Manchester United

BOF

10 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

Be interesting to see who they can get rid of now. Even though they are United and generate more money than most clubs could ever imagine, they will need to get a few off the wage bill and get some money back in transfer fees.

Paddy McNair and Donald Love are off to Sunderland for a combined £4-5 million.

Ashley Young is rumoured to be off to Palace.

Wouldn't surpise me if the following leave:

Jones

Rojo

Schweinsteger

Darmian

Romero

thye would take any bid for Fellaini at this stage 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

So, Pogba. Worth the fee? Best midfielder in the world? 

Can't answer the second question, but on the first:

The flippant answer is 'yes, he's easily worth two John Stones'.

The more serious answer is still probably yes. It's been said on here many times before but the truth is there just aren't many truly world class players in the Premier League, most of the best players are just a rung or two down the ladder from the real real superstars. United have bagged themselves a superstar. They weren't going to get back to winning the league spending £25m a pop on the Schneiderlins and Fellainis of the world - they get you to the top six. It's the Pogbas that make you a power again (I predict, of course I may be wrong). 

There's also a signalling value in being seen to be the sort of club who can spend £100m on a player if they want to, which of course necessitates doing so from time to time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Not sure, Mourinho seems to like him like LVG did so he could survive another season there.

Morgan Schnderlein could go, surprised as he was really good at Southampton and thought Mourinho could maybe revive him. Can see him going to Everton and linking up with Koeman again.

Mata aswell, Mourinho hates him and never tires of subtle ways of showing it. :lol:

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Doubtful, he just started on Sunday. Sunderland have also enquired and we apparently said he isn't for sale. Same report says Sunderland have bid in the region of 15m for Adnan. I'll be extremely annoyed if he is sold but unfortunately I can see it happening. 

On the matter of whether he's worth it or not, I'll leave it to Pirlo.

“I will always remember the first day he had training at Juventus,

“He was only young, but we could see he was special.

“There was almost a disbelief that Manchester United had let this player go.”

“A lot of people have a lot to say about what the fee could be and if he’s worth it. But when you pay a big fee you just have to ask one question – can this player play a big part in us winning trophies?

“If he can do that then it will always be worth it for the buying club.

“We know Pogba can do this and we know he can do it for a lot of years to come.

8 hours ago, BOF said:

On the matter of whether he's worth it or not, I'll leave it to Pirlo.

“I will always remember the first day he had training at Juventus,

“He was only young, but we could see he was special.

“There was almost a disbelief that Manchester United had let this player go.”

“A lot of people have a lot to say about what the fee could be and if he’s worth it. But when you pay a big fee you just have to ask one question – can this player play a big part in us winning trophies?

“If he can do that then it will always be worth it for the buying club.

“We know Pogba can do this and we know he can do it for a lot of years to come.

Yeah that's nice Pirlo, but I think you'll find I said it first, about half a page ago. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Can't answer the second question, but on the first:

The flippant answer is 'yes, he's easily worth two John Stones'.

The more serious answer is still probably yes. It's been said on here many times before but the truth is there just aren't many truly world class players in the Premier League, most of the best players are just a rung or two down the ladder from the real real superstars. United have bagged themselves a superstar. They weren't going to get back to winning the league spending £25m a pop on the Schneiderlins and Fellainis of the world - they get you to the top six. It's the Pogbas that make you a power again (I predict, of course I may be wrong). 

There's also a signalling value in being seen to be the sort of club who can spend £100m on a player if they want to, which of course necessitates doing so from time to time. 

I think I agree. They have spent c£70m on Herrera, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger and they haven't delivered. Spending £90m on a player that may be the best midfielder in the world makes sense when compared to that 

Pogba is very, very good. But he's not worth €100m+. Will go down as possibly the most successful transfer ever. Signed on a free, won 4 league titles in 4 years, made over €100m profit.

Different players, but I'd argue Pjanic is the better player. And he cost Juventus 1/3 of what they sold Pogba for.

On 9 August 2016 at 20:32, Ikantcpell said:

And will be the highest paid player with £290.000 a week.

Makes me sick when i think of the 900 million people around the globe that dont have access to clean water, something is very wrong!

I know if just another 100 million could be less selfish he could have had £300k.

• Like 1

I saw something earlier that as a percentage of revenue at the time Ferdinand cost more and Rooney nearly the same as Pogba. I suppose its all relevant to your current situation. £100 million for one player especially one who doesnt score 40+ a season is ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I saw something earlier that as a percentage of revenue at the time Ferdinand cost more and Rooney nearly the same as Pogba. I suppose its all relevant to your current situation. £100 million for one player especially one who doesnt score 40+ a season is ridiculous. 

If he helps your club score 40+ goals and helps you get wins, then he is worth it. If United finish top 4 then Pogba will be worth it. 

10 hours ago, Seat68 said:

It my memory but dont marquee signings fail at Man United?

United have never really went out their way to pay big for top players in their prime. Di Maria Veron, Ferdinand and maybe Mata and Berbatov are only ones can think. Di Maria you would say is a failure with Veron

likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy were unproven talents or they got veterans on cheap like Cantona and Van Der Sar

47 minutes ago, Zatman said:

United have never really went out their way to pay big for top players in their prime. Di Maria Veron, Ferdinand and maybe Mata and Berbatov are only ones can think. Di Maria you would say is a failure with Veron

likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, Van Nistelrooy were unproven talents or they got veterans on cheap like Cantona and Van Der Sar

For years, utd always had the highest transfers.. Don't forget Ferdinand was 30m when most other clubs weren't breaking 10m, tevez was 25m+ 

Rooney whilst young was still 30m

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

For years, utd always had the highest transfers.. Don't forget Ferdinand was 30m when most other clubs weren't breaking 10m, tevez was 25m+ 

Rooney whilst young was still 30m

I was comparing on more global stage. the fees United paid under Ferguson were nothing compared to teams on the continent at the time. Like they never really signed a huge name like Zidane, Figo or a Ronaldinho was my point

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

If he helps your club score 40+ goals and helps you get wins, then he is worth it. If United finish top 4 then Pogba will be worth it. 

They could finish top 4 without him.

They need to be winning league titles again and a champions league to say this was really a signing to make a difference I'd say like Bale contributing to Madrid's two CLs.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

They could finish top 4 without him.

They need to be winning league titles again and a champions league to say this was really a signing to make a difference I'd say like Bale contributing to Madrid's two CLs.

Could is the key word though. After last season, it made sense to strengthen their squad which they did. There are plenty of clubs who I could see finishing top 4 this season and United needed to be one of them especially because their sponsorship deals involve United being in the champions league. 

On 9 August 2016 at 20:32, Ikantcpell said:

And will be the highest paid player with £290.000 a week.

Makes me sick when i think of the 900 million people around the globe that dont have access to clean water, something is very wrong!

Don't, the difference between rich and wealthy

weve got a bloke drop don dead Monday who leaves a 25 year old as the richest British bloke I think, owns more of London than anyone else...in the grand scheme of things £290k a week isn't wealthy 

as Chris Rock says how much do you think the bloke who signs the pay cheque of all these players is on?

Â