Pre-Season reactions thread

Shillzz

For those people, like myself, who haven't been fortunate enough to catch AVTV's coverage of our pre-season fixtures, I thought it might be nice if we had a topic where people could share their thoughts with regards to how players have been performing during pre-season.

Who has been looking good?

Which of our signings look most promising?

How have the youngsters like Grealish been getting on?

(Mods - I thought this would be the best place for it, but please feel free to re-assign if necessary)

We've had quite a few injuries so it's been hard to judge, also Benteke has only played one game.

The performances up to Crewe were pretty downbeat, with some really poor defensive errors, and lots of posting about how "it's all about fitness, not results", and "I'm sure Lambert will be sorting out the defence soon".

Then Benteke came back into the side, scored a hat trick and we absolutely tore Crewe to shreds. It all looked a lot better.

That really is how our season is going to be. With Benteke we will have hope. Should he get injured we will struggle. The defence is still a worry.

Weimann, El Ahmadi, and Westwood have looked good so far. Clark has looked a bit lost. Benteke in his one game was on fire and the entire team perked up and started to play smart, passing football around him. 

EDIT. Sorry, forgot, Sylla has looked good too.

Edited by briny_ear

The season we won the league 1981 I understand we didn't win one preseason game, so I think it is fair to say per season is very much about fitness and not about results.

I also think a developing team is more about performances (individual & team) than results in order to get a handle on progress.

Don't misconstrue what I'm trying to say....I'm not trying to dismiss or play down the importance of results...but ultimately good results drive from good performances.

Our players need to develop and get better and I believe they will. It will be really exciting to see it happen.

The season we won the league 1981 I understand we didn't win one preseason game, so I think it is fair to say per season is very much about fitness and not about results.

I also think a developing team is more about performances (individual & team) than results in order to get a handle on progress.

Don't misconstrue what I'm trying to say....I'm not trying to dismiss or play down the importance of results...but ultimately good results drive from good performances.

Our players need to develop and get better and I believe they will. It will be really exciting to see it happen.

Now me and my dad have an on going argument about pre season and the effects that those pre season games have on the actual season.

Dad thinks because we're playing lower league sides and in some cases non league sides, that its not preparing is very well for the big fixtures we have coming up.

I used the argument we won the league in 81 when losing all of our pre season games and he challenged me saying did we play lower league/non league sides? I couldn't answer that. 

Now me and my dad have an on going argument about pre season and the effects that those pre season games have on the actual season.

Dad thinks because we're playing lower league sides and in some cases non league sides, that its not preparing is very well for the big fixtures we have coming up.

I used the argument we won the league in 81 when losing all of our pre season games and he challenged me saying did we play lower league/non league sides? I couldn't answer that.

Don't know either.... But we are back to opinions.

I am with you on this one.

Another analogy to use is the great Hungarian side featuring Ferenc Puskas.....They had a big game coming up with a great England team of the day.

They travelled through Europe on the way to us playing lowly teams in comparison to their own ability.

They ultimately beat us 3-6 at Wembley when we met.

Draw you own conclusions.

I've only seen highlights but in terms of the importance of preseason results I don't think winning or losing is a big deal.

The players won't be going in with the same mind set as a league game. We seem to have one of the busier preseason schedules and in the long run it will bode well.

Its good to hear opinions of players that are impressing and I like the fact that some have mentioned Andi being on form, hopefully he keeps improving as he will be a top player soon if he does.

To be honest I wasn't implying any kind of importance with regards to the fixtures. I just thought it would be interesting to see how the individual players are shaping up.

Some blokes near me were discussing the not winning a pre-season game before the 81 season near me at the game at Newport yesterday, and one of them it was 'bullshit'. Now it was before I was even born, but this guy was very well travelled with the Villa, and I have to say he sounded very convincing.