Manchester United

BOF

I think utd will be way behind citeh and chelsea this season. they will still be ahead of spurs and arsenal though in 3rd unless wenger can spend his £60m and get some quality in.

If Roberto Mancini can win the league with Man City, then David Moyes can win the league with Man Utd. Easy as that. Mancini never was a really good manager, but when you are winning you are suddenly awesome. Moyes couldn't win with Everton, that was impossible - so 4th-5th is like winning, just like it would have been for us when MON was here and we actually had a good team. Moyes deserves a chance at a bigger club, although Man Utd is the biggest step he could have made. Some other managers have taken a step up as well, like Brendan Rodgers who has been decent for Liverpool. Not a success, not a failure, pretty much the same as Lambert. He took Norwich to 12th, then took over a much bigger club and finished 15th. Hugely disappointing, but not unexpected given his age and inexperience. I guess Roberto Martinez will suffer at some point next season as well, although Everton will be just fine given their squad.

As for Moyes, my belief has been that every manager directly following Ferguson was going to become a scapegoat at some point. They really should have hired Meulensteen or someone like that to take the fall next season, then hire Moyes in January or even the next summer. However, there is definitely a change in expectation for most United-fans and the media now. If Moyes finish 3rd next season, that'll be alright. Everyone knows Man Utd seldom had the best players, but the best squad and the best unity. That was Ferguson's best trick, he made players like John O'Shea think he could tame Messi and Henry. If Man U sign Fabregas, well then they are the clear-cut favorites to take the trophy again. If not, Chelsea will grab it with two hands before April.

• Like 1

think people are over reacting big time. This is a team with winners like Vidic, Ferdinand, Giggs, Evra and even Carrick they arent going to put their foot off the pedal because Fergie is gone, these are true winners. then throw in talents of RVP, Kagawa, De Gea even Rooney if he stays and Phil Jones might have his breakout season at United.

I wouldnt be surprised if they win another title

United have always over-performed over the past 27 years, and it's been down to Fergie. They've won the Champions league with players like Wes Brown, Owen Hargreaves, Jesper Blomvqist and Andy Cole, players with no right to even be in the competition, let alone winning it. On paper, they're marginally better than Arsenal, and nowhere near the standards of Man City or Chelsea. Moyes is going to have to seriously over-achieve if United are to retain their league crown.

Agree with that. Although Hargreaves doesn't deserve to be in that group of players IMO.

United have always over-performed over the past 27 years, and it's been down to Fergie. They've won the Champions league with players like Wes Brown, Owen Hargreaves, Jesper Blomvqist and Andy Cole, players with no right to even be in the competition, let alone winning it. On paper, they're marginally better than Arsenal, and nowhere near the standards of Man City or Chelsea. Moyes is going to have to seriously over-achieve if United are to retain their league crown.

Andy Cole? Yes he missed many chances but his goal scoring record was very impressive. Second highest premier league scorer of all time.

As I have previously said in this thread though, I do agree that with the calibre of players they have had over the years they have overachieved. The only years they actually had the best players in the league were the 92-95,  99-2001 era and 2006-2009 era. Yet they have 13 league titles in the last 20 years.

Edited by Voinjama

If Roberto Mancini can win the league with Man City, then David Moyes can win the league with Man Utd. Easy as that. Mancini never was a really good manager, but when you are winning you are suddenly awesome. Moyes couldn't win with Everton, that was impossible - so 4th-5th is like winning, just like it would have been for us when MON was here and we actually had a good team. Moyes deserves a chance at a bigger club, although Man Utd is the biggest step he could have made. Some other managers have taken a step up as well, like Brendan Rodgers who has been decent for Liverpool. Not a success, not a failure, pretty much the same as Lambert. He took Norwich to 12th, then took over a much bigger club and finished 15th. Hugely disappointing, but not unexpected given his age and inexperience. I guess Roberto Martinez will suffer at some point next season as well, although Everton will be just fine given their squad.

As for Moyes, my belief has been that every manager directly following Ferguson was going to become a scapegoat at some point. They really should have hired Meulensteen or someone like that to take the fall next season, then hire Moyes in January or even the next summer. However, there is definitely a change in expectation for most United-fans and the media now. If Moyes finish 3rd next season, that'll be alright. Everyone knows Man Utd seldom had the best players, but the best squad and the best unity. That was Ferguson's best trick, he made players like John O'Shea think he could tame Messi and Henry. If Man U sign Fabregas, well then they are the clear-cut favorites to take the trophy again. If not, Chelsea will grab it with two hands before April.

Mancini not a really good manager? He won trophies will 3 different clubs in Italy. Fiorentina,Lazio and Inter. He won 3 back to back Serie A titles 4 coppa italias and 2 super cups before he came to england. He won the charity shield,the FA cup and the Premier League in just 3 seasons.

I am failing to see how he is not a really good manager when he has had success and won silverware at every team he has managed?

Mancini is not a great manager. His Inter team won as MIlan and Juventus were depleted due to Calciopoli and his tactic was pass to Zlatan. dont think they even won a knockout champions league game under him.

Their performance in 08 vs Liverpool was probably the worst ever in Europe by an Italian "champions"

A team like manure , world wide brand etc etc, should really have a world class manager in charge. Would anyone really describe moyes as world class?

I wouldn't swap Lambert for Moyes (this proposition was put to me by a Man Utd fan to emphasise his point). I can only imagine what Man Utd fans are thinking now. I believe it's beginning to dawn on the previously-more-optimistic ones who were in favour of his appointment that they might have been wrong. He has been dreadful in pre-season so far :clap:

That's a tough one.

Obviously I have an affinity with Lambert now, he's one if our own. You can see it in his eyes, hear it in his tone. We're in his heart and dare I say it he's in ours despite the rocky start.

But I would have a very difficult time arguing he's a better manager than Moyes. I could argue that he will be, but then I'm predicting the future and that's hardly a guaranteed thing. He's certainly more entertaining on the pitch, that's for sure.

Is Lambert better for Villa right now? Probably. Is Moyes better for United? Almost certainly. Though I don't think he's quite good enough.

I will say this, I'm glad Fregie retired now rather than in 12 months so my theory about Lamberts potential isn't tested.

Agree with that. Although Hargreaves doesn't deserve to be in that group of players IMO.

Or Andy Cole.

• Like 1

Â