Manchester United

BOF

14 hours ago, PaulC said:

Do you think he is at the level of a Suarez or Aguero? I tend to agree with you. He's great but not world class. 

He gets goals and his work rate is brilliant but I think he is protected in Atletico that he is the best attacker they have. He is a very good player but not on the level of world class for me. Would he get in Real, Barca, Bayern or even Chelsea attack?

• 1 month later...

So another Mino Raiola player moving to Man U.

That's 4 with Lukaku following Pogba, Zlatan and Mkhitaryan.

Good working relationship and all that, but I'm always a bit cautious about agents and their dealings.

Either way he's pocketed something like £50m from Man U for his troubles.

Good time to be an agent this.

They pretty much run football now.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently close to a £40m deal for Matic.

So thats:

£40m for Matic.

£75m for Lukaku

£31m for Victor Lindelof.

You really don't get much for £146m these days do you?

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Apparently close to a £40m deal for Matic.

So thats:

£40m for Matic.

£75m for Lukaku

£31m for Victor Lindelof.

You really don't get much for £146m these days do you?

Oh I don't know.  It would get you an entire outfield of Ross McCormack's

Then a goalie on loan and you're set.

15 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Matic is an average player.

It's all about opinions :)  He's arguably the 2nd best defensive midfielder in the Premier League after Kante.  Either way, he's far far from average IMO.

• Like 1

Think he's on the decline a bit now, surprised he didn't go to Italy as that would be a perfect league for him.

Mourinho signs him for 40m after doing this in one of his last games as Chelsea manager:

Two years ago whilst manager of Chelsea, Jose Mourinho was scathing in his opinion of Matic.

After winning the Premier League title in 2015, the Blues suffered a dramatic fall from grace losing five league games before October.

Mourinho was not shy in making clear his frustration with his team and in a game against Southampton he brought on Matic as a first-half substitute for Ramires.

But just 27 minutes into the second half, with Chelsea 3-1 down, Mourinho hauled off the Serbian and the pair didn't acknowledge each other on the touchline.

And in his post-match press conference, Mourinho insisted he wasn't trying to “humiliate” Matic but said: "Some of [the players] are in a difficult moment, Matic is one of them.

"He is not playing well. He is not the sharpest. He is not making good decisions with the ball."

Matic was then dropped for the games against Maccabi Tel Aviv, Porto, Aston Villa and Liverpool as Mourinho attempted to correct his team's problems.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/834865/Nemanja-Matic-Manchester-United-Jose-Mourinho-Chelsea-midfielder-transfer-rumours

---------------------De Gea----------------------

--Valencia--Bailly-Lindelof?---Rojo--

-----------------Herrera----Matic------------

-Mkhitaryan-----Pogba---Martial------

------------------------Lukaku--------------------

Add Smalling, Blind, Shaw, Darmian, Jones, Lingard, Fellaini, Carrick, Young, Mata, and Rashford and wow they have an excellent squad. Actually they can make a whole 2nd team.

------------------------Romero---------------------

--Darmian--Smalling---Blind---Shaw--

-----------------Carrick----Fellaini------------

----Lingard----------Mata--------Young----

------------------------Rashford--------------------

I bet Fergie could have won the prem with this 2nd team

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

------------------------Romero---------------------

--Darmian--Smalling---Blind---Shaw--

-----------------Carrick----Fellaini------------

----Lingard----------Mata--------Young----

------------------------Rashford--------------------

I bet Fergie could have won the prem with this 2nd team

I bet he couldn't ;)

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They won 10/11 with Anderson and Cleverley as regulars in midfield.

06/07 O'Shea was a regular.

In 10/11 Anderson started 14 games (and was a decent player before becoming obese!). Cleverley didn't play a single minute as he was on loan at Wigan.

In 06/07 O'Shea started 16 games, but the presence of Van der Sar, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Ronaldo and Rooney were more of a factor in their success imo ;)

Anyhow, I think United's transfer dealings this summer have been really underwhelming. Add Perisic to those mentioned above and you're closing in on the £200m mark and there isn't a huge improvement in personnel. Easy to underestimate the loss of Zlatan also. Top 4 and no more next season imo.

Ah I might mean the next season when Cleverley came back and featured a lot more, 11-12 or 12-13. Sure there was a season where he played 30 odd games for them. Johnny Evans aswell was a regular at the back.

Fergie was a master at getting mediocre players to perform well above themselves when wearing the Man. United shirt.

• Like 2

Fergie knew which players were good at what, and what they couldn't do. He was very strict with how he made players play which made them seem a lot better. Fergie never let Cleverly try to do something Fergie knew he wasn't going to be successful at. Hard to put this is words, but Fergie limited his own players which actually helped them. He let his better players do the brunt work, and the limited players had one job and had to only do that job all match. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

. Anyhow, I think United's transfer dealings this summer have been really underwhelming. Add Perisic to those mentioned above and you're closing in on the £200m mark and there isn't a huge improvement in personnel. Easy to underestimate the loss of Zlatan also. Top 4 and no more next season imo.

i think matic whilst nowhere near £40m as an individual could potentially change their line up in a way which makes them a much better team, pushes pogba and ander further up the pitch, i think pogba will come good this season

• Like 1

Â