villarule123

35 minutes ago, Xela said:

Were they "excellent" today?

Not quite

"I have mixed feelings after that. We stated great and got a good goal.

"If we score the second with Mame Biram Diouf's chance, it's hard for Burnley to come back. But it was never enough. We had some big moments.

"One thing you ask is to give it everything you've got. Since I've been here they have - there's been misfortune. You never know, we have to go to Anfield and get a point. There are still a lot of twists and turns here.

One thing I don't get from that.....they're going to Anfield to play for a point? What happens if Swansea and Palace win next week? It's all over if Stoke draw.

Yes he does have an amazing record at Anfield. 1-1 in Norwich season, unbeaten in his three visits there with us and even won there with Wolves last season.

Liverpool of course won't put anywhere near their full team out.

Maybe it was just a slip of the tongue but Stoke are knackered if they don't win, Swansea do and Huddersfield and West Ham draw.

1 win in 12 league games for Lambert.

Hughes was sacked with  3 wins in 13 games.

I know their performances haven't been too bad but that's still a terrible record and they've had plenty of games v bottom half teams where Lambert has been too negative in his approach e.g. going to Southampton and playing for a 0-0.

Edit: Looks like Coates wants to keep him on so think that is a massive error as they'll take the negativity into next season rather than fresh start under a new manager.

Edited by VillaChris

To be fair to Lambert, he does know how to get point(s) at Anfield

Still a massive ask to avoid relegation though especially with their goal difference

1 hour ago, Xela said:

To be fair to Lambert, he does know how to get point(s) at Anfield

Still a massive ask to avoid relegation though especially with their goal difference

I said they should have signed Weimann in January. He'd have scored the winner for them today.

• Haha 1

Stoke's problem is that they have never had a reliable goal scorer in the years gone by. Isnt Jonathan Walters their all time leading PL scorer? Sums it up really.

Players like Arni and Shaqiri and before that their defensive stability have kept them over the line, most of these years they have overachieved for me.

I think they could beat Palace, because when they play as good defensively vs an inform Palace offense (inform bc of the 5-0 win today), Palace might struggle to break them down and they'll get 2 or 3 chances more then today bc Palace arent as good defensively normally.

But they have to put them away. Diouf and Crouch arent the most clinical strikers thats the problem.

If they stay up fair play do Lambert.

Edited by Denis242

Even if they get the six points (which is unlikely as think Palace will get a draw) they also need to hope Huddersfield lose their last three games.

On top of that another problem is that Swansea-Southampton are playing each other. Very unlikely that will be a draw. Swansea win and Stoke can't finish above them unless there's a 10 goal swing in GD. Southampton would need just a point from other two games if they win that game.

6 hours ago, Denis242 said:

Stoke's problem is that they have never had a reliable goal scorer in the years gone by. Isnt Jonathan Walters their all time leading PL scorer? Sums it up really.

Players like Arni and Shaqiri and before that their defensive stability have kept them over the line, most of these years they have overachieved for me.

I think they could beat Palace, because when they play as good defensively vs an inform Palace offense (inform bc of the 5-0 win today), Palace might struggle to break them down and they'll get 2 or 3 chances more then today bc Palace arent as good defensively normally.

But they have to put them away. Diouf and Crouch arent the most clinical strikers thats the problem.

If they stay up fair play do Lambert.

Be a miracle if they stay up now, shit defence and no attack wont get you far

Â