The complete and utter chants thread

Pricey_1984

We definately need this issue taken up by the mods, i imagine some of them know people within the club.

I reckon any tune regardless of whether i like it or not will make villa park and away games amazin. I do like the colonia one.

Any news on if there is any progress or not?

We definately need this issue taken up by the Mods, i imagine some of them know people within the club.

I reckon any tune regardless of whether i like it or not will make villa park and away games amazin. I do like the colonia one.

This is also being discussed on the General thread and he was going to ask Phil Mepham to help out...but after an objection....as he quite rightly points out the club are caught between those who like the idea and those who don't like it... Like the Great new logo debate!!.....Don't get me wrong I'm not on some... we must adopt VIVA trip. I'd be happy with something else if it got everyone going! Just maddening that after all the debate last year the status quo remains.

As someone else said our away support is amazing EVERYONE sings so maybe it would be an idea to try VIVA or whatever we come up with out at away games first with the club's support, to see how it goes down. What is there to lose??!!!

EDIT ADDED: Just a suggestion but If anyone else wants the club to be involved with getting something sorted with VIVA or whatever.... maybe it would be an idea if they could PM the General or post on his thread.

Here is one i have just made. i think it is about time we started reciting the contents of our trophy room tot he bluenoses. It doesn't strictly rhyme and it is to the tune of yokey cokey:

We've won the Euro Cup. The Super Cup

The League Cup, the FA Cup, the Top Flight 7 times

You have won **** all and you're going down

That's what why we sing and shout

Woooooah Aston Villa

Woooooah Aston Villa

Woooooah Aston Villa

Your shit we're great ha ha ha!

We could do a version of Wonderwall to Gabby's name like what Man City did with Kinkladze a few years ago.

All the runs that Gabby makes are winding

and all the goals that Gabby scores are blinding

Cos after all he's AG-BON-LA-HOR

Obviously it needs work but I think it could be a winner if some of the more creative of you fill in the blanks

We definately need this issue taken up by the Mods, i imagine some of them know people within the club.

This is also being discussed on the General thread and he was going to ask Phil Mepham to help out...but after an objection....as he quite rightly points out the club are caught between those who like the idea and those who don't like it... Like the Great new logo debate!!.....Don't get me wrong I'm not on some... we must adopt VIVA trip. I'd be happy with something else if it got everyone going! Just maddening that after all the debate last year the status quo remains.

As someone else said our away support is amazing EVERYONE sings so maybe it would be an idea to try VIVA or whatever we come up with out at away games first with the club's support, to see how it goes down. What is there to lose??!!!

EDIT ADDED: Just a suggestion but If anyone else wants the club to be involved with getting something sorted with VIVA or whatever.... maybe it would be an idea if they could PM the General or post on his thread.

Without the club getting involved nothing will happen full stop. In the 70's the knuckledraggers had a competition and that is how the funeral march KRO was adopted as their miserable anthem.

The Scouse have movement at Anfield called 'Reclaim the Kop' where they are trying to inject European style support into English Football

Please God, no! European style support is repetetive, lacks the humor and spontanious banter we love about the English support culture. I see people keep mentioning the PAOK chant and JulieB keeps trying to promote the VIVA song. I guess this is going to sound a bit harsh, and I honestly do appreciate that you're trying hard to get something going, but I really hope the Holte End won't adopt these songs. For me, this is one step closer to someone banging a big drum and before you know it we're like the Pompey fans with their two "song" repertoir.

British fans are unique. They're funny, they're creative, they sing about tradition, have actual songs and they make a lot of noise. The key to bringing back the noise and atmosphere in British football is STANDING UP. Simple as that.

We're not arguing against the spontaneity and humourous banter, we're saying that we should also have a good decent chant. Holtenders in the sky and "villa villa villa villa" are so lame, they are embarrassing. Villa fans don't make a lot of noise....the one game we did was against SUFC and we stuffed them. That is why so many people on here are keen to get new (and actually decent) chants/songs, it actually makes a difference.

The Scouse have movement at Anfield called 'Reclaim the Kop' where they are trying to inject European style support into English Football

Please God, no! European style support is repetetive, lacks the humor and spontanious banter we love about the English support culture. I see people keep mentioning the PAOK chant and JulieB keeps trying to promote the VIVA song. I guess this is going to sound a bit harsh, and I honestly do appreciate that you're trying hard to get something going, but I really hope the Holte End won't adopt these songs. For me, this is one step closer to someone banging a big drum and before you know it we're like the Pompey fans with their two "song" repertoir.

