Premier League Top Scorer 2013/14

P.O.B

Others may have posted this, but I have just put £10 quid on Benteke to be top premier league goalscorer of the 13/14 season. I got this at 20/1 with betfair exchange. I think this is amazing value.

Reason being:

Say he moves to another English club this summer or in January (which i find unlikely), it will only be to a club higher up the league, arguable creating more goalscoring chances, should he get the playing time. - i personally think he will stay at AVFC for the year and move during the World Cup year... Can't see him moving abroad.

He is growing in confidence and it shows no sign of slowing down. Obviously i shouldn't base this on a pre-season hatrick against crewe, but when he put the ball in the net it looks as though it was second nature to him, hence the unexcitable celebrations. I think PL has the managerial skills to channel this confidence and keep his feet on the ground, as shown by the contract talks. Futhermore, his ability is only going to get better, along with his strength and experience.  I also think he will stay fit for the majority of the season, hes a machine. If the team can provide him with enough chances i see no reason why he can't out do other players. I think the rest of our team will come on leaps and bounds this season, i rate PL very highly, maybe too highly, but i haven't been this excited about a manager before, I'm 24, no one has came in an impressed me as an all round manager like this, O'neill had too many faults, i was too young to remember/analyse others.

Lastly, he's our main man. we don't have the problem (i wouldn't call it that much of a problem!) of man city / chelsea who have great players but too many of them for one to rise up and score a high enough amount to challenge the goalden boot.

So who are the other players that could challenge him?

Robin Van Persie - undoubtedly the front runner, a great player who will have alot of chances in a great team. But given his fairlytale 1st season with Man Utd, who would bet against him getting an injury, the like we saw at arsenal, which could rule him out for part of the season and disrupt his form? hes getting on. If that happens, I can't see anyone else stepping from that man utd team. There is also the moyes factor to consider.

Man City - I say man city, because they have too many stars. too many stars that will disrupt each other ( even unintentionally) and therefore i cant see any of them rising from the pack and holding their fitness/place down in the team for long enough to challenge. The obvious candidate is Aguero, and he was great during his first season, but went missing last season... I just cant see it. Jovetic? will have to wait and see.

Rooney - Wherever he ends up... Not for me. If SAF failed to keep his head on the ground, I doubt anyone else will, even mourinho. What a wasted talent and a shame for england. I hope he proves me wrong with the World Cup coming up though.

Bale - Lets wait to see if he goes? Perhaps the reason why benteke's odds are so high? If he does go abroad, I imagine benteke's odds drop significantly, which is why i have put my money where my mouth is now. If he stays, he is benteke's challenger for me (assuming RVP won't repeat his form of last season). f he stays, i will be backing Bale as a safety bet.

Luis Suarez - again, uncertain what he will do, like bale, but if he moves it looks like he'll be staying within england? If he moves aborad, less competition for benteke! I don't doubt his ability, just his character /attitude. If he doesn't get his own way and stays at Liverpool, he could have a season like Rooney after his first unsuccessful transfer request - OK but not great. If he moves to another English club and is happy then there is no limit to what he can achieve. I just get the feeling that liverpool will want to save face after the Andy Carroll fiasco. They think they are are bigger than they are, and by letting suarez go it will prove they are not as big as they think. 

Chelsea - hard to say what effect mourihno will have on the current players (Torres/Ba/Lukaku/schurrle etc)... we all know hes a great man manager, so maybe an outside bet on one of them? And we don't know who he will bring in, if anyone.... looking to be Rooney. Can he manage Rooney? I think they have a similar situation to man city, too many great players, not one will score ore goals than the other.

Arsenal - The havent had a reliant striker since Henry, and i doubt this will change.... unless they get suarez? Will this change, possibly.

Tottenham - depends on whether they keep bale, if he leaves they will bring in some quality, some people are saying benteke. I would hate that to happen, but if it does, what will bentekes odds be then.

Other teams - No stand outs for me, and some people are buying wisely (Bony - swansea, 

In conclusion (sorry for rambling on), Do you agree with me, or do you think I'm being mad? i am obviously wearing my claret and blue tinted glasses, and I am somewhat suprised by the odds, which got me thinking this. Which players do you think will challenge. This has an underlying villa theme, but for the sake of the mods, i have started this in 'other football', as it will undoubtedly tail off into debate about other teams/players. Who do you think will be the 13/14 premier league Top scorer?

