• Ian Taylor
    • David Platt
    • Peter Withe
    • Brian Little
    • Olly Melberg
    • Dean Saunders
    • Alex Cropley
    • A.N.Other

What about Sammy Morgan?..... the way he clattered into Bob Wilson in the FA cup mach at the Arse before we did them well and truly in the replay.

He was at the game today..... now as a centre forward he was class!!.... only just beating Andy Lochead mind you for his goal against Manure in the League Cup Semi in 1971.

It was last 30 years Den - but now more and more people have put other excellent candidates I think the max of 10 on a polll wouldn't be sufficient for this

p.s. great shout about Sammy Morgan though

surely a cult hero by defintion is one who is not that good but does something different that endears him to the crowd.

Alan Wright was a regular in our side for about as long as Ian Taylor, playing to a similar standard week in week out at the top end of the Premiership and was 5'4", bald as my nan and a top bloke.

And he got injured because he wanted to drive a sports car.

surely a cult hero by defintion is one who is not that good but does something different that endears him to the crowd.

I'm sure this was discussed on here about 9 months ago.

I don't think a cult hero has to be one that is not that good. To me they are ones who build up a special relationship with the fans. From the dictionary:

Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.

Alan Wright seems to have been mentioned because he produced average performances for a long time. Apart from the occassional Alan Wright - Wright - Wright chant i domn't remember there being a particular affection towards him.

As i only started going in the early 90's i can't comment on all of the players but the two that stand out for me are McGrath and Taylor. They are the ones where you could notice the buzz in the crowd, those players were special to villa fans.

Go outside Villa Park and Ian Taylor would hardly get a mention but he was special to us.

McGrath did win the player of the year but i even then i don't think other team's fans realised how special a player he was. He was our God, the player with something different, despite having messed up knees, a serious drink problem, not being able to train, having mental problems as a youngster, being hounded out of united. He was a true flawed genius.

To me, the way the fans revered McGrath makes him a true cult hero.

But thats only my opinion.

Sid, just, from Brian.

Dunno if they're still available, but some people wrote a kind of homage to their cult heroes on here maybe 18 months or 2 years ago. - the greatest Villan I think it was called.

I did one on Sid, and others did fine ones on the Lord McGrath, Saint Brian, and Sir Dennis, etc.

Paul McGrath isn’t a cult hero; he’s a hero. He was a top class footballer, who was universally recognised as being great. Same pretty much goes for Platt and Cowans; I will go for Ian Taylor.

I agree.

So for the same reasons as you I also go for Ian Taylor.

Â