Manchester United

BOF

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Not good enough to be a starter though.

He was to Man Utd what Albrighton was to us. 

It's a shame we only noticed what a player we had once he was gone.

Poorly run club. All of a sudden the mighty Man Utd are closer to being relegation fodder than being actual contenders. The Glazers don't care. The stadium is outdated the players suck, the manager doesn't make a difference, and the future looks bleak. Can't say I mind.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Poorly run club. All of a sudden the mighty Man Utd are closer to being relegation fodder than being actual contenders. The Glazers don't care. The stadium is outdated the players suck, the manager doesn't make a difference, and the future looks bleak. Can't say I mind.

They'll care if relegation looks like it could seriously happen. It wouldn't be allowed under any circumstances 

27 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

They'll care if relegation looks like it could seriously happen. It wouldn't be allowed under any circumstances 

If they lose to Liverpool, the Norwich game will be a relegation game no matter how you look at it.

• Haha 1

After the Liverpool game, they have a fair few 'easy' fixtures (Norwich, Sheff Utd, Brighton etc), but I can still see them struggling against them!

Even though we should probably hope for them to beat the other relegation favourites, I'd still enjoy seeing them get turned over by the bottom sides.

I'm seeing a lot of arguing amongst their own fans now as well. I sit by a handful of Man Utd fans (all Birmingham born and bred, obviously), and 1 is a strong 'Ole In', 1 is a firm 'Ole Out' and the other seems to sit on the fence.

The guy who wants Ole In has been tweeting for weeks about how Ole needs a whole season, at least, and that their problem is the squad and Ed Woodward. He keeps tweeting a new list of 'players to sign in January' every week, probably based on who has looked good that weekend. Of course, last week he put 'McGinn if we can tempt Villa to sell' in his wishlist :crylaugh:

I'm just really enjoying them not having everything gifted to them, like they had in the Fergie years.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

After the Liverpool game, they have a fair few 'easy' fixtures (Norwich, Sheff Utd, Brighton etc), but I can still see them struggling against them!

The thing is all them teams will view the man utd game as a very winnable game.

At the moment Man Utd are barely averaging 1 shot on goal per game. Attacking wise they are one of the worst teams in the league.

15 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The thing is all them teams will view the man utd game as a very winnable game.

At the moment Man Utd are barely averaging 1 shot on goal per game. Attacking wise they are one of the worst teams in the league.

It's great isn't it?

A few years ago, a game against Man Utd was often lost before the players were out of the tunnel. The fear that they put into other sides meant that mistakes were made, decisions went their way and as the clock ran down, you just expected them to score one or more goals.

Now, it feels like everyone in the league is looking forward to playing the team that we've all hated for 20 years and are now finally experiencing what it's like to be a poorly run team. 

It's going to be nigh on impossible for Old to turn that ship round, it's rudderless.  It's quickly approaching an iceberg, Ole hasn't got a captains hat on, the violinists are starting up and something about a Bassoonist.  There isn't enough life boats on board and the port is on the starboard side and there's a lot of shit on the poop deck.  The bow is creaking and the stern looks really ruddy stern.  The Hull was left in Hull and the Gunwale have bought David Luiz.  Woodhall wishes he could be beamed up and boomed out, because he's a cockpit. When you look at the squad it's like a galley of mastheads, paddles and bilge.  I hope they fall off the bridge.

🎼AND THAT'S HOW WE REMEMBER PART OF A SHIP! 

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

What? He scored probably the most famous goal in club history. 

For a start

I know he did but he was a decent player not a great one. Roy Keane was a great one but don't think the fans would stomach him as manager for too long. 

For a start

I know he did but he was a decent player not a great one. Roy Keane was a great one but don't think the fans would stomach him as manager for too long. 

For a start

• Like 1

They are in a real bind. Allegri is the stand out candidate who is available, but I can't see him putting this stink on his CV mid season. Phelan and Carrick to take over for the rest of the season. I love if they brought Keano in mind. Please don't stop stinking dearest Manure.

16 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Whoa watch it. He's a legend because he was a good player, scoring the most important goal in their history arguably.

You can be a legend and not be a great player, you call him a 'good player' and that's absolutely right. He scored that goal in the Champions League final and was brilliant at coming off the bench and scoring goals, both traits which made him a club legend, but his overall record for them wasn't exactly amazing and he had a lot of limitations as a player.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

You can be a legend and not be a great player, you call him a 'good player' and that's absolutely right. He scored that goal in the Champions League final and was brilliant at coming off the bench and scoring goals, both traits which made him a club legend, but his overall record for them wasn't exactly amazing and he had a lot of limitations as a player.

sure to some Alan Hutton is a club legend at Villa ;) 

14 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I was with you until his record. 91 goals in 235 appearances is remarkable without even considering how much of those appearances were off the bench. He's in the top 20 in PL history for minutes to goal ratio which is crazy for someone who played for 11 years.

He was a great player who was kept out of the best team in the world by truly world class players but still played and contributed his fair share. It's not like Alan Hutton for us like @Zatman referred to. You don't become a United legend without being very good. 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I was with you until his record. 91 goals in 235 appearances is remarkable without even considering how much of those appearances were off the bench. He's in the top 20 in PL history for minutes to goal ratio which is crazy for someone who played for 11 years.

He was a great player who was kept out of the best team in the world by truly world class players but still played and contributed his fair share. It's not like Alan Hutton for us like @Zatman referred to. You don't become a United legend without being very good. 

It's 126 in 366 overall which isn't that amazing or remarkable although would be interesting to see that cut on sub appearances to sub goals etc. His record for Norway was hardly anything to write home about either. Definitely not a great player. Ruud van Nistelrooy was a great player, OGS just a good player.

Solskjær is probably a bigger legend amongst United fans than the likesof  Cole, "Teddy Sheringham", Dwight Yorke and most other players outside of the obvious ones like Giggs, Scholes and Cantona. Legends who aren't great players are usually referred to as 'cult heroes' but I'd say Solskjær falls in the legendry status category because of his overall contribution, willingness to be a bench player and of course for his goal in the European Cup Final. His record in the Premier league is 91 goals, 37 assists in 235 appearances, which is very good considering that a lot of those appearances would have been from the bench and I think I'm right in saying he didn't always play as a striker, sometimes he'd fill in as a winger.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's 126 in 366 overall which isn't that amazing or remarkable although would be interesting to see that cut on sub appearances to sub goals etc. His record for Norway was hardly anything to write home about either. Definitely not a great player. Ruud van Nistelrooy was a great player, OGS just a good player.

Interestingly enough, his minutes per goal ratio in all competitions is almost identical to his minutes per goal ratio in the PL (154 and 152 respectively). I couldn't find his sub appearances vs starts in all competitions but the minutes per goal ratio seems to suggest he played even less minutes in cup competitions than in the PL.

Dwight Yorke for example, one of our greatest players of the modern era who also kept him out of the team for years had a similar goal scoring record for both us and United. It really is a remarkable record especially when the minutes per goal ratio is taken into account. Under different circumstances, at a different club he could have been an Inzaghi type player but he forged a unique role at United under SAF.

Â