Manchester United

BOF

On 23/12/2018 at 08:17, Xela said:

You go in and give your best every day.

You think it would be acceptable for a surgeon/doctor to botch an operation because he wasn't happy at how the NHS is being run?

That's different anyway, that's life or death, the pinnacle of responsibility.

Whether you choose to give 100% effort in kicking a ball into a net or not can and I'm sure does, revolve around multiple factors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

It just gives off a feeling of “well there’s no point in unpacking all my boxes as I don’t plan on seeing this out”. It just went hand in hand with the grumpy, my heart’s not in this kinda vibe he gave off for a lot of the time he was there.

I know most jobs in football are temporary, but as far as I’m aware few live in hotels on a permanent basis. And the vast majority don’t have either Jose’s or Man Utd’s resources, so I don’t think money really came into it.

Plus, as petty as it may sound, at the very least it was something else people could talk about and speculate on other than Man Utd’s poor performances/results. Sounds daft, but y’know, people actually did bring up the hotel thing from time to time.

I know but just seems daft, Other than having to employ a cleaner & sort out his own food how would his life have been any different if he had rented an apartment/house? Just don't see what the fuss is about withhim living in a hotel.

If the family is settled in London with kids doing exams it seems daft to move them when it is only a couple of hours away and only ever likely to be for 3-5 years.Could well have been the plan to move once his sone had finished school

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

I know but just seems daft, Other than having to employ a cleaner & sort out his own food how would his life have been any different if he had rented an apartment/house? Just don't see what the fuss is about withhim living in a hotel.

If the family is settled in London with kids doing exams it seems daft to move them when it is only a couple of hours away and only ever likely to be for 3-5 years.Could well have been the plan to move once his sone had finished school

Yeah I understand all that, but it’s ultimately just something else to laugh at. Jose’s become a - maybe joke is unfair, but certainly a parody of himself.

The hotel thing is almost emblematic of his track record of not lasting in a job these days. Again, that’s hardly unique to him, but because of his high profile, that sort of thing will be highlighted more with him.

I understand the family issues. I just can’t believe Man Utd wouldn’t have offered to rent a house or something that on the surface appeared more permanent. I mean they’ve just given him millions in compensation. And I struggle to believe they don’t have someone on the payroll they could have made go over to do the dusting and nod politely while he’s complaining about Pogba.

23 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

That's different anyway, that's life or death, the pinnacle of responsibility.

Whether you choose to give 100% effort in kicking a ball into a net or not can and I'm sure does, revolve around multiple factors.

The doctor analogy was a poor one I admit

Lets have another example - me. I have fallings out with my bosses / senior management but I don't let that effect my work as my customers rely on me (I work in banking so not a life or death job).

I guess it comes down to character. I strive to be my best every day at work - some footballers don't. They couldn't give a toss about the fans or the people who buy their merchandise and support them. Perhaps its simply down to the fact they are paid too much. Maybe if I earned £300k a week I might stop caring about my customers - after all, i'm a multi millionaire and set for life already so who cares if I do a shit job. 

The character and effort side is what separates the likes of Pogba/Sanchez from the likes of Ronaldo/Messi/Modric

• Thanks 1

Going back to the hotel thing, I never really got the joke either.  I'd presume Jose sleeps in London most evenings, he's got a very nice place somewhere off of Sloane Square and there's a train every 20 minutes to and from Manchester.  He can probably do door to door in three hours and during that time if he's got a first class ticket then he might as well be doing the clerical crap a manager has to deal with at 125mph through the English countryside as sat on his arse in an office at Old Trafford or Carrington.  You'd need some kind of base in Manchester so a swanky hotel equidistant from Piccadilly and Old Trafford seems ideal.  I doubt he spent much time sitting there on his own, he probably only ever slept there when he had an early start.  We've had players commute to Villa before, Alan Wright was coming in from Cheshire every day, I believe Peter Crouch was commuting from London to Stoke for years (despite his hometown of Macclesfield being just up the road). 

• Like 1

They’re putting teams to the sword at the moment so credit where it’s due.

I’m gonna wait until they play someone who will finish in the top half to get a better gauge on how well they’re doing.

Obviously an improvement though.

15 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Gotta ask questions of the previous dinosaur.

Do we now just label anyone not a success a dinosaur, as though anyone who is able to command a level of success is somehow in some closed circle of people who know all the latest innovations etc?!

I'm not sticking up for Mourinho, the guy is a grade A knob but seriously bored of seeing 'dinosaur' now.........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Do we now just label anyone not a success a dinosaur, as though anyone who is able to command a level of success is somehow in some closed circle of people who know all the latest innovations etc?!

I'm not sticking up for Mourinho, the guy is a grade A knob but seriously bored of seeing 'dinosaur' now.........

It was 'charlatan' a few months ago.  I find 'dinosaur' marginally less annoying.

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I really hate it when managers are called dinosaurs.

I remember Roy Hodgson and Neil Warnock getting that label a lot, not so much recently.

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I really hate it when managers are called dinosaurs.

I remember Roy Hodgson and Neil Warnock getting that label a lot, not so much recently.

I know someone who call pretty much every English manager a dinosaur, anyone who isn't remotely all out attack too. 

Though he's a fan of the ridiculously overrated flavour of the month types, like AVB and Marco Silva. And he still rates Barry Bannan. 

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

In fairness to Solskjaer, he is only doing what United should have been doing all season. 

Tbh i love his football style. Obviously didn't work at Cardiff as they didn't have the players for that system, but with better players you see it works and it's beautiful to watch.

39 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Tbh i love his football style. Obviously didn't work at Cardiff as they didn't have the players for that system, but with better players you see it works and it's beautiful to watch.

As much as anything I think he has just got the players enjoying the game again, it's not a great United team by any stretch but there's enough talent to put aside the weaker teams more comfortably than they ever showed under Mourinho.  Solskjaer is in a no-lose situation which helps too.

• Like 2

Â