Match Thread

KjParton

Didn't realise this game was on Sunday! Quick one after the Crewe game. 

I expect us to definitely rest some bigger players for this one (Benteke, Gabby, Weimann) and give the young ones a good run out. Hopefully Grealish, Robinson, Donacien, Burke & Carruthers get 60 minutes, I'd also give Helenius a good pop if he's fully fit. 

However I would sort of like the defence to start looking like the defence we're going to use for the opening game. I feel its important to get that part of the squad familiar. It also gives us a good assessment as to how the defence may cope.

In terms of attacking I hope the kids will be able to showcase what they're capable of. 

I expect a win, hopefully 2-1, but could be a draw 1-1.

Newport in for disappointment then:

The statement read: "Further to concerns raised by Exiles fans directly to the Club about the kind of side that Aston Villa would be fielding in the friendly at Rodney Parade on Sunday, we have contacted Villa for clarification.

"Whilst you can never be certain in Pre-season due to changes of plans, schedules, fitness and the progress of players, what sort of side any team will field, Villa have confirmed that the squad they bring will contain a presence of Premiership experience."

Yes, and it's a dump. Would strongly discourage anyone from visiting Newport, ever.

No worse than much of the rest of the UK for the record but yes, little attraction. I agree.

The stadium belongs to the rugby club, Newport county moved in to groundshare last season having previously played at Newport stadium, a much smaller athletics oriented stadium.

Although mis-shapen due to slow ongoing rebuild its not the worst ground in the football league.

• Like 1

I'm at the game - try to update when possible. The team sheet on the programme has every, and I mean EVERY, villa senior and development player on it. Just to make sure, I guess.

Â