Manchester United

BOF

7 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

At least the upturn in fortunes I feared when Jose was sacked has now gone.

So you don't feel that OGS will emulate what RDM did at Chelsea in replacing a Portuguese manager mid season and go on and win the CL?

Yeah, me neither.

• Haha 1

Were the Manchester United board seen licking windows recently?

Who in there right mind thinks.

"We need to sack this multi league and European title winning manager, we need to replace him with a leader, a strong character, someone not afraid to make the big decisions, a man who can turn it all around . . . . A man who can get us relegated, we need Ole Gunnar Solskjaer". 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Were the Manchester United board seen licking windows recently?

Who in there right mind thinks.

"We need to sack this multi league and European title winning manager, we need to replace him with a leader, a strong character, someone not afraid to make the big decisions, a man who can turn it all around . . . . A man who can get us relegated, we need Ole Gunnar Solskjaer". 

well he did have a 1.04 PPG average at Cardiff over 30 games...

Makes sense to me, what they need is to recreate their identity over the remainder of this season, no better way to do that than bring in a club legend. 

Zidane had zero managerial experience (realistically, had managed their B team but thats nothing more than managing reserves/U23's) before being successful at Madrid. 

As with our appointment of Smith, its about bringing pride back into shirt and club, OGS stands as good a chance as any of achieving this (plus, it gets the fans back on side). 

They've gone with the 'tried and tested' route, all of Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho were seen as being successful (in their own rights) at the times of their appointments and ultimately failed. Much the same as us and Bruce. 

It's panned out well for us thus far and I expect to see the same at United, I'm confident they will be better just for Mourinho not being there. 

Not saying he be a success but United players be a lot happier with OGS in charge than Mourinho. Similar to Real with Zidane instead of Rafa

Will probably play with more freedom players like Martial and dare I say it Pogba

Papers are claiming that Mino Raiola played a rather large part in getting Mourinho sacked by among other things helping to create a rift with Pogba by coming up with fake transfer rumors.

Since agents are the most powerful people in football now it's bound to be at least partly true.

52 minutes ago, Cjay said:

He's just a caretaker, they will get Pocchetino in the summer.

Jose Mourinho at Man Utd: 

- Trophies won: 2 

- Win percentage: 58.3% 

Mauricio Pochettino at Spurs: 

- Trophies won: 0 

- Win percentage: 56.4% 

Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool: 

- Win percentage: 54.7%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Not saying he be a success but United players be a lot happier with OGS in charge than Mourinho. Similar to Real with Zidane instead of Rafa

Will probably play with more freedom players like Martial and dare I say it Pogba

This is what i was getting at above.

He was a shit manager at Cardiff.

But if bringing him in gets the players happy and gives them more freedom then the football and results will improve almost by accident.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Jose Mourinho at Man Utd: 

- Trophies won: 2 

- Win percentage: 58.3% 

Mauricio Pochettino at Spurs: 

- Win percentage: 56.4% 

Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool: 

- Win percentage: 54.7%

Just shows that looking at that kind of thing without context is nonsense.

Steve Bruce's win % at Villa is excellent, for example.

OGS+Phelan with Fergie backing it from behind the scenes might be just what they need.

Solskjaer managed Pogba, Lindgaard and a lot of the other young talent at UTD when he was there. I think people are underestimating the fact that all this man needs to do is to create a bit of positivity and identity and this squad will do well on its own. What players like Pogba et. all. don't like is the type of management style that Van Ghaal and Mourinho are famed for - total micro-management. 

I wouldn't base my judgement of Solskjaer on his Cardiff stint anyhow, he's not the first manager who risks it by getting to a big league with a team that's awful. Cardiff was never going to stay up that season anyway. Phelan will steady the ship and Solskjaer will add some identity back into a squad that's had the life sucked out of it by Mourinho's permanent PMS.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I know he's retired but why didn't just Fergie return only for the end of the season?

I think there are a plethora (yep) of reasons why that wouldn't be a good idea... but mainly he's still recovering from a brain haemorrhage and subsequent surgery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â