BOF

Manchester United

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Should've sacked Mourinho in August.

I thought he was doing a great job personally.

I still don't know why they sacked Moyes either. So soon, so soon.

:D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sacking timing of the sacking was probably deliberate and has worked out well.

Put Ole in charge for the start of the easiest run of games possible in that Prem.  Let him take the shackles off the team and get their confidence built up against the dross of the league.

No doubt Jose would have ambled to a few 1-0 and 1-1s against the same opposition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The timing was definitely deliberate. It seemed Mourinho lasted a month too long, but that was surely because they saw their fixture list. 

Still think Mourinho would've won those matches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does put United in a tricky situation. Do you go for a manager in Poch who's never won anything, never been expected to win anything, and never had the pressure you'd see at United, or do you stick with a guy that knows the club in and out, has a direct line to football's most decorated manager, knows pretty much everyone in football, and has won titles and his group in Europa leage with a team from a 24k inhabitant little fishing village?

It'll be horrendous to make the decision if Solskjaer gets to say the SF in CL, gets fourth and hammers a few of the top sides. The fans seem to want Ole on the fact that he knows the club (ie Pep and Zidane), and so will not try to change the club into something it isn't. I'm not sure Poch would be able to resist trying to change United.

I'm also not sure how compatible Poch's boring style is to United, yes Tottenham score goals but it's generally pretty mundane football. Ole's got the team playing like a true SAF side.

Edited by magnkarl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

It does put United in a tricky situation. Do you go for a manager in Poch who's never won anything, never been expected to win anything, and never had the pressure you'd see at United, or do you stick with a guy that knows the club in and out, has a direct line to football's most decorated manager, knows pretty much everyone in football, and has won titles and his group in Europa leage with a team from a 24k inhabitant little fishing village?

It'll be horrendous to make the decision if Solskjaer gets to say the SF in CL, gets fourth and hammers a few of the top sides. The fans seem to want Ole on the fact that he knows the club (ie Pep and Zidane), and so will not try to change the club into something it isn't. I'm not sure Poch would be able to resist trying to change United.

I'm also not sure how compatible Poch's boring style is to United, yes Tottenham score goals but it's generally pretty mundane football. Ole's got the team playing like a true SAF side.

Some good points in this post, but do you honestly find Spurs boring to watch? 

I don't watch much PL football, but I don't mind watching them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, magnkarl said:

It does put United in a tricky situation. Do you go for a manager in Poch who's never won anything, never been expected to win anything, and never had the pressure you'd see at United, or do you stick with a guy that knows the club in and out, has a direct line to football's most decorated manager, knows pretty much everyone in football, and has won titles and his group in Europa leage with a team from a 24k inhabitant little fishing village?

It'll be horrendous to make the decision if Solskjaer gets to say the SF in CL, gets fourth and hammers a few of the top sides. The fans seem to want Ole on the fact that he knows the club (ie Pep and Zidane), and so will not try to change the club into something it isn't. I'm not sure Poch would be able to resist trying to change United.

I'm also not sure how compatible Poch's boring style is to United, yes Tottenham score goals but it's generally pretty mundane football. Ole's got the team playing like a true SAF side.

Really? I think Spurs play pretty good football, not sure I'd have ever considered them mundane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, magnkarl said:

It does put United in a tricky situation. Do you go for a manager in Poch who's never won anything, never been expected to win anything, and never had the pressure you'd see at United, or do you stick with a guy that knows the club in and out, has a direct line to football's most decorated manager, knows pretty much everyone in football, and has won titles and his group in Europa leage with a team from a 24k inhabitant little fishing village?

It'll be horrendous to make the decision if Solskjaer gets to say the SF in CL, gets fourth and hammers a few of the top sides. The fans seem to want Ole on the fact that he knows the club (ie Pep and Zidane), and so will not try to change the club into something it isn't. I'm not sure Poch would be able to resist trying to change United.

I'm also not sure how compatible Poch's boring style is to United, yes Tottenham score goals but it's generally pretty mundane football. Ole's got the team playing like a true SAF side.

It is tricky; at the moment.  Obviously we'll learn a lot more about what he has about him in the next few months.  He has done everything expected of him to date, and even though his critics will say he hasn't really beaten anyone yet, I doubt Jose would've done a clean sweep of the sides OGS has just beaten.  The worry I would have is actually that it seems the players want him to get the job fulltime.  And if the players want him, then the fans should not.  You don't want cosy players.  The manager can't be your buddy.  It's one thing coming in to a situation and putting out the flames of the previous boss, and riding a crest of positivity to the end of the season.  But the manager who has to fall out with people and build a squad of his own signings needs a steeliness that OGS has yet to show.  So that's where I'd be concerned.  But as I said at the top.  We'll find that out in the coming months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BOF said:

It is tricky; at the moment.  Obviously we'll learn a lot more about what he has about him in the next few months.  He has done everything expected of him to date, and even though his critics will say he hasn't really beaten anyone yet, I doubt Jose would've done a clean sweep of the sides OGS has just beaten.  The worry I would have is actually that it seems the players want him to get the job fulltime.  And if the players want him, then the fans should not.  You don't want cosy players.  The manager can't be your buddy.  It's one thing coming in to a situation and putting out the flames of the previous boss, and riding a crest of positivity to the end of the season.  But the manager who has to fall out with people and build a squad of his own signings needs a steeliness that OGS has yet to show.  So that's where I'd be concerned.  But as I said at the top.  We'll find that out in the coming months.

