Manchester United

BOF

They've been garbage all season, purple patch around Christmas based on solely Fernandes banging in a billion penalties and wonder goals.

Terrible team, terrible manager.

No actually, good team, good squad, terribly managed. Soak up pressure, run really fast on the counter. The end.

Martin O'Neill wants his tactics back.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

They've been garbage all season, purple patch around Christmas based on solely Fernandes banging in a billion penalties and wonder goals.

No actually, good team, good squad, terribly managed. Soak up pressure, run really fast on the counter. The end.

Their fans got too caught up in the results without looking behind the results.

And the true story tells you they've been heavily relying on individual brilliance and referee decisions to get those results. Even against us. That pen was dodgy as hell.

It was never sustainable.

Now Leicester are level on points with them. Chelsea will only be 4 points behind if they win their game in hand.

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

You know this post makes no sense at all. All it says is that you don’t like OGS but can’t really justify it.

”run really fast” :lol: 

Just now, Zatman said:

Without looking at the table I thought United dropped back to6th or something but no are still 2nd. Ole bashing continues for drawing against a team that has drawn with City, Liverpool and Chelsea also

People set their stall out too early on the “PE teacher” and now they are popping veins that he’s doing alright.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

People set their stall out too early on the “PE teacher” and now they are popping veins that he’s doing alright.

I dont think he is a brilliant manager but the criticism is a joke especially when one of them loves Bielsa and Hassenhuttl who United put 15 past in 2 games

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

You know this post makes no sense at all. All it says is that you don’t like OGS but can’t really justify it.

”run really fast” :lol: 

Well to be Champions you need to dominate. Dominate the ball. All I see from United is soaking up pressure and then get spring on the break with their electrifying pace out wide. That is it.

Again. United were top and not once was it even entertained they would go for the title or go all the way. What other United manager in the past 5 years would have got away with that.

Ole gets free reign to not.win stuff. Man United have exceptional level ability. Ole has done a good job. Cleared a lot of trash. Improved players. Cut the wage budget. The style and manner of football is not going to get them back to challening. Unless it is a 2 week title challenge.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Well to be Champions you need to dominate. Dominate the ball. All I see from United is soaking up pressure and then get spring on the break with their electrifying pace out wide. That is it.

Like the way Leicester won the league?

If you have the players to do it then the manager has to work with what he has. I don’t agree that’s all they do though btw.

12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Again. United were top and not once was it even entertained they would go for the title or go all the way. What other United manager in the past 5 years would have got away with that.

What does this even mean? Top but didn’t entertain going all the way? Did they voluntarily relinquish the top spot? They aren’t good enough to compete with Man City, not by a long way. Liverpool have fallen right back. I expect them to pull away from Leicester over time and finish 2nd of maybe third. That’s progress. They’ll, invest and go again next year and probably get closer to City.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Like the way Leicester won the league?

If you have the players to do it then the manager has to work with what he has. I don’t agree that’s all they do though btw.

Was a horrendous season tbf. I think Spurs finished 2nd that year. And all the top teams were completely off it.

Think they finished on 81 points or something. Very low points tally for a champion.

With top quality coaches we have in the league now with actual refined systems I don't believe you can win the league being a counter attacking team. I really don't think you can.

35 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Was a horrendous season tbf. I think Spurs finished 2nd that year. And all the top teams were completely off it.

Think they finished on 81 points or something. Very low points tally for a champion.

With top quality coaches we have in the league now with actual refined systems I don't believe you can win the league being a counter attacking team. I really don't think you can.

Think it was 78 points and Arsenal finished 2nd. They pipped spurs on the last or second to last week. Ironically it lead to more Wenger out pressure as their fans thought as all the top teams were crap arsenal should have capitalised 

If you spend the kind of money Manure have you expect to be able to actually have a sustained title push not a token VAR assisted 2 week one.

Comparing to Leicester who do not have that budget and came up from the championship a couple of years before their title is not a good comparison.  They played to their strengths.  You would expect over a period of time and the money available for a team like Utd to build something better than to counter attack.

I just had a look at the possession stats for United’s last few matches as I don’t personally see them as a counter attacking only side.

WBA - 73%
West Ham -  62%
Everton - 62%
Southampton - 75%
Arsenal - 57%
Sheffield United - 76%
Liverpool - 42%
Fulham - 62%

Liverpool - 34%
Burnley - 63%
Watford - 66%

Average over last 11 games = 61% possession. That’s not a team who can only counter attack.

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

I just had a look at the possession stats for United’s last few matches as I don’t personally see them as a counter attacking only side.

WBA - 73%
West Ham -  62%
Everton - 62%
Southampton - 75%
Arsenal - 57%
Sheffield United - 76%
Liverpool - 42%
Fulham - 62%

Liverpool - 34%
Burnley - 63%
Watford - 66%

Average over last 11 games = 61% possession. That’s not a team who can only counter attack.

And look how worse they do in games where they have a lot of the ball. Struggle to create chances.

They are by every remark a counter attacking team. When teams come at them and push players forward that's when Man Utd become dangerous.

Bruno  Fernandes has helped this issue against the low block to an extent but they still struggle against it from what i've seen.

And them having a lot of the ball isn't as much them being a "possession" oriented team but more to do with teams letting them have the ball because teams have figured out their weakness.

Edited by villalad21

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont think he is a brilliant manager but the criticism is a joke especially when one of them loves Bielsa and Hassenhuttl who United put 15 past in 2 games

I think that is an odd view. Is it not possible to have a view on a manager in isolation rather than in comparison to others? 

For me Hassenhuttl has done a very good good with very little in the way or resources. While OGS has done an okay job with vast resources.

I struggle with a logic that says because you are critical of OGS you shouldn’t be full of admiration for the job Hassenhuttl has done.

23 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think that is an odd view. Is it not possible to have a view on a manager in isolation rather than in comparison to others? 

For me Hassenhuttl has done a very good good with very little in the way or resources. While OGS has done an okay job with vast resources.

I struggle with a logic that says because you are critical of OGS you shouldn’t be full of admiration for the job Hassenhuttl has done.

no its one specific poster im referring too who champions the work of these managers over own manager regularly yet also has a dig at Ole every week, actually that last part doesnt dampen the suspicions he is a Leeds fan ;) 

50 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

And look how worse they do in games where they have a lot of the ball. Struggle to create chances.

They are by every remark a counter attacking team.

Counter attacking sides allow the opposition to have larger amounts of the possession and then break with pace to score. That’s the opposite of how United typically play (or are forced to play).

Teams tend to sit deep in numbers and allow United to have the ball and ask them to break down the stacked defence.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

It's frustrating isn't it.....ah well there's always the Spurs thread and Mourinho leading them to 9th and out of a major cup competition to amuse ourselves in.😉

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's frustrating isn't it.....ah well there's always the Spurs thread and Mourinho leading them to 9th and out of a major cup competition to amuse ourselves in.😉

Was it yourself who said he’s been diabolical for half a decade but has still won more trophies than half the teams in the league in their entire history?

Â