Manchester United

BOF

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is the longest serving United manager since the 70s to not win a trophy. 

I think he gets a hard time by some but he needs to win something soon 

I think it’s better to be competitive in the premier league again and win nothing, than finish 5th or 6th but win the league cup, to a point… that point is this season I think. 
He’s got quality in depth now so needs to be competitive on all fronts. Needs minimum of a domestic cup final and latter stages of the CL. 

Problem he has is Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea… has there ever been 4 teams with such good squads as now? 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Genie said:

This is just football. You can’t draw conclusions upon the occasional blip which all teams have, even the best / wealthiest ones.

If they don’t get out of the group or miss out of CL qualification then criticism is fair but it doesn’t look like either will happen.

2nd last year and a penalty kick away from the Europa league trophy, it’s as good as it’s got for United over the last few years.

Ole is not without his faults but I’d be delighted as CEO or owner of United at what’s he’s doing.

He will start to feel the pressure to bring in some silverware now he’s had a bit of time to get the squad how he wants it.

I'm not saying he is doing badly but just saying that was a shocking result. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I think it’s better to be competitive in the premier league again and win nothing, than finish 5th or 6th but win the league cup, to a point… that point is this season I think. 
He’s got quality in depth now so needs to be competitive on all fronts. Needs minimum of a domestic cup final and latter stages of the CL. 

Problem he has is Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea… has there ever been 4 teams with such good squads as now? 

United, City, Chelsea, and Liverpool are insanely great teams at present. You could argue that a decade ago Arsenal's and Chelsea's squad were as good, maybe, if you were trying really hard, even though United won the PL with a much weaker squad.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Fergie won a league title with Cleverley Jones and Rafael.

Yeah he isn't Fergie and nobody even will be or win trophies at that rate again...but he's United manager. He needs to win trophies.

They are the second biggest club in world. Simple as that.

You win trophies no excuses.

13 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Ole has done a better job than Mourinho and Van Gaal.

Has he?

Mourinho won the League Cup, Europa League and finished second.

Van Gaal won the Fa Cup.

What has Ole won?

9 hours ago, jim said:

Has he?

Mourinho won the League Cup, Europa League and finished second.

Van Gaal won the Fa Cup.

What has Ole won?

On 23/08/2021 at 09:33, bobzy said:

Absolutely a good job, yes.

In the last 8 seasons, Man Utd have finished in the top 3 three times - once under Mourinho (17/18) and twice under Solskjaer (last two seasons).  Last season saw them score more goals than in any of the previous 8 and record their second highest points total too.  As mentioned above, he's now lead them to a league record unbeaten away run.  This is a side which is only improving - they aren't going backwards at all.

Also being done at a time where the league is arguably at it's most competitive for those top few (lets say, 3) positions with Man City probably the strongest side in the World right now, Liverpool being very, very good, Chelsea looking very strong and "also ran" sides (Spurs, Leicester) being more than capable of being right up there.  I'd even argue that the league as a whole is stronger - the mid table clubs beating the top teams isn't as 'shocking' anymore.

But Man Utd are progressing.  So, yes, he's doing a good job.

It's basically this - he's also got to 4 semi finals and obviously lost to Villarreal in the Europa League final.  Fine margins, but they're now competitive across the board whereas they just weren't under Mourinho or Van Gaal.

Always a hard one to gauge on "better job" because winning a trophy is better than not winning a trophy, but Solskjaer is doing a good job at Man Utd.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He is doing the bare minimum required.

Calling it a good job to win no trophies with over 400 million spent is a little odd.

That amount of money is probably 4th or 5th in the Prem during his time? We’ve spent a similar amount, right?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He is doing the bare minimum required.

Calling it a good job to win no trophies with over 400 million spent is a little odd.

It’s about what we’ve spent to hopefully not get relegated.

Ole has done a good job do far. Not amazing, not incredible but good. He’s gone very close to several trophies but has established them as a really good team. They went the whole of last season without losing away from home (4th in history). Ole has second most wins after 100 games of any United manager. He broke another record a week or 2 ago but I can’t remember what it was.

Hes performing well, has a solid squad now and I expect the trophies will come.

As I said before, I think stabilising them and being consistently good is better than snatching a trophy but having erratic form (like under Jose and LVG).

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Which for the glaziers is better than a cup

The real test is now that Woodward has gone, he was holding them back

Noticeable that the average age of the squad has reduced. They have a front 3 of Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood who could easily go for 10 years (and will improve). Shaw, AWB both take care of fullback for 6,7 years. 

Pogba, Fernandez got 4/5 good years in them. CB's going into their peak years.  Ronaldo will pay for himself. 

If they spend another 100million+ on a McFred upgrade, then for me they have built a scary team with 3/4 years of improvement.

As we found out, it's very hard to bring the average age of the squad down and remain competitive. Since Mourinho they've moved on Young, Blind, Carrick, Herrara, Rooney, Valencia, Rojo, Fellaini (all starters under Mourinho),

For me this season and next season, that squad rebuild is 9/10 done and now he needs something to show for it.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Which for the glaziers is better than a cup

The real test is now that Woodward has gone, he was holding them back

Their business this summer has been the best in a long time. 

Edited by Genie

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

There business this summer has been the best in a long time. 

Yep exactly, identify target, get him quick, relatively quiet in the media

Now if they can still manage their partners whilst remaining footballers rather than global superstars and focus themselves mentally they'll get better 

• Like 1

Â