Apologies if there is already a topic for this, please move if necessary.

UTV

Spurs are getting Soldado.

You think him then? I value your opinion, but disagree. Making the move to the premier league at 28, when all he has ever known has been la liga? Obviously a talented player looking at his record, and I'm not gonna lie, i don't follow foreign leagues, so haven't seen him apart from Champs league, but many a talented players have failed to make the switch successfully, especially when they are older. For example, Edin Dzeko - built for the premier league, playing in Germany which is arguable a similar style to the PL and was younger at the time. Shevchenko?

but Dzeko has made teh switch. he has nearly 30 goals in last 2 seasons  in which he didnt start most weeks and was probably 4th choice at times City behind Aguero, Texvez and sometimes Balotelli

but Dzeko has made teh switch. he has nearly 30 goals in last 2 seasons  in which he didnt start most weeks and was probably 4th choice at times City behind Aguero, Texvez and sometimes Balotelli

Fair point, but this year he will still have aguero, Jovetic, negredo to contend with. I only used dzeko as an example, and maybe i was harsh on him saying he has struggled. But in terms of becoming the premier league top scorer (which this topic is about), I don't think he will come close, nor any other city players. They have too much competition between themselves, without competing with players from other teams. For me the front runners are RVP, Suarez, Bale and Benteke.... two of which have an uncertain futures.

I was thinking of putting an e/w bet on Benteke, as i am struggling to find reasons why he won't improve this season, apart from a freak injury (touch wood this doesn't happen). I'm not a big gambler though, and I think it will make it more exciting to see him go for the top spot, I've talked myself into thinking its very possible!

I think Benteke could win it if the top scorer is around 22 or 23.

But someone could hit 30, RVP, Aguero or even an on form Rooney at Chelsea if he went. Benteke won't match that.

Aguero.

His problem will always be that their goals come from everywhere. Negredo, Navas, Silva could all be 10+ goals and the likes of Fernandinho, Milner & Yaya will chip in too.

That is true but I expect Citeh to be a little more settled and Aguero will be the main striker unless Negredo hits the ground running.

I think RVP will pick up a few injuries because for one reason or another Moyes has always been iffy with strikers, Suarez will miss a chunk of the season and wants to leave or has arrived at a new club, Chelsea need a striker but whoever they get will be in with a shout because Mourinho likes to have a focal point, Arsenal need a striker, Soldado is good but it remains to be seen how well he will adapt.

Benteke could be up there depending on his supply but I'm not convinced we have enough quality to create chances.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

We have more quality this season than last (not to mention the residents are more settled) and he wasn't far away. The counter-argument might be that with it being his 2nd season it'll be harder to reproduce the same level, although I don't buy that given the nature of his goals last season (and that a lot of them came towards the end when he should've been 'figured out' by then). I don't think Benteke would be particularly good value though. It's hard to look past RVP. Moyes will play one up front and despite his tactics that squad should score a shedload. RVP doesn't have Aguero's problem. I only see Kagawa as a regular goalscorer other than him. This whole discussion is a little premature though. Not only are we less than half way through the window, but the latter half is far and away the most active part of the window so it will all change between now and September. for example, whoever Spurs end up getting is likely to feature prominently. As is whoever Liverpool replace Suarez with if he goes.

I've backed Benteke myself, but went each way (pays out 4 places)..

Think RVP will be top scorer. Suarez's ban will probably rule him out. If Chelsea get Rooney then he will be right up there. City will score a lot but not one individual scorer, probably have 3 strikers on or around 16. Think Bale will be gone. Can't see Lukaku getting many games and no one else will have the consistency.

1st- RVP - 24

2nd - Rooney (if at Chelsea) - 22

3rd - Benteke - 19

4th - Suarez - 18

5th- Walcott - 16

- Aguero

- Negredo

- Dzeko

If Lukaku is first choice he could do it and if RVP stays fit he's probably the bookie's favourite but if we get off to a good start Benteke could have 30 by Christmas. :)

Edited by ArteSuave

Rooney - Wherever he ends up... Not for me. If SAF failed to keep his head on the ground, I doubt anyone else will

Head on the ground? Be a good excuse to kick his Shrek-like face in :)

Â