villarule123

22 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Imbula did f all as has Berahino. Stoke have spent 50m on those and also Kevin Wimmer for 18m which was a bizarre one as they had plenty of CBs and Wimmer was rubbish at Spurs.

Stoke just lack identity now and have gone stale at premier league level. The fans are nowhere near as loud as when they first came up as they're bored watching it. As horrible as Pulis teams were to watch they had identity, this Stoke team dosen't. Peter Crouch is still their best striker which says lots.

Think they've been on a downward spiral for a couple of years but always managed to pull enough results out of the bag against other bottom 6 teams, not sure they're capable of that this season.

Was a bad summer for them transferwise. Whelan, Walters and Bardsley were characters that identified with the Stoke way

Think Shawcross is the last of that type at the club

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2017 at 12:11, VillaChris said:

Don't understand why they play 3-5-2 either. 

It's the same reason most team play this formation, it's in fashion. Conte plays this formation and people saw that it works for him so they copy it to try to find magic solution that's going to solve their probelms, e.g. Stoke, Arsenal. If 3-5-2 was the best formation for Stoke/Arsenal Wenger/Hughes would have be playing it for years and buying players to suit that formation. Instead they just follow the trends, they'll be wearing skinny jeans and getting peaky blinders haircuts next. 

15 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Decent manager tbh - they'd do well to have him.

Decent how? Left us in the shit and did the same at sunderland.

He is a dinosaur and his style i f football is the past.  Also failed with ROI.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it's very harsh to call MON's ROI tenure a failure.

Maybe he hasn't done as well as many would have hoped. But failed?

He qualified for the Euros and reached the knockout stages. He possibly should have qualified for the World Cup,  but still got ROI to the playoffs for it. Considering they haven't qualified since 2002 it's not a huge failure.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't think he left us in the shit as much as Lerner did tbh.  We spent way too much (not sure a manager decides how much to spend) but still had a decent squad.  Spending just got cut, he left, we went downhill.

Hardly failed with Republic of Ireland either - he did pretty well there with a very limited squad.

He's a great motivator and would benefit struggling clubs in the short term.  I'd probably take O'Neill over Bruce right now tbh. 

57 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don't think he left us in the shit as much as Lerner did tbh.  We spent way too much (not sure a manager decides how much to spend) but still had a decent squad.  Spending just got cut, he left, we went downhill.

Hardly failed with Republic of Ireland either - he did pretty well there with a very limited squad.

He's a great motivator and would benefit struggling clubs in the short term.  I'd probably take O'Neill over Bruce right now tbh. 

This argument has been done countless times. I will say what i said back l then no matter how bad your job is quitting few days before season starts is unforgivable and cowardly. 

MON was his own worst enemy and the players celebrated when he left. Thats a fact. 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This argument has been done countless times. I will say what i said back l then no matter how bad your job is quitting few days before season starts is unforgivable and cowardly. 

MON was his own worst enemy and the players celebrated when he left. Thats a fact. 

Sure - still a decent manager, though. 

Â