board or CE approach the club the player plays for and his agent. We are quoted a price. The board then informs the manager of the price and that he can have that player.

Do you think the manager would turn that player down on the basis of thinking that the price is too much even though his chairman has said ok to the deal?

Yes.

Edited by Stevo985

I think we only really need to shift Bent in order to see some movement. That wage is a huge stumbling block imo.

According to Joe Kinnear at Newcastle, they had met with Bent's representative's last week and agreed things from that point of view, and they were currently in negotiations with Villa about a transfer fee. I think Bent will go, but later in the window as one of the parties (maybe us, maybe Newc or Fulham) compromise and do the deal. It will probably be in the last week of the window, maybe even deadline day. We will have some deals lined up in case it happens late, assuming we want to re-invest in the squad at that point. So what I am saying is that I think we won't see a Kiyotake or AM signing until very late in the window, similar to the Benteke deal last summer.