VillaGoMarching

38 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I would say just one dimensional. I always remember Martin Samuel's quote on the MON team in that it representedย  counterattacking chaos on toast.

We were set up to do far better away than at home. Those countless home draws when we were expected to have the possession cost us top 4.

MON had us set up well in a 4-4-2 traditional way (which was already going out of fashion) with good crossing and set pieces but I think weย  just lacked that bit of magic to make us a really great side.

I think it was sumed up in in January 2009 when we were in pole position to get 4th. Arsenal brought in Arshavin and we brought in Heskey.

I always remember was a Wigan game that season or the next with Bruce as the manager and we smashed them but couldnt create a proper chance. It will be similar for Spurs without Kane

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

I would say just one dimensional. I always remember Martin Samuel's quote on the MON team in that it representedย  counterattacking chaos on toast.

We were set up to do far better away than at home. Those countless home draws when we were expected to have the possession cost us top 4.

MON had us set up well in a 4-4-2 traditional way (which was already going out of fashion) with good crossing and set pieces but I think weย  just lacked that bit of magic to make us a really great side.

I think it was sumed up in in January 2009 when we were in pole position to get 4th. Arsenal brought in Arshavin and we brought in Heskey.

Gregory teams were very similar a decade before when we were in similar position in leagues and cups, he admitted as much in an interview he did a few years back. Hardworking but if Merse wasn't on it, not a huge amount of flair. The dreaded 2000 cup final was the textbook example of where we fell short compared to the opposition.

Think that's the point we're reaching now in next 18 months in who we sign next. Is the new right winger we're going to sign just some who'll get up and down and help the full back out e.g. another Trez or will he have some imagination about him and cut inside and create beautiful passing triangles with Jack that will give Watkins 3-4 serious chances a game?

We need a bit more personality and flair in the final third. Traore was the right sort of idea but he's not got the consistancy yet to push us on up the league.

Our team spirit is good and we've got a nice defensive base to build on so good foundations at least but we badly need a go to attacking player who can step up and be team leader in games Jack isn't around, I see De Paul scored twice for Udinese tonight again so that's the calibre you're looking at from abroad if prem targets cost too much.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I dug out my Villa-Ajax programme a while back and was surprised to see that Suarez played. Our last great European night.

What a night!!!ย the atmosphere was electric! I remember driving home to Devon after totally buzzing!ย 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rbcuk said:

Just come up on sky sports that Joseโ€™sย been sacked

Never should have been given the job in the first place and his sacking is over due. I'd say he's gutted he's missing the league cup final, a chance to save face.ย 

Perfect timing for Mourinho to kick up a fuss and get himself sacked really. He's not really been backed brilliantly there and isn't doing the best of jobs but by leaving "because of the Super League" he can go with his reputation enhanced from the whole thing.

I don't doubt that all of the managers involved are against the Super League as a concept but for Mourinho in particular its the perfect get out of Spurs card that he's been waiting for.

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No Kane, no Jose. City could really demolish them in the final

I don't see that happening to one of The Super League members. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

ร—
ร—
ร‚