VillaGoMarching

Bale’s not kicked a ball yet and people are writing him off, more than a little premature if you ask me. I’m sure he will be plenty quick enough and if he is fit will be a great addition for them.

I don’t actually think £15m for Bale for a season is a lot of money compared to what they could potentially lose buying big from abroad and it not working out. I’d imagine that a fair chunk will be recovered commercially as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Bale’s not kicked a ball yet and people are writing him off, more than a little premature if you ask me. I’m sure he will be plenty quick enough and if he is fit will be a great addition for them.

I don’t actually think £15m for Bale for a season is a lot of money compared to what they could potentially lose buying big from abroad and it not working out. I’d imagine that a fair chunk will be recovered commercially as well.

Do they even have an obligation to buy him? If not, then they can't really go wrong for that price.

39 minutes ago, Genie said:

Seems strange to go for Bale for £15m in wages alone unless they are managing to pull a lot of revenue off him in marketing.

I think you've answered your own question

how to replace the lost CL revenue? you bring bale in and get jose an insta account...

maybe a little more to it than that, I think utd do it a lot too, its a marquee look at us we're a big club type signing, brings a buzz around the place rather than carrying on the slide because once that slide starts its hard to find the brakes, spurs will do well to get CL again this year, doesn't always work, arsenal for example cant find the formula despite some great big name expensive signings

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’m not writing him off, it’s just that Spurs are actually in a very fortunate position that they have several quality options upfront already. It’s the kind of signing we’d expect from Man United.

As you say, they may be able to offset most/all/more of his wage bill through marketing and merchandise which answers the question.

United did similar with Cavani, quite a big outlay for someone they’ll go no transfer for later but in their case they really need someone to do it on the pitch too.

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Talk on twitter amongst spurs fans that mourinho has said he will refuse to play a replayed postponepont if the villa game, insisting it must be played wed

I dont even think Mourinho is that bad, definitely playing mind games with the league

17 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Talk on twitter amongst spurs fans that mourinho has said he will refuse to play a replayed postponepont if the villa game, insisting it must be played wed

That’s nice of him to give us a 3-0 abandonment then.

Wonder if he’d be singing the same tune if it was the other way around, particular ironic if it’s true when 3 of the Spurs players decided to have a Christmas party.

It can of course be postponed, but then most likely need to be played in august at the earliest. We're at a point where if they continue to postpone games then the league won't be finished in time for the euros. Decision to be made.

Either teams play with what they got, or they have to look at a similar solution as last season.

7 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Agreed, but, like others have said, the PL set a precedent by postponing our match against newcastle. If they forced newcastle to play their u 23's, i would have zero issue with us doing the same against spurs

This is the issue, i understand Mourinho position but the Premier League decision is the ruling. We want to play, i know Dean Smith and thats his thng. Even today vs Liverpool was no excuse from Villa, others would have cried about it 

On 08/01/2021 at 19:04, rosenthal said:

It can of course be postponed, but then most likely need to be played in august at the earliest. We're at a point where if they continue to postpone games then the league won't be finished in time for the euros. Decision to be made.

Either teams play with what they got, or they have to look at a similar solution as last season.

They should have stuck with the original rule then, once they started cancelling games they set a precedent. Teams can’t be expected to disadvantage themselves especially after having previously agreed to games not going ahead.

I’m amazed that following the carnage of last season they didn’t get rules water tight for this year (especially when they have the hard stop of the Euros to think about).

Where there’s Covid cases in the group they should have to either player with what they have or forfeit the match.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m amazed that following the carnage of last season they didn’t get rules water tight for this year (especially when they have the hard stop of the Euros to think about).

Where there’s Covid cases in the group they should have to either player with what they have or forfeit the match.

I thought they brought in a forfeit and then decided against it for the Newcastle game. Which in turn has caused this issue

I dont blame Newcastle but the league in general

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

They had a rule then didn’t stick to it, the PL have made their bed...

On 30/10/2020 at 11:06, TrentVilla said:

This has aged well ;)

He may well come good over second half of the season but i doubt it, he’s finished at the top level and has been for 18 months now at least.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

This has aged well ;)

He may well come good over second half of the season but i doubt it, he’s finished at the top level and has been for 18 months now at least.

He looked like a man who wished he was still in Madrid yesterday plodding around the pitch at 8th tier Marine.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

He looked like a man who wished he was still in Madrid yesterday plodding around the pitch at 8th tier Marine.

Didn't he say he wanted to be at Madrid next season as its the last year of his contract?  Don't see how it matters where he is,  he won't be getting regular 1st team football at the highest level.   At least he can play golf in the sun though. 

13 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

So if moutinho is going to refuse to play our rearranged match, then that's 3 pts for us then isnt it?

I dont think one Wolves player missing will be enough for them to just hand us 3 points ;) 

Â