VillaGoMarching

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

You've got to admire the speed at which Kane can process things I suppose.

He's got a ball coming towards him which he can probably bring under control but that will then leave him on the touchline and off balance, he's travelling at speed.

In the time it takes to make two steps, he's spotted Cash has gone into a slide five feet to his right and slightly behind him. In two steps he's made the decision not to control the ball, and that he can reach Cash, he's  transmitted that to his feet, got a touch on the ball as it's gone by, turned almost at a right angle (what the commentators wrongly thought was him trying to 'chop' the ball back in a Cruyff turn) closed the gap between himself and Cash, realised he's not going to make that distance, understood that he is near enough  that he can throw a leg out into Cash to find contact, rearranged his balance to do that, felt the contact, leapt up, rolled and grabbed his ankle. All of it in two steps at full running pace.

The speed of his brain to understand all that, make the decisions and carry them out is incredible - it's what makes him the player he is.

Its good enough that I can only imagine he actively trains to do this. Its such an unnatural movement and as you say he's done it within a matter of seconds even though it goes against what the natural instinct of anybody playing football would be to do.

What Kane does and what Grealish does is not similar.

Firstly, Kane is a brilliant footballer so let’s get that out the way.

The difference is Grealish tells defenders you can either foul me or let me go. Making someone foul you is completely different to tricking the referee into seeing an infringement, which I think I’ve seen Grealish do maybe 2 or 3 times. Kane is at it game after game.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news-reactions-pub-talk-harry-kane-accused-of-manipulating-referees-20201102

https://www.trollfootball.me/videos/view/harry-kane-and-son-heung-min-dive-vs-brighton

These are just the ones that get attention because they’re in the penalty area.

• Like 1

For those old enough to remember, Harry reminds me a little of the way in which David Beckham was treated.

In 1997-98, every actual football fan, the people who went to games, the people who supported anyone but Man Utd, hated David Beckham. He was a petulant referee chasing, moaning, diving, preening, peacock. The media on the other hand, not only loved him, but insisted that everyone else loved him too; that he was the chisel jawed, blond haired idol of every fan in the country. Then in the 1998 World Cup he got sent off against Argentina and England crashed out - football fans were unsurprised, but the media saw betrayal and turned on him. They decided that it was in this moment that every fan in England chose to hate him - they were wrong, fans had already hated him for a year, but the ability journalists had to decide these things meant that he was then hounded in the press until his eventual moment of glory in the qualifier against Greece three years later that had him reinstated as golden boy by the papers and begrudgingly appreciated by fans.

Harry's there right now, he's Beckham in May 1998 - he's intensely disliked by an awful lot of fans around the country, he gets away with murder and he's a pretty unpleasant character - but he's still an absolute media darling, our Harry, best striker in the world. It's not a view that a great many supporters would support. I doubt very much that history will repeat itself this summer at the Euros, but if it does, it'd be nice if the press were to appreciate this time that fans have been way ahead of them in the case of both players.

It reminded me of the penalty Jack got v West brom in the play offs. He was close to the touchline and ball was probably going out of play but he pushed it ahead knowing I think Gibbs was already committed and sliding in so just waited for the contact and went over.

It's a annoying one to concede given the ball was all but out of play so no need to just slide in but there you go. Top level football is all about making correct decisions within split seconds and Cashy just got it a little wrong.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It reminded me of the penalty Jack got v West brom in the play offs. He was close to the touchline and ball was probably going out of play but he pushed it ahead knowing I think Gibbs was already committed and sliding in so just waited for the contact and went over.

It's a annoying one to concede given the ball was all but out of play so no need to just slide in but there you go. Top level football is all about making correct decisions within split seconds and Cashy just got it a little wrong.

I can't agree wit that. Gibbs slides in to make a tackle and Grealish takes advantage of the slide to push the ball past him and go over. Cash is five feet away and sliding alongside Kane in order to block a cross if Kane reaches the ball - in the Kane/Cash incident, if Kane and Cash continue on the same trajectory as they did when Cash starts his slide, they finish up five feet apart and behind the goal line - Kane moves away from the ball and turns ninety degrees to close that gap and then throws a leg out for the last foot - Cash isn't making a tackle, Gibbs was.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I can't agree wit that. Gibbs slides in to make a tackle and Grealish takes advantage of the slide to push the ball past him and go over. Cash is five feet away and sliding alongside Kane in order to block a cross if Kane reaches the ball - in the Kane/Cash incident, if Kane and Cash continue on the same trajectory as they did when Cash starts his slide, they finish up five feet apart and behind the goal line - Kane moves away from the ball and turns ninety degrees to close that gap and then throws a leg out for the last foot - Cash isn't making a tackle, Gibbs was.

Yep agree with that, grealishs quicker feet takes the ball away from gibbs attempt at playing the ball 

Plus the ball was still in play when gibbs brought him down, with Kane it's out

Apparently VAR checked that the ball was still in play at the time of contact. It was. Allegedly.

If it was out, no penalty.

Kane is still a Beavis-looking turdslurper anyway.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Apparently VAR checked that the ball was still in play at the time of contact. It was. Allegedly.

If it was out, no penalty.

Kane is still a Beavis-looking turdslurper anyway.

Beavis and Groutie from Porridge illegitimate offspring 

• Haha 1

On 22/03/2021 at 12:27, villa4europe said:

Yep agree with that, grealishs quicker feet takes the ball away from gibbs attempt at playing the ball 

Plus the ball was still in play when gibbs brought him down, with Kane it's out

I don't know where you're getting that idea. This was the moment of contact:

momentofcontact.jpg

• Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 10:46, OutByEaster? said:

For those old enough to remember, Harry reminds me a little of the way in which David Beckham was treated.

In 1997-98, every actual football fan, the people who went to games, the people who supported anyone but Man Utd, hated David Beckham. He was a petulant referee chasing, moaning, diving, preening, peacock. The media on the other hand, not only loved him, but insisted that everyone else loved him too; that he was the chisel jawed, blond haired idol of every fan in the country. Then in the 1998 World Cup he got sent off against Argentina and England crashed out - football fans were unsurprised, but the media saw betrayal and turned on him. They decided that it was in this moment that every fan in England chose to hate him - they were wrong, fans had already hated him for a year, but the ability journalists had to decide these things meant that he was then hounded in the press until his eventual moment of glory in the qualifier against Greece three years later that had him reinstated as golden boy by the papers and begrudgingly appreciated by fans.

Harry's there right now, he's Beckham in May 1998 - he's intensely disliked by an awful lot of fans around the country, he gets away with murder and he's a pretty unpleasant character - but he's still an absolute media darling, our Harry, best striker in the world. It's not a view that a great many supporters would support. I doubt very much that history will repeat itself this summer at the Euros, but if it does, it'd be nice if the press were to appreciate this time that fans have been way ahead of them in the case of both players.

I recall a song regarding posh spices sexual preferences ringing out at Villa Park around the time of his mass hatred

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Â