British fans are unique. They're funny, they're creative, they sing about tradition, have actual songs and they make a lot of noise. The key to bringing back the noise and atmosphere in British football is STANDING UP. Simple as that.

We're not arguing against the spontaneity and humourous banter, we're saying that we should also have a good decent chant. Holtenders in the sky and "villa villa villa villa" are so lame, they are embarrassing. Villa fans don't make a lot of noise....the one game we did was against SUFC and we stuffed them. That is why so many people on here are keen to get new (and actually decent) chants/songs, it actually makes a difference.

Holtenders in the sky is great, but anyway. I'm not saying we shouldn't get new chants and songs, but I don't think "eurostyle" e.g. PAOK and VIVA is the way to go. For me they represent a kind of atmosphere that I wouldn't want at Villa Park, because they are repetetive and simply quite dull. This is only my oppinion obviously, but I think we would rue the day we've ended up like Notlob and Pompey fans.

Songs and chants should go in more traditional English tunes and rhymes. Can't beat that imo.

The debate about which song is chosen is like a never ending circle!.. No song is going to please everyone but for goodness sake why not try something else?!!! Someone called VIVA a bit Chas and Dave anyhow (can't get more english than that!!) Unless everybody would rather NOT try anything new and then nothing will happen it will be same lack of songs....same old S*** on the City for another season?

If you look at link on You Tube then sorry I can't see or hear anything else but everyone singing and clapping to a football song, maybe it does come from a naff German pop song which certainly isn't my cup of tea but that's not the point it made a song in Cologne that was sang at the last world cup and it sounded awesome when the crowd got it going!

I know you've worked hard for this and sorry for being negative but I think it's crap?

It sounds like a foriegn chas n dave track rather than a football anthem?

I don't think the FC Cologne Version with the clapping sounds crap sorry but I don't and if you look on You Tube at FC Cologne fans singing it sounds great but then that's my opinion... Dwight York sounded a bit naff TBH until it was adopted but was great when everyone at VP or wembley when we won the cup was singing it!!!

Agree. The german band makes it sound crap, but when the fans sing it it sounds really good

Yeah all who keep saying its crap have a look at this video on You Tube and then decide...

Its worse than crap, would never catch on at the Villa,

from an Holte Ender since !967, keep it simple Julie and you may suceed

That's all fine, Julie, I have no problems with what you're saying. I just don't like the song, for so many reasons. And YES, I have clicked the youtube-linky-thingy, but I honestly wasn't that impressed at all.

I'll repeat my initial point though; Standing up is the most important tool if you want better atmosphere and more singing. Coming up with new songs is fine and all that, and I do appreciate the effort, but it won't make much of a difference if people aren¨'t allowed to stand up and sing them.

This was posted a few weeks ago, it would work at Villa Park,

"General,as a commander of fighting men you know the value of a battle hymn, anyone who has heard the kop at Liverpool singing "you'll never walk alone" will testify to it's effect on big occasions."

We at Villa lack this kind of an anthem. If you have ever listened to the BBCs annual Last night of the proms you cannot have failed to be moved by the rousing rendition of the "English anthem" Land of hope and glory that always closes the evening, it is awesome. The poem is about pride and history in the land that we call home. With that in mind I've adapted a version that I believe could be sung loud and proud by Villa fans.

LAND OF HOPE AND GLORY, MOTHER OF THE FREE,

HOME TO ASTON VILLA, HOLTE AND TRINITY,

repeat

HOME TO ASTON VILLA, HOLTE AND TRINITY.

WIDER STILL AND WIDER SHALL OUR FAME BE SPREAD,

GOD WHO MADE US MIGHTY, MAKE US MIGHTIER YET,

repeat

GOD WHO MADE US MIGHTY, MAKE US MIGHTIER YET.

BURNING BRIGHT OUR FUTURE, PROUDEST HISTORY,

repeat

BURNING BRIGHT OUR FUTURE, PROUDEST HISTORY.

