Premier League Top Scorer 2013/14

P.O.B

Personally I think Lukaku is the best bet if he can come that close being a bit part player at WBA, imagine what he can do being a bit part player at Chelsea with Mata, Oscar, Hazard laying on chances for him.

Lukaku was not a bit part player at West Brom.   He played in 35 of their 38 Premier League games and he had as many minutes on the pitch for them as Wayne Rooney did for Manchester United last season. 

Lukaku was not a bit part player at West Brom.   He played in 35 of their 38 Premier League games and he had as many minutes on the pitch for them as Wayne Rooney did for Manchester United last season. 

Only 20 starts though, 15 games off the bench. Rooney isn't really a fair comparison, when you think Rooney only had 12 goals, granted he'd 10 assists, but was also playing for United. Lukaku was playing for WBA and had 17 goals & 7 assists, in the same amount of time. When you look at the strikers that finished ahead of him, Van Persie had 1,118 more mins than him, Suarez 948, Bale 916 & Benteke 813. That roughly translates to about 10 games more yet he was only a few goals behind playing in a worse team than all bar Benteke.

Only 20 starts though, 15 games off the bench. Rooney isn't really a fair comparison, when you think Rooney only had 12 goals, granted he'd 10 assists, but was also playing for United. Lukaku was playing for WBA and had 17 goals & 7 assists, in the same amount of time. When you look at the strikers that finished ahead of him, Van Persie had 1,118 more mins than him, Suarez 948, Bale 916 & Benteke 813. That roughly translates to about 10 games more yet he was only a few goals behind playing in a worse team than all bar Benteke.

Why isn't Rooney a fair comparison?   They played almost entirely the same number of minutes in the league last season.  Lukaku was on the pitch for 2004, Rooney for 2017.   Fifteen games off the bench say to me that Lukaku was being used as an impact player, and very successfully given how many goals he scored. 

Why isn't Rooney a fair comparison?   They played almost entirely the same number of minutes in the league last season.  Lukaku was on the pitch for 2004, Rooney for 2017.   Fifteen games off the bench say to me that Lukaku was being used as an impact player, and very successfully given how many goals he scored. 

Firstly, the squad depth at United and number of games they have with Champions League mean they can afford to rest a player more than a WBA. Where as Lukaku was merely rotated with Long & Odemwingie (before Christmas) and saw a lot more starts after Christmas over the Odemwingie to QPR situation. Then there's the fact that one is a player with 140+ Premier League goals before last season arguably at his prime (in terms of age), playing for the team who won the league & the other was a young lad who had played 165mins for Chelsea before being loaned out to WBA. Then there's the fact that De Gea, Evra, Rio, Rafael, Carrick, Valencia & RVP all had more minutes than Rooney so it wasn't like he was the main man like season just gone.

Lukaku will be a very good player, but have a feeling he will be a bit part this season especially if Rooney signs for Chelsea. However, in the next few yrs he will be one of the best in the world

rooney wont sign for Chelsea, its classic mourinho

if he stays fit then RVP for me, utd wont be anywhere near as bad as people make out, aguero 2nd

bale, suarez and benteke ( :( ) wont hit 20 this season...

Arsenal Down to the Bare Bones

So tomorrow the season kicks off with Arsenal playing Aston Villa. But who is actually left to pull on an Arsenal shirt? After selling or releasing 22 players from both our first team squad and reserves squad and loaning out an additional 6, it leaves Arsenal with a 24 man squad.

Of these 24 men, according to physioroom.com, 11 are currently out injured and unavailable for 1st team action against Aston Villa. Even with my simple GCSE in maths, I can work out that this leaves us with 13 men available from out 1st team. Of this 13, two are Ju-Young Park and Nicklas Bendtner. It also contains 2 goalkeeper.s That leaves us with just 9 outfield players available from our first team squad.

So before the season has even started, we are down to the bare bones.

Now I would not be surprised if Theo Walcott, Bacary Sagna and Aaron Ramsay shake off their knocks and are fit to start tomorrow. However, worse case scenario and they do not, what are we actually left with?

With Sagna out, Carl Jenkinson will start at right back. Inside him will be Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertersacker. At left back Kieran Gibbs. A solid enough defence which, unless Benteke get’s one on one with Mertersacker, should be good enough to nullify Aston Villa. These 4 are our only fit defenders though. And anyone who has watched our under-21s in pre-season will know there is no one yet ready to step up. God forbid one of these pick up an injury. We will soon be recalling Johan Djourou back from his loan spell to play at right back!

Moving forward, it gets worrying. Of the 8 midfielders listed on our website, 5 are injured (Arteta, Ramsay, Rosicky, Diaby, Frimpong), and 1 (Cazorla) is unfit and has just been to Ecuador and bag for a pointless friendly with Spain. In an ideal world, he would not play.The world is not ideal. That leaves us with Jack Wilshere, and unfit Santi Cazorla and Ryo Miyaichi, who is actually a wing forward and has clearly been added to the ‘midfield’ tab just to make it look like more than what we have. So basically, if Ramsay does not get fit, we have 2 central mdifielders. What is likely is Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will drop inside and play the role he has recently played for England against Scotland. But this will mean Cazorla and Wilshere playing deep. We will be bullied.

With Podolski and Giroud fit upfront, they will start. But that is where we now come up short. In all the players I have mentioned, we are now 1 short. So what are out options?

• Pray that either Ramsay or Walcott get fit
  • Play Bendtner right wing
  • Play Gedion Zelalem, Thomas Eisfield or Kristoffer Olsson
  • Announce the signing of 3/4 players in the pre-match press conference today
  • Play Steve Bould

To be this short before a ball has been kicked is a result of our lack of transfer activity. Yes, we were correct in selling/releasing these players, as most were either ‘deadwood’ senior players, or youngsters who were never going to make it, but a lack of signings is costing us dear. Had we secured Etienne Capoue, Stevan Jovetic or Gonzalo Higuain, rather than spend 2 weeks chasing and unsettling Luis Suarez to no avail, we would not be in this situation.

If you have a pair of boots in your cupboard, bring them to the game. There is a very good chance you might get a spot on The Arsenal bench. Infact, I am surprised our board are not selling places on our bench to the highest bidder. What a money raiser that would be for them!

Dropped points against Aston Villa is a direct result of our poor transfer window.

I'm betting cautiously this season having dropped £100 on Citeh to win the cup final (pissed in B6 after the Chelsea game).

I've put £3 on Van Persie at 3/1 to cover my stake, £2 on Suarez at 18/1 and £5 on Benteke also at 18/1. Couldn't resist those long odds.

Â