VillaGoMarching

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He is under 50 goals behind at the moment so i would say end of next season is a reasonable timeframe to break it 

41 was his best season ever, other than thats its 35, so I think he would have to go into the season after to break Jimmy Greave's record. 

It's simple to me with Kane.

Guy is one of the best strikers in world football. The best strikers in world football play in the champions league.

Harry Kane has played in CL in 5 of the last 6 years. He dosen't anymore baring Spurs basically winning their last 7. Indeed if they actually win the league cup they go into the conference europa league or whatever it's called.

If likes of Ronaldo and Messi missed out on playing in champions league for even one season they'd be straight on to their agents to move to PSG or something, it's that important for them for legacy and trying to win another. Basically the strop Messi has done in last 12 months is due to how many times Barca have blown leads in knock out stages.

Not enough at age 28 for him to be playing europa and well plenty in the top competition would have him so to me it's an easy decision to make although of course Levy ain't letting him go with 3 years left so will be an impasse over the summer I imagine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Be surprised if they just brush it off as harmless banter.

They probably got quite emulsional about it. You’re trading on eggshell with Twitter bantz and one mistake can finish you.

• Haha 1

I don't think there's a team with an end to the season that's more important to them than Spurs - they could still finish fourth and qualify for the Champions league and they could still drop out of Europe altogether.

Dropping out would be a disaster, they've got a stadium finance deal based on an NFL franchise that isn't there and Champions league income that won't be there, the value of their brand for sponsorship will be harmed, their coefficient will be damaged which will make life more difficult in future and their stars will have an eye on the exit, if we throw in a manager meltdown and the cost of that, a poor end to this season could damage Spurs for years to come.

Their run in isn't too bad, but they'll be well aware of the pressure.

• Like 1

On 12/04/2021 at 22:09, VillaChris said:

It's simple to me with Kane.

Guy is one of the best strikers in world football. The best strikers in world football play in the champions league.

Harry Kane has played in CL in 5 of the last 6 years. He dosen't anymore baring Spurs basically winning their last 7. Indeed if they actually win the league cup they go into the conference europa league or whatever it's called.

If likes of Ronaldo and Messi missed out on playing in champions league for even one season they'd be straight on to their agents to move to PSG or something, it's that important for them for legacy and trying to win another. Basically the strop Messi has done in last 12 months is due to how many times Barca have blown leads in knock out stages.

Not enough at age 28 for him to be playing europa and well plenty in the top competition would have him so to me it's an easy decision to make although of course Levy ain't letting him go with 3 years left so will be an impasse over the summer I imagine.

I assume you think Grealish should move to a bigger club this summer then too? 

26 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

For his own personal development and to maximise his career he should.

As a Villa fan I want him to stay, but he’s too good for where we are at the moment.

• Like 1

Kane is the same as grealish IMO the only way he walks out of the door is on a free when his contract expires 

There's no price tag or value on him, selling him would set them back years and he'd be irreplaceable in the market even if they were to try and sell the fans on some long term plan similar to what they did with the Bale cash 

Also think that what Jose said to kane in all or nothing is right - he needs to do more off the field, top 5 strikers in the world, England captain, no media or marketing profile at all, without looking it up who's boots does he wear? He's not the face of anything - and if someone did want to take a punt at buying him for £100m+ they'd need that marketability to balance the transfer fee 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Also think that what Jose said to kane in all or nothing is right - he needs to do more off the field, top 5 strikers in the world, England captain, no media or marketing profile at all, without looking it up who's boots does he wear? He's not the face of anything - and if someone did want to take a punt at buying him for £100m+ they'd need that marketability to balance the transfer fee 

He is disadvantaged in this respect in that he’s not particularly easy on the eye or the ears.

I was really surprised a few years back when it was announced he got the England captaincy, he said he was told a few weeks prior to the announcement and he just mumbled a bit about looking forward to it, just wanna get out there etc.

He had a few weeks to prepare something rousing and interesting in his mind for when the press release happened and he’d be asked about it. Following in the footsteps of great players, it’s an honour he will cherish etc. He had nothing. 

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

He is disadvantaged in this respect in that he’s not particularly easy on the eye or the ears.

I was really surprised a few years back when it was announced he got the England captaincy, he said he was told a few weeks prior to the announcement and he just mumbled a bit about looking forward to it, just wanna get out there etc.

He had a few weeks to prepare something rousing and interesting in his mind for when the press release happened and he’d be asked about it. Following in the footsteps of great players, it’s an honour he will cherish etc. He had nothing. 

I think that's fair enough, it shouldn't be a prerequisite of a footballer that he has to be in to that kind of thing or good at it 

But at the same time I think it is a prerequisite of a £100m footballer 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

I think that's fair enough, it shouldn't be a prerequisite of a footballer that he has to be in to that kind of thing or good at it 

But at the same time I think it is a prerequisite of a £100m footballer 

I agree, I just think it’s what’s holding him back from being a big star off the field. Even Rooney spoke better than Harry. 

I’m sure he doesn’t lose any sleep over it.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Jack is younger at 25 and he's grown with us and I'd like to think he's seen enough progress from us this season to give us another year, the long term contract helps aswell.

Think his main targets this season was to be part of top half team and break into England squad and he's achieved both.

However we need to be qualifying for europe before too long, ideally end of next season otherwise at 27 he'll have big decision to make. That was age where Gareth Barry started getting a bit restless and giving press interviews about wanting to win stuff and think Young left when he was about 26 so that tends to be the period where our key players historically have a good think about their future with us.

We're still on the rise with Jack whereas Spurs were playing CL every season with Kane up to last 18 months and now they won't be so they're actually declining in his peak years so that's the difference to me as things stand.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think there's a team with an end to the season that's more important to them than Spurs - they could still finish fourth and qualify for the Champions league and they could still drop out of Europe altogether.

Dropping out would be a disaster, they've got a stadium finance deal based on an NFL franchise that isn't there and Champions league income that won't be there, the value of their brand for sponsorship will be harmed, their coefficient will be damaged which will make life more difficult in future and their stars will have an eye on the exit, if we throw in a manager meltdown and the cost of that, a poor end to this season could damage Spurs for years to come.

Their run in isn't too bad, but they'll be well aware of the pressure.

Think they need to win 6 and draw 1 of their last 7 to make 4th as can't see with what West Ham have got left anything less than 68 points being enough for Spurs and you've got Chelsea and Liverpool on pretty good runs.

Not going to happen for Spurs with their defensive issues and general squad demotivation at Mourinho hammering them after every game, think Leeds will do them in a few weeks.

Got that Everton bobble hat ready for tonight OBE?😉 Would actually prefer Spurs to win tonight as we have more chance of finishing above Everton with what's left.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Think they need to win 6 and draw 1 of their last 7 to make 4th as can't see with what West Ham have got left anything less than 68 points being enough for Spurs and you've got Chelsea and Liverpool on pretty good runs.

Not going to happen for Spurs with their defensive issues and general squad demotivation at Mourinho hammering them after every game, think Leeds will do them in a few weeks.

Got that Everton bobble hat ready for tonight OBE?😉 Would actually prefer Spurs to win tonight as we have more chance of finishing above Everton with what's left.

I think Spurs are the easier team to be finishing above here, from Leeds perspective anyway. I think Everton will keep doing enough to not be caught by either of us, but Spurs are standing still and look like they have nothing to play for. All the games might be catching up with them too

Â