Manchester United

BOF

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

What the hell are they doing atm? Floating along like a turd down river.

Giving Liverpool a great chance to setup a brilliant foundation.

If City collapse post-Pep, it's only Leicester challenging them!

We really need to see the likes of VvD, Allison, Salah and Mane picked off by the real European big boys.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

City are collapsing under Pep to be honest.

no they're not, not hitting the record breaking heights of the previous 2 seasons does not mean a collapse...

Liverpool's incredible form is making city's average form look worse than it is, to be fair if you're going to dip for a year then it might as well be the year that Liverpool peak, even if city were doing what city do I think they'd struggle to top Liverpool this year

they'll finish 2nd, win the league cup, maybe the FA cup, crash out of the CL in spectacular fashion again and the knives will come out for them underperforming, ridiculous

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

no they're not, not hitting the record breaking heights of the previous 2 seasons does not mean a collapse...

Liverpool's incredible form is making city's average form look worse than it is, to be fair if you're going to dip for a year then it might as well be the year that Liverpool peak, even if city were doing what city do I think they'd struggle to top Liverpool this year

they'll finish 2nd, win the league cup, maybe the FA cup, crash out of the CL in spectacular fashion again and the knives will come out for them underperforming, ridiculous

If they fail to win anything of substance this season then it isn't anything other than a decline and failure, a club of that 'size' and resources should not be going through a season without winning a major honour. Frankly if you look at this City side it is, by their standards, falling apart, they look a shambles at the back and have a lot of expensive players who aren't delivering. It needs an overhaul and to be in this position by his fourth season is indicative of a major decline.

same as always with city, it depends what measuring stick you want to use for them, if its trophies then yeah this year will probably be poor compared to last year, the Bayern, PSG, Juve style dominance hasn't happened but their trophy haul under pep is still looking better than it was under previous managers (city IMO are relatively unsuccessful in the first 10 years of the oil money, won less than Chelsea's first 10 years under roman)

but I think their owners are measuring him by football economics, growth, market share, marketability etc etc all of which will continue to grow thanks to the style of football they play, they might "only" win the league cup this year but if they see a 5% growth in the north American market then the owners wont consider it a decline, if de bruyne and sterling go on to have a great euros or they buy the star of the euros this summer then it probably doesn't matter if they win a thing

dragging it back to man utd their entire model is based around the same, and they are shit at it

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

This.

It's a disappointing season by their usual standards, so far. but it's hardly a collapse.

Let's be honest they'll probably still finish the season with a trophy or two. And with the league as good as gone, wouldn't surprise me to see them going close in the Champions League.

To be honest, I've been assuming for a while that City have been semi-deliberately losing points in the PL, to give them a better focus on the CL. Kind of in the same way that pro cyclists sometimes deliberately lose time to signal that they're only going for stages, not the general classification. 

3 hours ago, sne said:

"The real Jesse Lingard" is a thing now apparently.

As in he want's to bring back the real Jesse Lingard who was so successful for a couple of weeks a few years back earning him his latest contract.

Both SKY, OGS and the man himself mentioning it articles today. 

A relaunch ahead of the 2020 Euro's with the help of Mino Raiola. I'm so excited.

I am waiting for his the Footballer formerly known as Jesse Lingard phase

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

This.

It's a disappointing season by their usual standards, so far. but it's hardly a collapse.

Let's be honest they'll probably still finish the season with a trophy or two. And with the league as good as gone, wouldn't surprise me to see them going close in the Champions League.

Apparently they're also the best team in the league in terms of "expected goals" and whatnot.  Obviously this isn't what has happened, but in terms of how every match has gone and what the expected outcome would usually look like, Man City would be top having lost once.

People do bang on about trophies a lot though.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I am waiting for his the Footballer formerly known as Jesse Lingard phase

Just refer to him as this sign. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhTg97p-jT-peU0T_KO2v

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Ashley Young close to joining Inter Milan.:lol:

Guy's had some career whichever way you look at it.

They will probably promote some other young lad from their under 18s to replace him.  Poor young Williams wasn't able for El Ghazi nevermind what the likes of Man City can throw at him.

25 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

They really are ****! Couldn’t do us a favour! Losing to Burnley at home could be the end for Solskaer.

He does this, you think he’s finished then he’ll win a couple and keep the wolf from the door again.

33 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

2/3rds of the way through January and they still haven't been able to sign anyone, their decline could last some time. 🙂

It must be hard for them (Not that I have any sympathy!) because players and agents know they have lots of money and are desperate. No CL football means players will just ask for silly money, take it or leave it.

My friend who is a united fan is pleased they lost.

it highlights what has been said on there. 

the Glazers have used United like a credit card, whilst they’ve spent a lot of money, albeit some of it very poorly, they’ve relied on buying players and have never recreated the strong youth setup of 90s and early 00s.

the issue is top down, moreso on Glazers and Woodward than OGS.

hes not the right manager but getting Poch in will solve very little and is a short term measure. They’ve had plenty of capable managers and delivered pretty poor.

ferguson glossed over the eroding of their traditional ethos and approach to managing their club and the football they’ve been known for playing. 

what it does show me is that the villa fan base is equally fickle as any other and We need to buy in to how we are trying to build long term, with a villa man as manager, and we should be trying to bring quality players in who buy into the club. 

we should buy Lolly for that single purpose, if you love the club you play for you give more on the pitch it’s that simple. There’s no substitute for it. 

i don’t think Smith should go if we go down, we need to look at our club root and branch and continue to drive forward every aspect of the club.

united need to rip up their approach on how they operate and start again. Otherwise they will be Europa league at best for the next decade. 

Â