"You have to listen to a tape of the proms as I have been doing tonight to feel the full spinetingling impact of thousands of voices singing this to the tune of Elgars Pomp and Circumstance. I guarantee General if you were able to have this embellished and recorded by a male voice choir and then played it at the opening of the Holte End hotel you would bring the house down! (perhaps not the best choice of words given the hotels recent history). "

"Villa fans need a positive voice in the stadium General and what better than the proudest and most rousing anthem that the English possess."

My congrats for the lyrics and choice of music, would be very rousing.

"General,as a commander of fighting men you know the value of a battle hymn, anyone who has heard the kop at Liverpool singing "you'll never walk alone" will testify to it's effect on big occasions."

We at Villa lack this kind of an anthem. If you have ever listened to the BBCs annual Last night of the proms you cannot have failed to be moved by the rousing rendition of the "English anthem" Land of hope and glory that always closes the evening, it is awesome. The poem is about pride and history in the land that we call home. With that in mind I've adapted a version that I believe could be sung loud and proud by Villa fans.

repeat

repeat

repeat

"You have to listen to a tape of the proms as I have been doing tonight to feel the full spinetingling impact of thousands of voices singing this to the tune of Elgars Pomp and Circumstance. I guarantee General if you were able to have this embellished and recorded by a male voice choir and then played it at the opening of the Holte End hotel you would bring the house down! (perhaps not the best choice of words given the hotels recent history). "

"Villa fans need a positive voice in the stadium General and what better than the proudest and most rousing anthem that the English possess."

Well at least that's a suggestion - what annoys me is the people who critisise what others come up with and fail to come up with a reasonable alternative. Come on did any fancy the idea of singing a rendition of New York, New York for Dwight....Yet it soon caught on and sounded OK!!

what annoys me is the people who critisise what others come up with and fail to come up with a reasonable alternative.

Sorry, but let me get this straight. If I don't really fancy a song you or anyone has come up with, I have to come up with my own song before I get to have a say?

FWIW, I think a version "land of hope and glory" could make a decent anthem for us.

repeat

repeat

repeat

Well at least that's a suggestion - what annoys me is the people who critisise what others come up with and fail to come up with a reasonable alternative. Come on did any fancy the idea of singing a rendition of New York, New York for Dwight....Yet it soon caught on and sounded OK!!

After an orchestrated campaign by George Gavin (BRMB) who penned it and played it over and over on the radio.

Again as I said before, nothing will happen until the club gets involved and formerly organises something. The Dynamic that was the singing on the terraces has gone, ie groups of mates meeting in the same spot week after week. A new approach needs to be adopted. imo.

Land of hope and glory is good. When I first brought up the PAOK chant, I was looking for an anthem style thing. And I said on page 2 of this thread something about an anthem for Villa similar to Liverpool and Celtic's You'll Never Walk Alone that would make your hairs stand on end whenever you heard that song, that people associate with the club. I'm all for LOH&G.

Edit: Just listened to it on youtube from the Proms, and me singing it in my head made me shiver....imagine what 40,000 villans would do. Ouch.

what annoys me is the people who critisise what others come up with and fail to come up with a reasonable alternative.

Well it might help!!

FWIW, I think a version "land of hope and glory" could make a decent anthem for us.

I think it may work too...Like I said if that's what everyone wants then let the General know!!

But as we've said before nowt is gonna happen unless the club get involved and no doubt some will object to Land of Hope being adopted cos they don't like it.....

so round and round we go..

What I suggested that could be an answer is if the club actually commission a professional to write a new song or adapt an existing song. But again I don't think the club want to impose something on the fans. It's difficult like the General said they're caught in the middle.

Holtenders in the sky is great, but anyway. I'm not saying we shouldn't get new chants and songs, but I don't think "eurostyle" e.g. PAOK and VIVA is the way to go. For me they represent a kind of atmosphere that I wouldn't want at Villa Park, because they are repetetive and simply quite dull. This is only my oppinion obviously, but I think we would rue the day we've ended up like Notlob and Pompey fans.

Songs and chants should go in more traditional English tunes and rhymes. Can't beat that imo.

Nothing morerepetitive that 'shit on the city' and 'Holte enders n the sky' (the crap short version that is).

Went to Lyon in May they had over 20 long songs very impressive and sounded coll as well with the whole ground joining in. Much more exciting and inspiring than anything I've ever seen at Villa Park (except Athletic Madrid, Blues, and Sheffield United).

Atmosphere in this country is dull unless you're an away fan and its not going to change unless standing is allowed but I can't see that happening

Â