Manchester United

BOF

56 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Most likely not a profit figure, plus United won't see all of that money anyway since they do not manufacture the kits.

At an average of £50 a shirt, £270m in shirt sales is 5.4m shirts. I would hazard a guess that even if man united had not signed progba or Zlatan they would still have sold most of those anyway. And as you say, it's not a profit figure.

9 hours ago, villa89 said:

At an average of £50 a shirt, £270m in shirt sales is 5.4m shirts. I would hazard a guess that even if man united had not signed progba or Zlatan they would still have sold most of those anyway. And as you say, it's not a profit figure.

Isnt it like £1.50 a letter as well, Ibrahimovic making money from his letters alone

The shirt sales myth has been around since Perez claimed that Madrid made their money back on their galactico signings through selling shirts.

It's utter bollocks, United would have also shifted a huge number of shirts under Moyes and Van Gaal. Liverpool shirts still sell in massive amounts despite them being utter shite for the past 25 years.

• Like 1

Do the clubs see any/much of the money anyway? I always thought that the manufacturers do these deals with the clubs for £xm a year because they have made estimates about how many shirts they predict they'll sell. 

Club gets the fixed amount, shirts above or below the estimation are profit or loss for the manufacturer.

I find it hard to believe that there were 3.8m shirts bought with Pogba on the back in just 3 weeks, and that these were all incremental purchases which is what the quote is suggesting.

The 'record breaking' deal that united signed with Adidas was for £75m a year (up from about £23m). £190m in 3 weeks because of 1 player doesn't pass the laugh out loud test.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Liverpool shirts still sell in massive amounts despite them being utter shite for the past 25 years.

I've definitely seen more redscouse FKW's than any other team. They're everywhere up there.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm still not sure what Pogba brings to the party to justify any transfer fee, let alone €100m+

Doesn't score or create goals. Not really defensive.... anyone?

I've been asking this for about 6 months, I just can't see it myself.

Couldn't in the Euro's and I can't now.

• Like 1

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

He was brilliant for Juve.  Very few players are worth £100m though, and he isn't one of them.  Mourinho does end up killing or at least stalling the careers of some excellent footballers.

But what was it specifically he was brilliant at? I don't tend to watch much Italian football apart from internationals and CL.

For £50m+ you'd like to know what you're getting. When you think about other huge deals like Suarez, Neymar, Bale, Ronaldo, de Bryne, Aguero, Silva... you know what you're getting and why the team is buying the player. With Pogba its not that clear (to me at least) why he commanded such a transfer fee.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

But what was it specifically he was brilliant at? I don't tend to watch much Italian football apart from internationals and CL.

For £50m+ you'd like to know what you're getting. When you think about other huge deals like Suarez, Neymar, Bale, Ronaldo, de Bryne, Aguero, Silva... you know what you're getting and why the team is buying the player. With Pogba its not that clear (to me at least) why he commanded such a transfer fee.

The answer I usually get from people on this is he isn't exceptional at anything but very good at everything. Not seen it yet myself though.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Don't make me post a YouTube video ;) But nah I can understand what you're saying, when he was at Juve I saw him score some incredible goals from midfield which added to his physical attributes and good technique made him formidable in that team.  Whether he stood out more physically in Serie A because it comes across as a league with older players who haven't quite got the legs that the Prem has, I'm not sure.  If I were Urinal I'd never have spent that much for him, mainly because of the embarrassment of letting him go for free in the first place.

I think part of the problem at least is that Jose seems to be playing people out of position to get players like Rooney into the 11. Look at this from the BBC.

How is anyone apart from Zlatan realistically supposed to know who is doing what when they are all out of position?

_91293441_manutdstartingxivswatford.jpg

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Don't make me post a YouTube video ;) But nah I can understand what you're saying, when he was at Juve I saw him score some incredible goals from midfield which added to his physical attributes and good technique made him formidable in that team.  Whether he stood out more physically in Serie A because it comes across as a league with older players who haven't quite got the legs that the Prem has, I'm not sure.  If I were Urinal I'd never have spent that much for him, mainly because of the embarrassment of letting him go for free in the first place.

We've all seen that volley ;-)

8 goals and 5 assists last year earned him the move. 8 goals the year before, its not exactly Lampard is it? 

As an aside I saw that Lampard has scored 11 in 16 games so far in the MLS. 

Pogba is very athletic, he can get around, he can play box to box.  He's got a great 1st touch, he gets himself out of trouble and often takes defence into attack.  He's pretty quick, even with the ball.  He's not bad at shooting.  Certainly no Lampard, but he will score Scholes goals (good'uns).  He tracks back well, aided by his athletic qualities.  Tackling is ok, can dispossess some players.  He's tall, and psychically imposing (will get better in PL), he's strong.

He's an all rounder, with age on his side. 

He's the closest mix between Viera and Zidane, but without touching the brilliance of their defending/attacking attributes.  I'm struggling of a player to compare him to.  He's the kind of player than can make a difference in a final - if that makes sense.  

I've never seen Pogba dominate a big game, he was missing in the big games at the Euro's and isn't really imposing himself on the games I've seen for United. He doesn't appear to be influential enough at the moment. Ability wise he also appears to be a jack of all trades but a master of none.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I still think Pogba price tag is a smokescreen for the real problem at United. Mourinho lack of bottle to drop Rooney

I agree, but if Jose wants to keep his job and reputation then he needs to drop him. Maybe Rooney will pick up an "injury" in training which might sideline him for a few weeks...

Surely the solution to the Pogba problem is.....drop Fellani. Unbelievable how that guy is still at United and has been a regular starter for three different managers now.

If we're talking about Pogba never doing much in big games then Fellani is the ultimate flat track bully to me and has all the mobility of a lamppost against central midfields that actually press and have mobility.

I got carried away by United but it's clear they still have major issues in selecting players like Fellani and Rooney who have seen better days.

Short term I think Schnderlien, Herrera and Pogba might be a better balanced midfield.

Â