VillaGoMarching

Like I said since he's been sacked by spurs 3 of europes biggest clubs have also sacked their managers and he didn't get the job

When people say "top team" who are you talking? 

City, Liverpool, utd (it still is just about) bayern, dortmund, psg, juve, inter, napoli, barca, atletico, Madrid?? 

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Like I said since he's been sacked by spurs 3 of europes biggest clubs have also sacked their managers and he didn't get the job

City, Liverpool, utd (it still is just about) bayern, dortmund, psg, juve, inter, napoli, barca, atletico, Madrid?? 

Its been widely reported that Spurs are still paying his wages, or part of the severance package was a lump sum to not join another club for the rest of the season. If he takes another job his money from Spurs stops so I think that is a little mis-leading.

I realise what I'm saying is a bit contradictory... his record to date is nothing special. He's won nothing, and left Spurs in 14th place in the table. I was just picking up on the comment made by another poster that Spurs let "one of the best coaches in the world" leave the club. There's not a single piece of data to support that.

All that said, I could imagine Real Madrid, Manchester United or PSG hiring him if their jobs came up as they all love a smart suit and foreign accent.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Fun fact- we now have reached as many domestic cup finals as Spurs in the last 30 years. And we have been largely crap for about half of this time frame, so what is Spurs's excuse?

They've been prioritising establishing themselves as a top club in English football and being competitive in the top European competition, I guess.

20 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Fun fact- we now have reached as many domestic cup finals as Spurs in the last 30 years. And we have been largely crap for about half of this time frame, so what is Spurs's excuse?

We also have a common best finish in the Premier League era (2nd place, x1).

Just now, bobzy said:

You say it as if it’s a bad thing. I’d love to be the “new Arsenal”!

yeah definitely 

fortunately for us we didn't go mad taking the piss our of our biggest rivals for going mad over celebrating finishing 4th only to then look like those celebrations will be repeated by us 3/4 years down the line...

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

yeah definitely 

fortunately for us we didn't go mad taking the piss our of our biggest rivals for going mad over celebrating finishing 4th only to then look like those celebrations will be repeated by us 3/4 years down the line...

You'd be wrong to think we'd do otherwise, though.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bobzy said:

They've been prioritising establishing themselves as a top club in English football and being competitive in the top European competition, I guess.

Not strictly true, I believe going back to 2010 they've lost five FA cup semi finals in a row.

Also lost on penalties to Chelsea in semi final of league cup last season. So not quite throwing cup competitions in manner Liverpool have under Klopp. Just not quite good enough to reach the final on many occasions.

Edited by VillaChris

22 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Can see him at PSG given he played for them and would be easy one to get some trophies on his CV. PSG tend to give their managers two years to do things in CL so this is Tuchel's last chance given he messed up v Man. United last year.

Juve as Sarri isn't doing a great job there at all with their recent league losses putting the usual Scudetto in danger.

Man. United aswell as just can't see OGS being there next season.

Perhaps AC Milan would approach him but they're miles away from being a top team nowadays sadly.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Not strictly true, I believe going back to 2010 they've lost five FA cup semi finals in a row.

Also lost on penalties to Chelsea in semi final of league cup last season. So not quite throwing cup competitions in manner Liverpool have under Klopp. Just not quite good enough to reach the final on many occasions.

I didn't say they're throwing the cup - any side would love to win things and they've come close.  However, they haven't finished outside the top 6 since 2008/09 and haven't finished outside the top 4 since 2014/15.  It's been constant progression in terms of "top English teams" and a now relatively-established presence in the CL.

Bear in mind the post I responded to was "what's their excuse for only reaching as many cup finals as Villa in the last 30 years lol" - it's a pretty decent position to be in.

Realistically, they're challenging with Chelsea and Man Utd for that 4th position this season (Wolves and Everton may continue to fight, would be surprised if Sheff Utd do).  They're still in the CL and F.A. Cup too.  Pretty in the balance for another successful season (potentially with no trophies lol Spurs lol) or a bit of a failure.

• 4 weeks later...

Mourinho has already singled out Ndombele for the Luke Shaw treatment

though surprisingly Jose seems to have no problem playing some of the youth players at Spurs

Edited by Zatman

13 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Lucky draw. I know they have injuries but spurs look a shambles compared to what they were last season 

They were a shambles last season, they lost about 20 games in all competitions

I hold no blame to Jose or Poch. Levy has just done a Doug. That starting 11 last night was an insult to the club and the fans 

Except for loyalty Kane has no reason to want to stay at Spurs

Â