Manchester United

BOF

I like Moyes.

I've thought for years that whoever follows Ferguson will fail and then the second replacement would do immensely well.

However, I always assumed that somebody like Mourinho would get the job and **** it up. I always had Moyes down as 'the second guy' who would do well once the pressure of replacing Fergie had gone. Will definitely be interesting to see what happens there this season.

I'm going to go with 2nd and an awful showing in the cups.

Mourinho will win the league, Pellegrini will do well in the Champions League but not much else. Good chance for Us, Everton, Liverpool and Spurs to take a stab at the domestic cups imo

I give Moyes six months before the daggers come out and calls for Fergie to return howl from the gloryhunting cockneys in the stands and the merchandise consumers around the globe.

You just cannot underestimate how much that club owes to Ferguson. Their entire existence revolves around him and now he's gone, the gamesmanship, mind games and conning the ref are gone too.

Moyes hasnt won anything of any note as a manager, plays a different game and isnt known for mind games. I don't think he carries the same level of respect as old whisky nose. The squad isnt as good any more, but Ferguson carried that team and made a mediocre (by championship winning sides) perform way above their ability. Just look at the amount of games they came back from losing positions to win, often by late, late goals.

However they are just too big a club to miss out completely, and they'll finish at least top 4 every year. I hope this now means we can finally beat them at home for a change!

He'll be sacked within two years I reckon, but his replacement will be far more successful, as the expectation levels will have diminished slightly!

When was the last time we beat these clearings in the woods at VP?

Paul McGrath played for us the last time we beat Manchester United at Villa Park (I exclude the league cup game in 1999 where our first team beat their reserves)

Paul McGrath is 53. 

Moyes is good enough to get his players to buy into his system and get on with things. It'll be them, Man City and Chelsea, with Spurs and Arsenal knocking on the door. Same as last year, basically. Where it could get dicey for Moyes is when Mourinho starts in with the mind games to try and shake him. How he responds to the pressure of success is the key.

I think the reason we never had a thread on them is because everyone is so fed up of losing to them we just didn't want to talk about them.

We've had some absolute corkers against Moyes' Everton in the last 10 years, would be great to see some of them against Man U with us coming out on top.

Their squad is incredibly weak, but I've thought that for honestly the last 4 years, yet they've got 2 league titles in that time.

They need a centre mid really badly.

I normally want Man U to fail but it would be bad for British managers if Moyes does badly...

Going by that logic, you wanted them to fail under a British manager in Ferguson?

Ferguson was different though since he was already there for so long.

I thinking more in terms of British managers being given the chance to manage the Champions League clubs.

Ferguson was appointed before the Champions League even existed.

I normally want Man U to fail but it would be bad for British managers if Moyes does badly...

Just out of curiosity, did you want Villa to do badly when we appointed Houllier?

No but I wanted us to return to a British manager afterwards (obviously not McLeish though.)

Just out of curiosity, did you want Villa to do badly when we appointed Houllier?

No but I wanted us to return to a British manager afterwards (obviously not McLeish though.)

So you think the nationality of the Villa manager is more important than ability?

So you think the nationality of the Villa manager is more important than ability?

No.

I think the nationality of the England manager is more important than ability.

Doesn't matter at club level.

Edited by TRS-T

No.

I think the nationality of the England manager is more important than ability.

Doesn't matter at club level.

Clearly the FA does thinks that too, unfortunately.

I hope they end up 6th, sack Moyes in January when they are 9th in the table  and have Giggs as a player-coach til the end of the season. It would be nice if they experienced a bad year, its about bloody time. More likely is that they will muddle to 3rd, about 10-15pts from 1st, and maybe win a cup. Moyes will still be manager but under a bit of pressure.

Unless they make any signings I'm gonna stick my neck on the line and say they'll finish 5th. Behind Chelsea, City, Arsenal and Spurs. Without the Fergie factor I don't think that team is top 4 material, only takes for RVP to be injured for a run of games and they'll struggle.

Obviously we'll never know now, but I think if Fergie had stayed for another year at United they would finish 3rd next season, in terms of the individuals this is one of the weakest Manchester United teams this century. Moyes has come in and they will probably finish 3rd and people will be like oh if Fergie was still here they would of won, but Fergie would have probably got them 3rd anyway. Fergie knew Mourinho was coming back and thought this is the perfect time to exit the scene.

I hope people are patient with Moyes, but I know they won't be.

When was the last time we beat these clearings in the woods at VP?

Paul McGrath played for us the last time we beat Manchester United at Villa Park (I exclude the league cup game in 1999 where our first team beat their reserves)

Paul McGrath is 53.

Yet he's still better than Clark.

Â