The complete and utter chants thread

Pricey_1984

Hi Ho Silver Lining is sung and by other clubs. Off the top of my head, I know Wolves, Sheff Wed, and Leeds sing it. Not that it isn't a Villa song, and not that I don't enjoy belting out Hi Ho Aston Villa every time I hear it, it just isn't unique to us. Also although the song was written by Americans, it's the Jeff Beck version that always gets played and he's a Spurs fan!

Going back to DLBIA, even though it's written by a Citeh fan, and doesn't have any links to Brum does it really matter? You'll Never Walk Alone was written by Rogers and Hammerstein, and they're not Scousers; Delilah was recorded by a Welshman, and not a Stokie; That shit sha sing was recorded by some obscure Scottish "comedian". As such I really don't think it matters all that much.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 3

For me it's an indentity thing, all the above clubs mentioned to some degree have been so enthusiastic and consistent that those songs have become apart of their identity. Villa seem to have lost some of their identity or so I feel anyway, coming from family that lived in and around Aston for years until the late 70's the whole vibe has changed. I think something that harks back to our roots or reflects where we're from is s good thing especially in the changing face of Brum. Oasis very much identify themselves with Citeh and Manchester, I don't think wanting us to sing something identifiable with Birmingham rather than Manchester is a bad thing at all.  I also think we're a week or two away from getting mugged off by Liam. 

8 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

For me it's an indentity thing, all the above clubs mentioned to some degree have been so enthusiastic and consistent that those songs have become apart of their identity. Villa seem to have lost some of their identity or so I feel anyway, coming from family that lived in and around Aston for years until the late 70's the whole vibe has changed. I think something that harks back to our roots or reflects where we're from is s good thing especially in the changing face of Brum. Oasis very much identify themselves with Citeh and Manchester, I don't think wanting us to sing something identifiable with Birmingham rather than Manchester is a bad thing at all.  I also think we're a week or two away from getting mugged off by Liam. 

Agree with this. It's got to be Black Sabbath or Ocean Colour Scene. 

Give me Sabbath over Oasis every day of the week (not sure about OCS mind!), but DLBIA is all about being the right song at the right time, and has nothing to do with the origin of the band or their footballing allegiance. You can not manufacture these things. You can't say to people this is our anthem, and everyone should sing it. It doesn't work like that. We've tried it before (The Bells Are Ringing being the last time), and it just gets rejected. Whether we're singing DLBIA on the Holte End in 5, 10, 20 or 30 years time, remains to be seen, but at this moment in time, with all that's happened, DLBIA is apt, and like it or not a lot of Villa fans have run with it. No point naming songs we should sing instead, it ain't gonna happen. 

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, dAVe80 said:

Give me Sabbath over Oasis every day of the week (not sure about OCS mind!), but DLBIA is all about being the right song at the right time, and has nothing to do with the origin of the band or their footballing allegiance. You can not manufacture these things. You can't say to people this is our anthem, and everyone should sing it. It doesn't work like that. We've tried it before (The Bells Are Ringing being the last time), and it just gets rejected. Whether we're singing DLBIA on the Holte End in 5, 10, 20 or 30 years time, remains to be seen, but at this moment in time, with all that's happened, DLBIA is apt, and like it or not a lot of Villa fans have run with it. No point naming songs we should sing instead, it ain't gonna happen. 

This is spot on. We can talk about other songs that may be perfect, even beter, but they will not be sung in reality.  I agree it never happens when you try to manufacture chants - I have tried!   So we can talk about alternatives, but we really have two options. Sing DLBIA for a bit of fun after a game or reject it and sing nothing - at least nothing new.  The idea that there is another option is flawed.  I am not having a did at anyone, far from it, I would love to sing Sabbath, Oasis or anything that creates a positive atmposhere.  I just think @dAVe80 hit the nail on the head.  We have to be a bit pragmatic and go with what emerged naturally on the terraces.  FWIW I think there is only one criteria - does it help create a better atmosphere which, in turn, helps the team and club drag itself out of the mire?  I think, right now, with DLBIA the answer is yes.  That trumps everything for me because, as a supporter, all I want to do is (a) have fun and (b) sing my head off for the team.  Always been that way for me.

• Like 1

Heard a slow version of TBAR in lower Holte today. Caught on a bit then died not to be repeated. 

I bloody hate the in the aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaair thing. It kills the end of the song and is just bloody stupid. 

Glad to hear Bruce has his song now. 

Edited by sidcow

Breaks up play and helps the back four,

Dont get in his face or he'll take you to the floor,

He is big and strong and has a beard,

When he is on the field he is to be feared,

Jedi.... Jedinak (dont come back)

I have the musical ability of a large boulder.... dont be too harsh

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Â