Bodymoor ...

Ulver

I've just been told that the great unwashed (eg: us) have now been banned from even going onto the carpark and waiting for the players to leave.

Now, before any smart arses think 'so what'. This has been a tradition even going back to when my old man took me in the early 80's to meet my heroes there, It's the one small place left where the young uns can actually get to see their heroes in the flesh and share a few brief seconds in their company, 99% of the time it takes the average player approx 5 minutes in total to sign a few books and have a few photos taken and i've only seen about 3 players over the years drive out without stopping.

It's not about adults, it's for the kids. And whenever i've been and took my nephew those waiting are 80% children clutching their autograph books and acting like i would if i walked into a bar and found Paul McGrath, Tom Waits and Keith Richards propping it up

FFS VIlla, this is a terrible decision and one that will just increase the gap between supporters and club. Kids remember shit like this.

Sort it out whoever has made this decision

I think that the youtube kid has also been trying to sell the shirt you see getting signed in the video on Ebay. Pretty sure various clubs are banning this kind of thing because supporters are turning up regularly, getting balls and stuff signed and then making a living out of selling them, I think there is even a sign at Man Utd training ground informing fans that players will not sign items.

I can see that logic, so a simple 'autograph books only' message would make it clear. That's all my nephew ever takes along

They can see the difference between a middle aged man with a pile of 10x8" photos and a kid with a book

Common sense should tell them who's on the make and who isn't. Ditto a grown man should not need telling not to spill the beans on his transfer status to a kid with a phone either. Not sure why everyone should suffer if they can't work out for themselves what's going on

Its probably temporary until they work out a policy mate, wouldn't get too wound up about it.

Its not as simple as sticking up a sign, it would have to be discussed in a meeting, some form of legal doc would have to be written up regarding a policy etc.

I could be wrong, but I don't see the club wanting to annoy fans for no reason. A kid being able to get the 'scoop' straight from players mouths (even Benteke saying yeah I'm staying a day before he signed his extension) could potentially do more harm than good.

Lets wait until we at least hear an official line from the club or of somebody being turned away before we kick off about it.

Clubs are increasingly protective and paranoid about various things, if this is accurate it does not surprise me at all in some respects.

Edited by AndyClarke

Yep, I imagine it's to do with the internets, the youtube videos spawning countless news items which can affect any transfer activity the club are working at. The power of the web is such that new controls have to be considered which may affect stuff that we've been doing for decades as par for the course, like this signing and meeting players stuff. It sucks but if it's affecting any business that is going on, you can bet they will consider these kind of measures. Especially given we have a number of transfers that need to happen to clear the books and possibly open the way for new blood, you can bet they don't want anything jeopardising any progress. 

Probably once things have calmed down and there's less room for problems, ie during the season / when 99% are settled and going nowhere, then they'll lift it. I doubt they'd want to shut the kids out on purpose especially as they work fairly hard to encourage the kids to be a part of the club.

I hope it isn't permanent but I wish they'd clarify the rules. I can understand the frustration of kids taking their cameras and getting inside scoops or whatever but if Villa have a problem with that they should just make a statement about it and request no recording only pictures and signing. I've still got a couple of kits signed by the whole team of certain seasons and it would suck if I can never get another one.

Essentially I understand their frustration but I was they'd of just clarified the rules so people would know it's off limits before just banning it altogether even if the ban is only for a the transfer window or something.

Had many happy times at bodymoor in the days of graham Taylor and big ron - seems a shame if fans are banned from there long term.

Those were great days to be a fan visiting Bodymoor Heath.

I remember going in 1989/90 and hanging around by the gym watching the players train, in those days you could walk all the way in.

Taylor came over at the end to talk to me and my dad, as the players were coming past to go into the changing rooms the players came over to sign autographs. I don't think they dared not do so with Taylor stood there.

He then he thought he needed some extra penalty practise and asked if I'd help out, so I spent about 20 mins with Platt taking penalties against Spink.

It really was fantastic around Bodymoor Heath in those days.

That's quality aha that'd never happen nowadays.

Just one of lots of similar tales from those days around the place, it was a great place to be in the summer.

You could get away with so much.

Agreed, both Taylor and Atkinson were very open regarding fans attending bodymoor and i never saw anyone turned away , I suppose there could be something in the mobile phone clips and ebay stuff though.

I saw a sign on tv at Chelsea's cobham training ground saying players would not sign autographs , a shame in many ways as it was a great way for fans to get to meet players.

I saw a sign on tv at Chelsea's cobham training ground saying players would not sign autographs , a shame in many ways as it was a great way for fans to get to meet players.

You probably have to be part of an organised tour of the Chelsea training ground, they are available from John Terry for £10k in cash.

Another example of football getting above itself. When tennis stars sign those big tennis balls after matches, don't you think those end up on ebay? If you don't, just go to ebay and search for "Andy Murray". There are loads of them.

If this is a hamfisted attempt to stop the videoing of footballers telling the truth about what is happening to them re transfers etc., that is beyond outrageous.  

Â