So he is to Utd what Tim Sherwood was to Villa initial success but ultimately found out?   I am hoping the 6-0 beatings are coming soon starting against Spurs!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

So he is to Utd what Tim Sherwood was to Villa initial success but ultimately found out?   I am hoping the 6-0 beatings are coming soon starting against Spurs!

I think we'll only know how close that analogy is in the fullness of time, but at the moment that's the effect he's benefitting from.  Whether he has enough to go to step 2 remains to be seen.  Similarly RDM at Chelsea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, S-Platt said:

So he is to Utd what Tim Sherwood was to Villa initial success but ultimately found out?   

I think there's a very good chance he's exactly that. I said it when he was appointed.

When a team has stopped playing for a manager, and that manager has an extremely disciplined, drilled, boring style then all a manager needs to do when he comes in is let the players off their leashes. Let them express themselves. That bounce gets great performances for a while. It's after that bounce that a manager's ability is tested. It's why Solksjaer as an interim probably wasn't a bad choice. Solksjaer as a permanent probably would be a bad choice.

It was exactly the same with Sherwood here. We'd had Lambert who had regressed into this ultra defensive, boring manager and the players were restricted by the awful style and had lost faith in the manager. Sherwood came in, put his arm round everyone, told them to go out and be creative and let them loose and we had some success. The following season when that bounce wore off he didn't have a **** clue how to address it.

Pardew has the same effect when he goes into clubs. Harnesses that bounce and then can't address the slide.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2019 at 17:46, BOF said:

It is tricky; at the moment.  Obviously we'll learn a lot more about what he has about him in the next few months.  He has done everything expected of him to date, and even though his critics will say he hasn't really beaten anyone yet, I doubt Jose would've done a clean sweep of the sides OGS has just beaten.  The worry I would have is actually that it seems the players want him to get the job fulltime.  And if the players want him, then the fans should not.  You don't want cosy players.  The manager can't be your buddy.  It's one thing coming in to a situation and putting out the flames of the previous boss, and riding a crest of positivity to the end of the season.  But the manager who has to fall out with people and build a squad of his own signings needs a steeliness that OGS has yet to show.  So that's where I'd be concerned.  But as I said at the top.  We'll find that out in the coming months.

I think people are always thinking that Ole is some sort of nice guy. According to a lot of the players he's played with over the years he's more the quiet type that can definitely communicate his feelings when he needs to. The fact that people seem to think that managers need to be angry idiots (LVG, Mourinho, Rafa) in interviews and to their squads is just a very black/white view of the world. 

The fact remains, OGS actually won something as a manager, Sherwood hasn't, Poch hasn't. Although Sherwood had a decent playing career it pales compared to OGS' playing career and club status.

My main issue with this whole debate is that Man Utd have tried "successful" managers, all these managers have failed because they don't understand that Utd is an institution, a way of life if you'd like. Trying to change that and not working with it is clearly not the way to work with Utd as a club. OGS knows the ins and outs of Utd better than any other candidate.

Apparently one of Giggs' favourite memories of Solskjaer is when he coached Lindgaard/Pogba on finishing in the youth squad and he went full on hair blower treatment at Lindgaard because he didn't shoot enough from open play. 

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OGS has undeniably done a good job so far. He has pulled back the feel good factor in it he dressing room and allowed the players to go and attack. He’s utilised his connections well by bringing in Alex Ferguson. Still shows what petulant shits the likes of Pogba and Lingard are as they simply stopped working for mourinho 

Will be interesting to see how OGS tactically compares in big games, and if he gets the job long term how he’ll handle transfers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

OGS has undeniably done a good job so far. He has pulled back the feel good factor in it he dressing room and allowed the players to go and attack. He’s utilised his connections well by bringing in Alex Ferguson. Still shows what petulant shits the likes of Pogba and Lingard are as they simply stopped working for mourinho 

Will be interesting to see how OGS tactically compares in big games, and if he gets the job long term how he’ll handle transfers

 

I think they will finish 5th.

Arsenal look lost, but Chelsea have players like Kante and Hazard which are carrying them.

When you have to play the likes of Jones and Young in big games you are already at a disadvantage. Utd have alot of deadwood in their squad similar to us,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I think they will finish 5th.

Arsenal look lost, but Chelsea have players like Kante and Hazard which are carrying them.

When you have to play the likes of Jones and Young in big games you are already at a disadvantage. Utd have alot of deadwood in their squad similar to us,

Young will possibly be wearing the captain’s armband. Mental really for a club with the resources of Man United.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestky think they will beat liverpool in a fee weeks to piss them off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know, Tomorrow is their first real test to see whether they are just flat track bullies. m

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites