Match thread

Phumfeinz

VILLA: Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar [c], Okore, Luna, El Ahmadi, Agbonlahor, Delph, Benteke, Tonev, Weimann. Subs: Steer, Baker, Clark, Bennett, Bacuna, Helenius, Albrighton, Westwood, Sylla, Bowery, Gardner.

Yeah El Ahmadi has been impressive in pre-season. Good to have competition.

Yeah, might give Westwood a little reminder that his place is for granted.

He doesn't need a reminder, he's always acted professionally and given 100%.

• Like 2

Lambert certainly like this system with an attacking midfielder. Strengthens the case that we will sign a player for this position but it will be interesting to see how Tonev does today as he looked like his touch was nowhere near good enough to play in the center last week.

Lambert certainly like this system with an attacking midfielder. Strengthens the case that we will sign a player for this position but it will be interesting to see how Tonev does today as he looked like his touch was nowhere near good enough to play in the center last week.

I think Gabby will play behind Benteke, with Tonev out on the left. I hope so anyway as Tonev looked really awkward through the middle.

As I said yesterday, this is what can be seen as our 'attacking' formation.

I'm happy with that starting back four, that's for sure. And Tonev gets a start! He did look a bit rusty last time out, expected given he was coming back from injury. Hopefully he's a bit sharper today.

Edit: And Bennett is back and on the bench. Thought maybe he had disappeared!

Edited by heid3ster

Â