Janoi Donacien

Pembers

Agreed tro I think reading of the play is the most valuable asset in the modern game

Thing is Gaz not many seem to mention it when evaluating players and we can end up with limited player appraisals

I don't get around to see as many up and coming players as many do, but I can appraise a players value when I do.some of the players like the Moore Bros I was staggered with the reputation they got before I first saw them, but it's all opinions I guess.

I understand the importance of pace in the modern game, but McGrath, shaw and bobby Moore proved that "reading the game "effectively can compensate a lot.

Who says it is?

Regardless this lad has it in **** spades. Nobody has suggested that's all he needs, just that (as with Okore) it will help him recover from the occasional lapse on concentration. Asking every player to read the game as well as McGrath or Laursen is a bit over the top don't you think? The best natural defender the game has ever seen and a guy who became a legend here in a little over 18 months.

It's also a bit misty eyed to a point. McGrath had pace and on those days when he wasn't quite "with us" it got him out of trouble. Martin Laursen dropped a few clangers in his time, but we forgave him because of everything else. Including the ability to score goals. That was his secret weapon, or one of them. It just so happens this lads is, you guessed it, blistering pace.

And I mean blistering.

DDID, Blistering pace is not the prime attribute I would look for in a Centre half....nice to have, but more attuned to a winger

If he can read the game, dominate at set pieces and marshall the defence as just a few of the attributes necessary to make a top centre half, not to mention composure, leadership and a will to win then pace would be nice to have too.

If we are hell bent on progressing our team/club I make no apologies for citing the Like of Paul McGrath and Martin Laursen as role models to emulate.

For too long we have had part promises from Villa Fans that this player will make it or that player will make only for it to fizzle out like a damn squib on bonfire night.

I haven't seen this player so I can't make a judgement/prediction....All I'm saying is, if they are going to make it they will burst on to the scene like a steam train. The manager will be totally embarrassed in front of his coaches by leaving him out of the first team and scouts from everywhere will be sniffing.....thats when you know you have talent on your hands.

Who says it is?

Regardless this lad has it in **** spades. Nobody has suggested that's all he needs, just that (as with Okore) it will help him recover from the occasional lapse on concentration. Asking every player to read the game as well as McGrath or Laursen is a bit over the top don't you think? The best natural defender the game has ever seen and a guy who became a legend here in a little over 18 months.

It's also a bit misty eyed to a point. McGrath had pace and on those days when he wasn't quite "with us" it got him out of trouble. Martin Laursen dropped a few clangers in his time, but we forgave him because of everything else. Including the ability to score goals. That was his secret weapon, or one of them. It just so happens this lads is, you guessed it, blistering pace.

And I mean blistering.

DDID, Blistering pace is not the prime attribute I would look for in a Centre half....nice to have, but more attuned to a winger

If he can read the game, dominate at set pieces and marshall the defence as just a few of the attributes necessary to make a top centre half, not to mention composure, leadership and a will to win then pace would be nice to have too.

If we are hell bent on progressing our team/club I make no apologies for citing the Like of Paul McGrath and Martin Laursen as role models to emulate.

For too long we have had part promises from Villa Fans that this player will make it or that player will make only for it to fizzle out like a damn squib on bonfire night.

I haven't seen this player so I can't make a judgement/prediction....All I'm saying is, if they are going to make it they will burst on to the scene like a steam train. The manager will be totally embarrassed in front of his coaches by leaving him out of the first team and scouts from everywhere will be sniffing.....thats when you know you have talent on your hands...not to mention when they do get a run out its stoned bind obvious , like Barry, Shaw, Little, Cowans and so on.

Who says it is?

And I mean blistering.

I haven't seen this player so I can't make a judgement/prediction....All I'm saying is, if they are going to make it they will burst on to the scene like a steam train. The manager will be totally embarrassed in front of his coaches by leaving him out of the first team and scouts from everywhere will be sniffing.....thats when you know you have talent on your hands...not to mention when they do get a run out its stoned blind obvious , like Barry, Shaw, Little, Cowans and so on.

Kyle Walker had terrible positional ability when he played for us but his ridiculous pace more than made up for it. I think pace can be a handy attribute for a defender to have while they are still learning their other attributes.

TRO loves the quote button almost as much as John hates it.

sorry , ghost....will have to refrain.

just get carried away enjoying all the comments.

TRO loves the quote button almost as much as John hates it.

sorry , ghost....will have to refrain.

just get carried away enjoying all the comments....oops here I go again.

• Like 1

Agree with tro, you talk a lot of sense albeit in a long winded way but when Delfouneso first burst onto the first team, when he was 17 he looked like he was going to be a top class player, mon was waxing lyrical about him, shame it hasn't worked out for him yet

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

Agree with tro, you talk a lot of sense albeit in a long winded way but when Delfouneso first burst onto the first team, when he was 17 he looked like he was going to be a top class player, mon was waxing lyrical about him, shame it hasn't worked out for him yet

sorry if I over elaborate, just trying my best to get a point across.

bit older than most on here so my pc skills ain't as good as the young uns, but I can go back in terms of experience.( doesn't mean I'm right of course)

thanks for the bit of constructive criticism.

Edited by TRO

My pc skills are awful, it's why I use my phone, I'm only 22! When I can be bothered to read your posts, I always agree with them, you are a very knowledgeable football poster

at 62 if I don't know now....I've wasted an awful lot of money watching Aston Villa for 50 odd years.

...but seriously SGC Its all about opinions and that's all it is.

If you had Mourinho, Ferguson, Wenger and Hiddinck all in one room they wouldn't agree on everything football.

...could do with a few lessons on here from the better posters to improve my skills.

ps Apologies to the moderators for going off topic.

Edited by TRO

Â