Match thread

roonst83

At the ground.

First was unlucky, not Guzans fault. It deflected off Clark and over Guzan. The deflection wrong footed him.

2nd was Clark being utterly shit per usual. Really shit performance from him.

Just watching the highlights now. Deflection or no deflection that goal was definitely a mistake by Guzan , reacted slowly and didn't recover at all.

At the ground.

First was unlucky, not Guzans fault. It deflected off Clark and over Guzan. The deflection wrong footed him.

2nd was Clark being utterly shit per usual. Really shit performance from him.

Just watching the highlights now. Deflection or no deflection that goal was definitely a mistake by Guzan , reacted slowly and didn't recover at all.

Call that highlights? 2.21mins where is the game that people paid to watch.

Willing to give Guzan the benefit of the doubt over the first, it was a significant deflection.   Loved the free kick though. :) 

I really think Lambert should be looking to get his best back 4 to play together. Mixing the defence all the time isn't helping them Gel - I know Okore is injured - but I would looking at giving my best defenders time together.

Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Baker(Okore when fit), Luna - should be starting defense - the others can push for a place in it.

• Like 1

Yeah, seemed to be the same people doing it. That fat word removed kept knocking his missus into it and pushing it over so that young steward lad had to keep picking it up.

Another great pre-season performance then. Let's hope this doesn't follow us into the real thing.

wouldnt worry too much, basically played without any of our first choice attack

Someone above mentioned 2.21 minutes of highlights. Not sure what service that was. I have just watched about 14 minutes on AVFC.co.uk. Still hard to get much of an impression if the game but I feel I've picked up where I left things at the end of last season. Two excellent goals that I enjoyed watching very much but two conceded from abysmal and naive defending sour the mood a bit. Guzan made a bad mistake for the first goal but the real problem developed earlier on down - you've guessed it - our left side.

Looking Wycombe's goals, for the first, the problem starts here

Wycombe1a_zpseeaa6198.jpg

The winger draws in three players seeking to stop him, leaving a free man behind them

Wycombe1b_zpsa03435ee.jpg

So he slots it through to the free man leaving the three players on the left stranded. Note there are 10 Villa players defending in this shot against 7 from Wycombe.

Wycombe1c_zps8ecd9846.jpg

And he surges towards the wing, creating a 3 on 2 balance for Wycombe, 3 on 3 at best. True Guzan should still have stopped it but with that many Villa players around, the cross/shot should never have come in.

Wycombe will be pleased with their second goal - looked like something they had worked out on the training ground.

Wycombe2a_zps5a5e7179.jpg

It all starts fairly normally - 4 Villa defenders on the goal line and a good number in front of the Wycombe players in the centre. But note that two of them are starting to run to their left while two are setting off towards their right.

Wycombe2b_zpsb40c9bee.jpg

Now the guy who was on our right post has run across the face of the goal to meet a short cross, getting in front of his marker and flipping the ball further to his right - where two of their players are surging forward. At least four of our defenders are not in a position to do any defending.

Wycombe2c_zps8eb6870c.jpg

And the inevitable happens - their scorer is strong enough to get into a scoring position.

This and the talk on the OS of our "injury-hit squad" left me feeling just a bit gloomy.

Was at the game yesterday and have to say it was very disappointing how easy the second goal was for them to score, it really seemed like deja ve from some of last season's dark days.

Without blaming any of the players I felt when Baker came on in the second half he seemed up to speed and dealt with most of the threats well. ( it was at the other end though and I could be mistaken). 

Big season for concrete Ron he's big and strong but not as mobile as some on the pitch. Fairly composed on the ball - the Wycombe forwards were quite intense pushing for tackles and regaining possession etc.

For me i'd start with Luna, Vlaar, Baker and Lowton, I know Okora is injured but even when fit I think he'll need a steady introduction to the vigours of the premier league. We all know what could happen when an inexperienced defence faces the top premiership forwards.

I think Clark is still learning his trade a little and will hopefully prove to be a great all round defender in the future, really happy with competition for places and it looks like most of the players are bothered about getting a crack at the first team. 

UTV

Someone above mentioned 2.21 minutes of highlights. Not sure what service that was. I have just watched about 14 minutes on AVFC.co.uk. Still hard to get much of an impression if the game but I feel I've picked up where I left things at the end of last season. Two excellent goals that I enjoyed watching very much but two conceded from abysmal and naive defending sour the mood a bit. Guzan made a bad mistake for the first goal but the real problem developed earlier on down - you've guessed it - our left side.

Looking Wycombe's goals, for the first, the problem starts here

Wycombe1a_zpseeaa6198.jpg

The winger draws in three players seeking to stop him, leaving a free man behind them

Wycombe1b_zpsa03435ee.jpg

So he slots it through to the free man leaving the three players on the left stranded. Note there are 10 Villa players defending in this shot against 7 from Wycombe.

Wycombe1c_zps8ecd9846.jpg

And he surges towards the wing, creating a 3 on 2 balance for Wycombe, 3 on 3 at best. True Guzan should still have stopped it but with that many Villa players around, the cross/shot should never have come in.

Wycombe will be pleased with their second goal - looked like something they had worked out on the training ground.

Wycombe2a_zps5a5e7179.jpg

It all starts fairly normally - 4 Villa defenders on the goal line and a good number in front of the Wycombe players in the centre. But note that two of them are starting to run to their left while two are setting off towards their right.

Wycombe2b_zpsb40c9bee.jpg

Now the guy who was on our right post has run across the face of the goal to meet a short cross, getting in front of his marker and flipping the ball further to his right - where two of their players are surging forward. At least four of our defenders are not in a position to do any defending.

Wycombe2c_zps8eb6870c.jpg

And the inevitable happens - their scorer is strong enough to get into a scoring position.

This and the talk on the OS of our "injury-hit squad" left me feeling just a bit gloomy.

It was me that posted the 2.21Mins of coverage last night at 7,50pm, as far as i know the extended highlights were only shown this morning.

Yeah, seemed to be the same people doing it. That fat word removed kept knocking his missus into it and pushing it over so that young steward lad had to keep picking it up.

Thank god - thought it was just me. At one point his missus, aka Daft Bird (on back of shirt) gave him a bear hug and bit his ear for about 10 seconds. Proper love/hate those two.

Had a great view of Westwood's goal. Very clever thinking but, in fairness, keeper's position was poor. Guy next to me even said it just before Westwood struck. Same view for Wycombe's first and I honestly don't think there was much Guzan could have done about it.

Very low key performance all-round. I thought Bacuna looked solid and Luna comfortable. Shame not to see Helenius, Okore or Tonev. Not sure what Lambert will have taken from the game - like he says, though, it's pretty much about fitness at the moment.

Â