Manchester United

BOF

20 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He failed at Cardiff though Kenji.

And fair enough they might have been relegated regardless of the coach but OGS got another shot with Cardiff in the Championship and he failed hard there as well.

I just don't follow the logic that a manager failing at a club means he can't succeed at other clubs. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I just don't follow the logic that a manager failing at a club means he can't succeed at other clubs. 

neither do i

the laziest one is "could pep do it at Grimsby" etc it doesn't take in to account the "management" of these big name well paid top quality players, its another facet entirely, maybe Cardiff was a bad fit, maybe utd has a decent team in there somewhere (as we saw when OGS started, they aren't as bad as they were playing for jose) he has problems at utd such as Pogba and Sanchez's effort, lukaku and luke shaw's weight, expectation, these are things that don't exist at Cardiff, requires a different skill set, a bit of ego stroking, he might have it

then you add in age, both in terms of experience and decline, OGS is probably a better manager better prepared than what he was at Cardiff, he definitely has a better coaching set up which he might be very good at utilising but didn't get the opportunity to show it at cardiff

FWIW I don't think he's the right man for the job, I think utd have issues bigger than the manager but I don't think failing at Cardiff automatically means he will fail at utd

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Gary Neville said the same thing last week. Said there were players like himself, Wes, Nicky Butt, his brother, Darren Fletcher etc who weren't THAT good but the team needed players like that and SAF somehow got them to play at that level anyway.

He really is looking so much more remarkable now with the benefit of hindsight. One thing that sticks out now is the lineup he played away to Wolfsburg in the CL and won 3-1. Wolfsburg were probably the best team in Germany that year too. Any other manager and that team would have done well to stay up.

CNb-WOjWIAApVFq.jpg

This is the team that put 8 past Arsenal, absolute madness.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Shows you what a genius Sir Alex was. 

To be honest, it was an impossible task to follow him. He didn't even have the good grace to go out with a whimper like Cloughie, he only went and won the Premier League with a poor team! 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair I think back in the day Fergie would have brought these through and made them look 10 times better than they were, use them to good effect and THEN sell them to a midtable side where they'd end up looking average.

He had a great knack of getting the most out of players. Players like John O'Shea and Wes Brown looked great, or did very well, in Man Utd teams even though they weren't great players.

Didn't they win a title one season with Anderson and Tom Cleverley as their central midfield partnership for half of the season?

I’ve only been following football since 2013 and stopped paying much attention to the Prem once we went down, but Man U seems to be one disappointment after another. I respect their pedigree and history, as opposed to new-school big money clubs like City, but in my eyes they are 6th out of 6 for “big clubs” in England.

17 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

I’ve only been following football since 2013 and stopped paying much attention to the Prem once we went down, but Man U seems to be one disappointment after another. I respect their pedigree and history, as opposed to new-school big money clubs like City, but in my eyes they are 6th out of 6 for “big clubs” in England.

i remember the 90s well, when they were the big dog, and so big there wasnt another dog in town.

Been interesting to watch their demise, they have gone from undoubtedly the best Prem club, hated nation wide by everyone except Manure fans, to a club that you could legitimately debate whether they are a top 6 side any more, and debate confidently that they are not a top 4 side.

Whats even more ironic is that its not down to lack of money spent, its down to numerous things such as multiple poor recruitment windows, wrong players, poor players, wrong mentality players, wrong managers maybe even.

they have spent something like 1 BILLION on transfers in the last 8 years.

let that sink in........£1 BILLION english pounds.

.......their fall from grace has been a pleasure to watch :P

Edited by MaVilla
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Let's just enjoy this. Hope OGS is still they're manager when we play them.

I think it's only fair to give him a couple of years to put his ideas in to practise. 

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

i remember the 90s well, when they were the big dog, and so big there wasnt another dog in town.

Been interesting to watch their demise, they have gone from undoubtedly the best Prem club, hated nation wide by everyone except Manure fans, to a club that you could legitimately debate whether they are a top 6 side any more, and debate confidently that they are not a top 4 side.

Whats even more ironic is that its not down to lack of money spent, its down to numerous things such as multiple poor recruitment windows, wrong players, poor players, wrong mentality players, wrong managers maybe even.

they have spent something like 1 BILLION on transfers in the last 8 years.

let that sink in........£1 BILLION english pounds.

.......their fall from grace has been a pleasure to watch :P

The thing is they haven't even really suffered for it. All it would take is them to get the right manager and transfer policy and they'll be right back at the top, instead of being in terminal decline like they should be. 

I want at LEAST 2 points off this shower this season! But I know they're just saving some Eduardo No-Hoper to make his debut score 2 screamers then end up at Grimley Town

Â