Hiroshi Kiyotake

KjParton

It will be interesting to see what our overall expenditure has been by the end of the transfer window in comparison with other teams around us. Only then is it fair to judge what financial backing the manager has received.

Sounds interesting, but the bomb squad has to be cleared first I reckon before we get another signing. Re our buying policy under Lambert, there is just no way Lerner will ever allow the big signings again. We as a club, including the fans, just could not throw up enough money to balance paying 8 million for Curtis Davies and Nigel Reo-Coker, or 6 million for Luke Young. The sooner football clubs act like normal businesses, the better for me.

Agree that we can't fill the whole squad with 900K players. Who is the best of Lambert's signings? - The most expensive one.

Surely that's a toss up between Benteke (the most expensive at around 6.5M) and Lowton (one of the cheapest at under 1M) and Guzan (a freebie)?

Lowton and Guzan were both excellent, even brilliant signings, but for someone who raises our team to a higher level and strikes fear into the oppo, has to be Benteke.

Feidhlim, the original point didn't mention £10m

EDIT: Not the one I saw about us being a credible Prem Team, anyway.

Edited by Rob182

its a building process but its important to buy a few Benteke style players. 6-10 million is not alot of money. If swansea can afford Bony and Southampton Wanyama. Im sure we can sign Kiyo for 10-12 as well.

That depends on wether the finance has been made available to Lambert?

I'd be much more comfortable "throwing money around" with Lambert in charge than I would be with MON back in charge. If you get what I mean.

Basically, the key is spending the cash intelligently. Which MON didn't do particularly well.

Personally I@m comfortable with us getting there slowly. Strengthening like we are now little by little and building ourselves up to those big signings.

I'd rather that than just for Lambert to suddenly be given £100m to spend. Hat's how mistakes are made.

Because throwing around loads of money really worked well for us before...

Works for all clubs in the long run - we only threw money at it for a very short period time.

I fear though with current levels of investment - should Lambo get us to above 10th next year he will feel he has taken us as far he can  and/or will be approached by a club with more clout in the transfer market.

Much as admire Lamberts prudence, Aston Villa are still a massive, massive club - we shouldn't be bounced out of the transfer market by likes of swansea, cardiff, southampton.

Why does it matter what those clubs are spending? QPR spent tons last season and were easily the worst team in the league.

The mistake people make is thinking price always equals quality, when in fact that's far from the case.

• Like 1

Sounds interesting, but the bomb squad has to be cleared first I reckon before we get another signing. Re our buying policy under Lambert, there is just no way Lerner will ever allow the big signings again. We as a club, including the fans, just could not throw up enough money to balance paying 8 million for Curtis Davies and Nigel Reo-Coker, or 6 million for Luke Young. The sooner football clubs act like normal businesses, the better for me.

What I believe is that the club are perfectly prepared to pay 10 million or whatever for a young promising player on low wages. The difference to how it was under MON is that we will no longer spend 10 million or more on an established player and lure him to the club with high wages.

If PL identifies a young player costing 20 million who he feels will be worth 80 million two years later, I believe his track record is good enough for him to get RL's backing. It makes perfect financial sense. If you are confident of being able to sell for a profit, it doesn't really matter what the initial cost is.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner

Trouble is, we as fans hate the idea of ever selling good players, even at a profit. We only want to sell the bad ones. 

Haha, yeah, but really we'd only be selling players who force a move. Unlikely we'd sell someone who was happy to play for us, even if they were worth a lot of money - if they were worth a lot of money they'd be doing good things for the team, which is value in itself.

The mistake people make is thinking price always equals quality, when in fact that's far from the case.

No one is making that mistake. We all know too well from first hand experience that price doesn't equal quality.

Top quality does cost big money though. More than we have been spending anyway. There is a reason we finished 15th and are only hoping for around 10th this season and it's becasue we all know we haven't spent the money it takes to compete for a top 7 place.

• Like 3

Still, this would be something to go for, as these types of players is the hardest thing to find on the cheap in my opinion. Guess the same could be said for a cb but Okore is a big talent, if he is coached properly he will become exceptional. I just fear his first season might be filled with some negatives as in mistakes, but I hope it will turn out good :)

Dunno, it is kinda weird to see basically every team outperform us on the transfer market, but I believe and stand by what Lambert does. I just want us to have enough options, since that was that led to some of our downfall last season. 

I think it's much less transfer fee than wages. I'm fairly sure we'd pay 8m+ for a good young player as long as they are not asking for crazy wages. for all the transfer failings over past few years, board can also look at successes like Young, Milner, Downing and look around the league and see that sometimes 10m gets you a player worth 25m in a year or two. I don't think they'd have a problem making a big initial investment on a player if they think it's a good long-term investment.

but certainly transfers like Luke Young are not going to happen anymore, ultimately what hurt us most was having way too many players on top flight first team wages, e.g. at the end of 2010 season we had L.Young, Warnock, Shorey, Beye, Dunne, Collins, Cuellar, Bouma & Davies all on the books! that's 9 established defenders all on probably 40k+ a week. utter insanity. those lot probably averaged around 5m mark transfer fee - expensive but not crazy money in football terms - but having all the 4 year contracts on 2-3m a year simultaneously was the killer

Dunno, it is kinda weird to see basically every team outspend us on the transfer market, but I believe and stand by what Lambert does. I just want us to have enough options, since that was that led to some of our downfall last season. 

Fixed a bit for you.

I think when Lambert is happy with the overall look of the squad, the budget will be used more for 2-3 players rather than 6-7 as long as the wages are kept in line.

Dunno, it is kinda weird to see basically every team outspend us on the transfer market, but I believe and stand by what Lambert does. I just want us to have enough options, since that was that led to some of our downfall last season. 

Fixed a bit for you.

yeah that was what I meant :P

I feel sorry for Lambert slightly.  I reckon he came in thinking he would be able to get rid of the chaff quicker than has happened (thats if it even does happen).  It will definitely have slowed his plans down a good deal.

Also while filling the squad with young players has worked out well, l i still think to push on you have to add 1 or 2 quality youngish players at a stage.  People using the argument 'it worked out well in the past for us' have to realise Lambert and MON/McLeish have totally different ideas on what type of player to buy to build a team.  We can’t judge Paul Lamberts buying ability of a quality player for around 12-15 million on that of his predecessors.

Just to put this straight, I think we need 1 or 2 quality signings of the 10-12 million mark to push on to the next level and bring the cheaper guys along with them.  Im not talking about anymore players than that.