Manchester United

BOF

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I’ll stick my neck out and say, injuries permitting, he’s probably going to be the best English player in several generations. The finishing is there already and he’ll have that gift for his whole career. Whether he can keep his pace and dribbling ability remains to be seen, but he’ll always be a world class finisher off both feet.

I think rather than the wage packet injuries are the things to avoid. Owen was amazing at 17-18 and doing it on the world stage. He then snapped his hamstring at Leeds in 98/99 season. Was still a very good finisher afterwards but he lost a bit of pace so all round wasn't the same force.

You think back to the England players coming through from 2010 and it really is a lost England generation. Jones, Wilshere, Carroll, Welbeck and Sturridge. Yes most of them not as good as they were all hyped up to but combined they must've lost over 10 years of career due to injury.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Dropping £65m on a midfielder in January appears to have helped quite a bit too.  

Well yes. As well as 150m on 2 defenders etc. He was always going to be backed to the hilt, that was part of the project. They were always missing that creative midfielder so they splashed the cash in January after missing out on August. Patience. Now they're reaping the rewards. I imagine next summer they'll strengthen even further and before you know it they'll be serious contenders. If you were to listen to impatient United fans or pundits over the last couple of seasons you would think they were going to be relegated by 2021.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Well yes. As well as 150m on 2 defenders etc. He was always going to be backed to the hilt, that was part of the project. They were always missing that creative midfielder so they splashed the cash in January after missing out on August. Patience. Now they're reaping the rewards. I imagine next summer they'll strengthen even further and before you know it they'll be serious contenders. If you were to listen to impatient United fans or pundits over the last couple of seasons you would think they were going to be relegated by 2021.

A lot of that is 35 year old blokes from Warwickshire/Surrey/America questioning if they chose the right bandwagon to jump on now Liverpool have won the Champions League and Premier League.  They'll claim different expectations and see it as the same thing. You can't even be miserable about football without glory hunters claiming that too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

A lot of that is 35 year old blokes from Warwickshire/Surrey/America questioning if they chose the right bandwagon to jump on now Liverpool have won the Champions League and Premier League.  They'll claim different expectations and see it as the same thing. You can't even be miserable about football without glory hunters claiming that too. 

You should have seen Redcafe over the past year or 2. I swear we were more optimistic in 2016 after we got relegated.

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Still only 5th.

Still not won anything.

In comparison Mourinho won Community Shield, The League Cup and Europa League in his first season.

Finished 2nd in his second season.

I can see them winning the europa league. Still got a decent chance they'll win FA cup considering they've beaten Man. City home and away in league and will probably finish at least 4th now (Mourinho finished 6th in his first season).

Quite a turnaround considering how bad they were up to February.

On 11/07/2020 at 15:53, Wainy316 said:

Let's have a sweepstake. In which minute will their penalty be awarded on Monday?

I've jumped on the Bruno FPL captain bandwagon so I'm hoping this prediction is right :)

On 10/07/2020 at 15:49, villalad21 said:

Still only 5th.

Still not won anything.

In comparison Mourinho won Community Shield, The League Cup and Europa League in his first season.

Finished 2nd in his second season.

True, but have you watched them lately?

I'd argue they look like the best team in the league since the restart. They're scintillating going forward.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

True, but have you watched them lately?

I'd argue they look like the best team in the league since the restart. They're scintillating going forward.

Fernandes is an example of what 1 quality player at the right time can do for a club.

People talk about overhauls but sometimes 1 players comes in and gets the whole team working better.

• Like 1

Â