Graham Burke

mikeyp102

Will be good for him.

In a way its a shame these young'uns going to other clubs on loan as it will weaken our U21 side significantly, however I suppose it is for the greater good (aka the 1st team)

Will be good for him.

In a way its a shame these young'uns going to other clubs on loan as it will weaken our U21 side significantly, however I suppose it is for the greater good (aka the 1st team)

In any football club..... It's all about the first team, the rest is just academic. That is the holy grail.

Looks like it's Shrewsbury Town.

Burke will join from the Premier League club until January when the paperwork is completed tomorrow and could make his debut in the League One clash against Leyton Orient on Saturday.

The Republic of Ireland under-19 international is contracted to the claret and blues until 2015.

But Eaves, who was on the bench for Bolton against Shrewsbury on Tuesday night, could have rejected a second spell at the Greenhous Meadow.

Turner refused to be drawn on the identity of his other target but revealed it was a Championship striker who the supporters already knew, which strongly points towards the former Town loanee.

The manager said: “We had agreed a four-month loan for another striker but, much to my surprise, he’s turned us down this morning.

“He didn’t think it was in his best interests to come out on loan and he’s a player that most of the supporters would know well enough, but I can’t name him.

“However, he’s a player from the Championship.”

Turner has also been tracking 19-year-old Burke throughout the summer, but had been held up in sealing the deal due to the player being involved with Villa during pre-season.

But Villa boss Paul Lambert has now green-lighted the move and allowed the teenager to continue his first-team education with Shrews.

Turner said: “He’s one that we have chased through the summer, the hold-up has been that he has been with Villa’s first-team squad. As Villa have been playing with just one main striker, he’s been playing wide.”

Burke scored two penalties as Villa beat Chelsea 2-0 in the final of the NextGen Series last season.

Confirmed on the OS:

Forward Burke to make loan move to Shrewsbury Town

Irish youngster set for League One outfit until January.

Graham Burke is set for his first taste competitive league football as the final touches are put on his loan move to Shrewsbury Town.

Burke will join the League One outfit on a youth loan until January, subject to paperwork being finalised in the next 24 hours.

The nature of a youth team means he can play for the Shrews but also train and play for Villa's Development Squad too.

The 19-year-old striker made his first senior appearances for Villa last term, coming on as a substitute in the Capital One Cup games against Tranmere Rovers and Bradford.

He played a pivotal role in Villa's NextGen Series triumph, with his two penalties in the final against Chelsea sealing a memorable European success for Tony McAndrew's team.

The academy graduate also finished the NextGen Series as joint top scorer.

Earlier in the summer, Burke and fellow Republic of Ireland youth internationals Michael Drennan and Samir Carruthers signed new two-year contracts.

The Dublin-born attacker has featured regularly for the first team during pre-season after joining Paul Lambert's squad midway through their Germany training camp.

Now he is looking to further his football education at the New Meadow under the tutelage of former Villa boss Graham Turner.  

Good luck to him!

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

I was surprised myself when I heard about it yesterday, I mean if he doesn't do well there, will it hinder his opportunity's with the first team ? Maybe... 

Also Burkey's very lightweight, league one is quite the tough league. I'd like to see how he does Saturday if he does get a game mind.

He was the lad who played right midfield aganst Walsall, came in just after kick off so was trying to work out who he was.

Was hardworking on the right but looked limited. Who knows, I'd have said the same about Weimann 18 months ago.

I think many of our young lads do look a touch on the lightweight side, but as long as they bulk up as they mature they should be fine. Need to go on the Gabby Big Mac diet.

Apart from Donacien that is!

I was surprised myself when I heard about it yesterday, I mean if he doesn't do well there, will it hinder his opportunity's with the first team ? Maybe... 

Also Burkey's very lightweight, league one is quite the tough league. I'd like to see how he does Saturday if he does get a game mind.

Gabby had an awful spell on loan at Watford. I remember reading something written by one of their fans saying he was the worst player he'd ever seen.

I don't think struggling out on loan means the end of your chances.

Gabby had an awful spell on loan at Watford. I remember reading something written by one of their fans saying he was the worst player he'd ever seen.

He also did awful at Sheffield Wednesday!! their fans didn't rate him there either... So failed on loan twice but still made it here!!

He also did awful at Sheffield Wednesday!! their fans didn't rate him there either... So failed on loan twice but still made it here!!

Jheezus, anyone else wanna pop while we're here ! ;)

Yeah, point taken, I did say maybe... but i suppose i was just thinking of Lambert's no nonsense thinking. E.g: look at delfouneso ? He hasn't got a run in under Lambert after a number of poor loan spells.

Gabby is a different story, he could run like the wind but had no brain at all. Both clubs mentioned played him wide because he could then run in straight lines. The opinions on his loan spells came from fans, do you trust them? I don't.

Basically Gabby needed to learn to play but had an attribute which, on its own was enough to play at the top level. Fair play to the guy though, he has grabbed pretty much every opportunity that has come his way and most importantly learnt how to be a Premier League footballer.

It will do him no harm at all.

Lambert wants them to experience the lower leagues in the hope that it will make them work even harder to make it here.

Any game time will be valuable and being lightweight will not hinder him. I'd say he's simaliar in build to Will Grigg at Walsall who had a very decent season last year.

Gabby really has come a long way. I remember his first season.. all he had was pace. He learnt hold up play under MON.. his finishing has improved.. he works hard and his crossing has really impressed me of late.

Jheezus, anyone else wanna pop while we're here ! ;)

Yeah, point taken, I did say maybe... but i suppose i was just thinking of Lambert's no nonsense thinking. E.g: look at delfouneso ? He hasn't got a run in under Lambert after a number of poor loan spells.

"We're here"... You with Jack atm? ;)

Â