villarule123

4 hours ago, jim said:
Paddy PowerVerified account @paddypower
FollowFollow @paddypower
More

When Paul Lambert was confirmed as new Stoke boss, we thought he may not have been first choice, but he could be the perfect man for the job. Then we thought about it some more, changed our minds, and decided to pay out on Stoke being relegated from the Premier League.

DTlhUWpXcAEhUqn.jpg

I bet the Coates Family have got all the media marketeers working through the night at Bet365 towers tonight looking for a witty response.

5 hours ago, Genie said:

Don’t you think a team with Stokes resources, and premier league status they could do better than Paul Lambert? I’d be a bit annoyed I were a Stoke fan.

Even take a punt on an unknown doing well in another league has got to be a better option?

Think it was just a case of them getting knocked back by their first two choices and then worrying a bit.

Happened with Everton aswell. 

Surely in this day and age you only sack a manager if you have a cast iron guarentee your first choice wants to come?

6 hours ago, bobzy said:

Has Lambert actually had "several failures"?

With hindsight, most Villa fans think he did alright keeping us in the Premier League.  With Blackburn, they were basically mid-table in Championship.  He improved Wolves from where they were before he took over, too.

Obviously he didn't have huge amounts to spend here but he took over a team that finished 16th promising to entertain and improve and after two similar finishes he left us in 19th two and a bit years later.

Blackburn were massively in decline so he did o.k there given they went down the next season.

He kept Wolves up but bored their fans to death. No way they'd be anywhere near 1st if he'd stayed in charge. 

3 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I don't understand how Lambert got this job... I do feel for Lambert when he was with us because lerner absolutely f***ed him financially, and our team was pretty garbage for the most part, but since managing our club, Lambert has done nothing to warrant another appointment.

Good news for Lambert is this Stoke team has enough quality to stay up, and after this United game, he has 3 matches that he can win.

Don't see it.

Stoke Do have winnable games at home left (next three are Watford, Huddersfield and Brighton) but he's from the Mon school of failing to win home games as his teams can't break down packed defences so can see two of those being draws. After that they have Man. City and Spurs....

Away from home they have very tough fixtures left: Bournemouth, Arsenal, Leicester, Liverpool, West Ham, Southampton and Swansea on last day. Ironcially they'll probably get a result at Anfield as Lambert teams always play amazing there for some reason, he won there with Wolves last season. Can see them losing four of those fixtures anyway.

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

Lamberts eye for detail...

Good - Benteke, Vlaar, Lowton, Okore??? Agree

Bad - Bennett, Bacuna, Westwood???, El Ahmadi, Sanchez Only Bennett was shit. The rest did the job.

Ugly - Bowery, Cole, Senderos???, Kozak, Richardson, Sylla, Luna, Helenius, Tonev, Cissokho.Bowery, Cole, Senderos, Kozak, Richardson, Sylla, Luna, Helenius,all butall but Kozakall  a

Not a bad transfer record, transfer fees were low, and contracts short. Pretty sure we made money from those players. 

12 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

What has Lamberk done to deserve another PL job

They should have just kept Hughes i don't get it

I think it was clear things were stale at Stoke so the new manager freshening things up was needed.

Lets face it every premier league side are world famous now, plus a huge pile of money in the bank and the best they could come up with was Lambert? 

The premier league has got fat and lazy no scouting for players and no scouting for managers either.

18 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

What has Lamberk done to deserve another PL job

He said yes when they asked him if he wanted it. After being turned down three times Stoke needed someone they knew would take it. 

I think it looks like a crap appointment. That said, you never know, sometimes the ones who look the worst end up being better than you expect. We were all laughing at David Moyes about two months ago. 

I do think there's a bit of revisionism happened regarding his last two appointments. He wasn't brilliant at Blackburn or Wolves, but I would dispute that he 'failed' at either. 

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I think it looks like a crap appointment. That said, you never know, sometimes the ones who look the worst end up being better than you expect. We were all laughing at David Moyes about two months ago. 

I wasn’t B)

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

Lamberts eye for detail...

Good - Benteke, Vlaar, Lowton, Okore??? 

Bad - Bennett, Bacuna, Westwood???, El Ahmadi, Sanchez 

Ugly - Bowery, Cole, Senderos???, Kozak, Richardson, Sylla, Luna, Helenius, Tonev, Cissokho.Bowery, Cole, Senderos, Kozak, Richardson, Sylla, Luna, Helenius,

I remember Senderos looking really solid alongside Vlaar but he got injured on international duty (sound familiar?) and that was that.

Pretty much agree with everything else.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RotaxMax125 said:

So they want a manager who's ego is more important than the good of the club? How long before he falls out with and benches their best players like he did with us. Bent (wasted), Given (wasted). 

Yep. He couldn't deal with players who were accomplished - He pushed James Collins out of Villa who has been a Premier League player ever since. He needed young 'triers' who he could control i.e. Westwood, Weimann - that's my impression.

3 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I don't understand how Lambert got this job... I do feel for Lambert when he was with us because lerner absolutely f***ed him financially, and our team was pretty garbage for the most part, but since managing our club, Lambert has done nothing to warrant another appointment.

Good news for Lambert is this Stoke team has enough quality to stay up, and after this United game, he has 3 matches that he can win.

I don't feel for him and his bank balance disagrees with the bit in bold.

I dislike him because he kept draining the club of money for himself when things were horribly wrong behind the scenes. He 'protected' Lerner for his own personal gain while Aston Villa was dying a slow death. F*ck him.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I do think there's a bit of revisionism happened regarding his last two appointments. He wasn't brilliant at Blackburn or Wolves, but I would dispute that he 'failed' at either. 

He did a good job at Norwich and he made good signings for us considering what he had to work with. I think he he lost his way a bit with styles of play but think he could do decent at Stoke

Â